GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official GVRD chat thread (#2)

Slothy

Distrusts the trustworthy
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Result of my car meeting a thrown rock...

:mad:

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
WTF??!? Thrown from a wheel, or a person?

If the latter, did you get an ID so we can stop by en masse and show them our disdain for their existence?

Slothy

Car(s)
2008 GTI
Person, as near I can tell - there were no vehicles it could have come from, and I doubt it was a meteorite impact. At first I thought something had bounced off my windshield, and the GF didn't see any damage, but I had the chance to squish up close to the glass at the next light and could see the big dent on my side of the hood. :-/

Looked to be about the size of a baseball/softball when it went over after impact but that was kinda quick to get a good look at it.

As annoyed as I am, I have a feeling it landed in the least damaging location it could have - windshield or grill would have been a lot worse, and it'd be a toss-up (no pun intended) whether my car would have cleared a rock that size or taken it to the crank case.

Anyone here have experience with getting their hood fixed for something like this? Would they normally roll it and repaint, or is replacement cheaper? Also the GF is concerned colour of the hood won't match perfectly with the rest of the car. Is there a considerable chance of that for these cars?

Last edited:

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
The paint will never match 100% perfect but a good shop will blend the hood respray with the fenders so you would never notice. You could always try and find a used hood at a wrecker which might be cheaper than body & paint work.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
Person, as near I can tell - there were no vehicles it could have come from, and I doubt it was a meteorite impact. At first I thought something had bounced off my windshield, and the GF didn't see any damage, but I had the chance to squish up close to the glass at the next light and could see the big dent on my side of the hood. :-/

Looked to be about the size of a baseball/softball when it went over after impact but that was kinda quick to get a good look at it.

As annoyed as I am, I have a feeling it landed in the least damaging location it could have - windshield or grill would have been a lot worse, and it'd be a toss-up (no pun intended) whether my car would have cleared a rock that size or taken it to the crank case.

Anyone here have experience with getting their hood fixed for something like this? Would they normally roll it and repaint, or is replacement cheaper? Also the GF is concerned colour of the hood won't match perfectly with the rest of the car. Is there a considerable chance of that for these cars?

Were there any flatbed trucks driving near you? Sometimes, truck drivers are dicks, and don't take enough time to sweep off the chips and pieces that fall off of the skids of whatever they were delivering. They hit a bump, rock flies off..

Slothy

Car(s)
2008 GTI
Were there any flatbed trucks driving near you? Sometimes, truck drivers are dicks, and don't take enough time to sweep off the chips and pieces that fall off of the skids of whatever they were delivering. They hit a bump, rock flies off..

No, only vehicle nearby was a Honda Ridgeline and the rock came from the other direction and too high up to have been from it. Where I was driving the highway goes through a bit of a gully and has a pedestrian overpass with a cage around it because people have done this same thing in the past.

Doesn't stop them from tossing stuff from the ends of it though.

The paint will never match 100% perfect but a good shop will blend the hood respray with the fenders so you would never notice. You could always try and find a used hood at a wrecker which might be cheaper than body & paint work.

Considered that. Golf or Rabbit hoods should work too? They look the same design, not sure if there is some minor difference I'm missing though.

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
Wow, that's just brutal. Have you talked to ICBC yet? I assume they're covering the work... minus the deductible, of course.

And freshpots is right; took a rock through the windshield of my truck, years ago, because some inconsiderate lump of a truck driver couldn't be bothered to sweep off the deck of his excavator trailer.

Slothy

Car(s)
2008 GTI
Already made the claim. They ruled it comprehensive and so yes, only the deductible for me to cover.

New development though... my headlights refuse to level and are stuck at the lowest position. It has been acting up intermittently but I assumed it just had to do with how my wheels were sitting when I started the car - normally shutting it off and turning it back on would correct it, but not tonight. Haven't looked into it online yet but unless I come across it as known issue with solution I guess I start with jacking up the car and checking the sensors, then disconnect the battery for a bit to see if that fixes this quirk. The high-beams still work, and I can hear the motors actuate, so they work. I can also hear (and feel) a clunk as they set back to their lower position though. I've also never seen them actually level much as I drove, but I just attributed that to the combination of stiffer suspension and increased amounts of low compared to stock.

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
Any chance it's just what happens when one or both of the leveling levers come off? Maybe they've popped off?

Just being hopeful for you... I have no idea what I'm talking about. Seems like you've had enough grief without this acting up as well.

Slothy

Car(s)
2008 GTI
Checked the front sensor and it was fine physically, but adjusting the sensor arm manually yielded no results. Will check rear one some time this weekend. If it checks out OK then I'll probably try the battery. If the battery reset doesn't fix it, then I guess it's time to find someone with a vagcom or take it to a shop and have them look at it. Sensors look to be $135 online, the actual control units are around $230, so I'd rather dig around a wreckers for one first, or you know, just go without it.