GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official GVRD chat thread (#2)

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Pfft, the GTI ain't much faster. :fighting0030:

I really wonder why VW hasn't stepped up their game with the mk7. 210hp has been left in the dust by the Focus ST, Mazdaspeed 3 hell even the Fiesta ST is almost as powerful as the GTI. And really for less money than the GTI you can get a rwd Toyobaru with almost the same power.

Slothy

Distrusts the trustworthy
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I wondered the same thing about the Mk7, and if I had to hazard a guess I'd say that they didn't want to step on the toes of other options. I seem to recall hearing that they didn't bring the Scirocco over here because VWoA thought it would eat into sales of the Golf R and GTI.

Wed-Wabbit

Passed Driver's Ed

I really wonder why VW hasn't stepped up their game with the mk7. 210hp has been left in the dust by the Focus ST, Mazdaspeed 3 hell even the Fiesta ST is almost as powerful as the GTI. And really for less money than the GTI you can get a rwd Toyobaru with almost the same power.

Kinda agree with this. I have a 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 and it eats my friend's mk6 gti for breakfast =)

If my girlfriend could drive stick, I probably would have pushed her to get a GTI :biggrin:

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R

The performance pack is 230hp and everyone knows VW underrates the shit out of their figures. I drove a euro spec mk7 GTI (had it for the night) and trust me, once you drive one, you'll forget about any Ford or Mazda very quickly.

Tapatalkin

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I seriously doubt they underrate their cars that much, this isn't a big block American muscle car we're talking about here. It's a FWD econobox along with the Fords and Mazda. If anyone thinks these cars are fast compared to real performance cars, I'm sorry they're not.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
I seriously doubt they underrate their cars that much, this isn't a big block American muscle car we're talking about here. It's a FWD econobox along with the Fords and Mazda. If anyone thinks these cars are fast compared to real performance cars, I'm sorry they're not.

The mk7 GTI felt almost on par with my at the time stage 2 gti, so I don't know what to tell you..

Tapatalkin

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
Part of it comes down to putting the power down to the road, and the performance packed MkVII will definitely do that nicely with its LSD.

VW is consistently behind the pack on power, but makes up for it with refinement and control. Truth is, going back and forth between Stage 2 and Stock maps, I really see the difference there... you can stomp the pedal almost anytime in Stock mode, and it's much easier to control.

When I test drove the Mazdaspeed 3 before the GTI, I was pretty underwhelmed by its torque steer. Therein lies the difference. Some people will very happily trade a little power for that refinement, and I understand why VW continues to follow that business philosophy.

It's not like they're having any trouble selling GTIs. :thumbsup:

The MkVII R, on the other hand, is a big jump forward for VW, finally coming closer to the needs of enthusiasts with some spare cash. That 300hp powerplant is long overdue, and provided it's not priced out of the market, might actually make me buy another VW.

And the Toyobaru may look close on paper, but dude... it's so not. The powerbands between the two platforms are very different. The GTI has power all over the band, but the boxer really favours hard driving at the upper end of the rev range.

You'll have way more success squirting through gaps in traffic with the available 200hp of a MkV GTI than with a BRZ, I'd bet.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
Part of it comes down to putting the power down to the road, and the performance packed MkVII will definitely do that nicely with its LSD.

VW is consistently behind the pack on power, but makes up for it with refinement and control. Truth is, going back and forth between Stage 2 and Stock maps, I really see the difference there... you can stomp the pedal almost anytime in Stock mode, and it's much easier to control.

When I test drove the Mazdaspeed 3 before the GTI, I was pretty underwhelmed by its torque steer. Therein lies the difference. Some people will very happily trade a little power for that refinement, and I understand why VW continues to follow that business philosophy.

It's not like they're having any trouble selling GTIs. :thumbsup:

The MkVII R, on the other hand, is a big jump forward for VW, finally coming closer to the needs of enthusiasts with some spare cash. That 300hp powerplant is long overdue, and provided it's not priced out of the market, might actually make me buy another VW.

And the Toyobaru may look close on paper, but dude... it's so not. The powerbands between the two platforms are very different. The GTI has power all over the band, but the boxer really favours hard driving at the upper end of the rev range.

You'll have way more success squirting through gaps in traffic with the available 200hp of a MkV GTI than with a BRZ, I'd bet.

Comparing the Toyobaru to the GTI is apples to oranges anyways.. Comparing the MK5 to the MK6, apples to apples. Comparing the MK7 to the MK6, strictly stock, again, apples to oranges. It's different in so many ways. Better/totally new chassis (MQB), better brakes, better suspension, LSD, more power, more features, redesigned TSI (EA888 I believe).. The Mk. 7 GTI is a fucking incredible car. Blows everything else out of the water IMHO

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
In it's class, sure it'll be a great car. The end all be all? We'll see.

On another note, this is the most active this thread has been in a long time!

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
In it's class, sure it'll be a great car. The end all be all? We'll see.

On another note, this is the most active this thread has been in a long time!

Uh, that's simply because you have me, a Torontonian, keeping it alive

I fucking hate Toronto.. I don't technically live in that terrible city, but north of it. I'd much rather be in BC :wub:

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Well as long as your not a leafs fan....