wbean

attention whore
Car(s)
09 CW Gti
photos taken by our community member @SWFK

#staticcaptains

SergioGoodtimes

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you guys know if rear tail light condensation is covered by the extended warranty? There hasn't been any accidents in that area and never been touched before.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Slothy

Distrusts the trustworthy
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Not sure, sorry. How extended is the warranty? I've got a 2008 as well and it's out of coverage as of last year - that said, it wasn't a CPO purchase.

What do you guys normally do for tires? I'm due for a new set of summers and it looks like nothing can compare cost-wise with just getting Tire Rack tires shipped south of the border and installed there. To get them shipped up here is something like $200 more (before install) than the total cost w/ install below the 49th. Checking prices online for some Canadian retailers and their prices are in the range of 50% more per tire compared to Tire Rack.

I'd love to buy them from a local shop and get them installed here but for $200+ price difference, it's kind of hard to justify.

Oh and VancouverGTI - sorry but probably won't be going for that tray any time soon, having just dropped $500 for a set of plugs, coils and a new valve cover gasket. Between the tires mentioned above and the hood replace/repair coming up, my car fund will be running a deficit for a while. :-(

Last edited:

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
Hey man, don't sweat it at all. That thing's been sitting in my storage for ages now, so I'm obviously in no rush to sell it. :)

As far as tires go, honestly... buy them in the U.S. I did a tonne of research on the subject and every time, buying them in Canada made the least sense.

I got my winter tires (Michelin PA3s) on steelies from Tire Rack, and it was a great experience, with the exception of getting bent over by UPS when they came across the border. Definitely better to drop ship to Point Roberts or Blaine and then pick them up.

With my summers (Michelin Pilot Super Sports), I got them from Discount Tire in Bellingham and saved almost $400 over what the local stores wanted. I'm sorry, I do like to support local businesses, but if they can't be more competitive than that, something's wrong. It's Michelin Canada that's the cause, as they charge more wholesale than I can buy for at U.S. retail prices.

One word of warning... the price was definitely right at Discount Tire, but they fucked up the edge of one of my Huffs. They peeled the clear coat on two spots (I cleaned and checked the rims beforehand and know they were near perfect), which makes it hard for me to consider using them again. Maybe remind them that you know a guy who had a bad experience, and that they'd best pay more attention with yours.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I find the price of tires between US and Canada to be a wash depending on what you're after. I'll give you the scenario I'm in right now. I'm looking at the Michelin A/S 3 in a 225/40/18H for my wife's car.

Tirerack price is $620US = $680CDN + lets say minimum $100 mount and balance + tax = $873 CDN

Costco Canada price = $699CDN + $80 mount and balance + tax = $873CDN (throw in manufacturer rebates and the deal is even better)

And no I wouldn't cross the border without declaring the tires even if I had them mounted in the States. I don't want to get flagged or butt hurt by the CBSA.

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
Welcome back, Vincent! :thumbsup:

And yes, every situation is different; you need to do the math on each. The Pilot Super Sports were ridiculous though... $214/ea vs. $350+ up here (including Costco). Rebates available on either side of the border.

And no... no-one should even think about crossing the border without declaring the tires. There's no duty on U.S. made tires (you can often ask for such, when there are two possible countries of origin), and tax is tax.

eason_c

Here is my latest ride.. Back to 4 Banger turbo again.

VWR79

Pikes Peak Racer
Love the CLA 45! A stock 2.0T with that kind of power from the factory is nothing less than impressive! The tuning options are looking quite positive for those cars!

eason_c

That must be really hard on you, Kadon. :thumbsup:

The car is great being a 4 banger. Just got a ECU for it and it's running over 410hp. Combine with launch control and lightness of the car, it's faster than my E63 below 200km/h...:frown: