GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official GSTOCK autox thread

berndonfat

Ready to race!
OK guys lets pool together some knowledge on the GTI in stock class. I know tons of people have their car way over prepped for such a class but some of us do like the idea of trouncing people in a stock car.

My Previous car and setup

2009 Civic SI sedan

245/45/17 Star specs stock wheels
245/45/17 Hoosier a6/ TDR racing wheels 17x7
k&n drop in
HFP shocks

this set up alone was enough for me to win almost every local event in my area ( NC autox championships got me 3rd.....)

Now the GTI can be very capable of doing well in stock class in local and regional regions but its does have tough competition ( Civic Si, SRT4, and if the mini is being moved up from HS)

Current set up (STOCK)

PLANS
-2009 GTi
-245/40/17 Hoosier a6 or Kuhmo V710(they last longer) Rcomps
-Possibly 245/40/17 star specs to run in the new national street tire class
-Big front sway ( the car rotates just fine it needs to keep flat have more contact to the road during turn in and its steering ratio isnt as quick or doesnt feel as a good as the others)
-koni yellows ( obviously... this car is pretty well set up from the factory but lets face it the stock dampening rates are pretty soft and lateral transition is key in autox)

So chime in fellow stock classers!:bow:

Last edited:

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
I've never run GS only STX but don't you need to keep stock tire size in stock classes?

And I doubt you'd get those R-comps that are that large to fit even with the sky high stock suspension.

berndonfat

Ready to race!
I've never run GS only STX but don't you need to keep stock tire size in stock classes?

And I doubt you'd get those R-comps that are that large to fit even with the sky high stock suspension.

you can run as big of a tire as a you want as long as you dont have to cut or mod to fit it. I ran 245/45/17s in the civic, no rubbing issues plenty of members on the 8th have done it as well. i would think that the gti since it sits a bit higher than the civic could clear them.

I need to run the biggest tire i can. GRIP>RESPONSIVENESS

also i meant to post 245/40/17s for the future setup

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2005 S2000
Rear bar will be faster.

It would be much much better to control the front via shocks. The Konis are a good start, but as you develop the car you may want to consider a shock that can put out significantly more force than a yellow. Especially on compression where the Koni has very very little.

berndonfat

Ready to race!
Rear bar will be faster.

It would be much much better to control the front via shocks. The Konis are a good start, but as you develop the car you may want to consider a shock that can put out significantly more force than a yellow. Especially on compression where the Koni has very very little.

good post man. i assumed the front sway would have been better for this car specifically. i know the yellows only allow you to adjust rebound but they are a good bang for your buck. what would you recommend on shocks for adjustable rebound and compression? or just better rates?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2005 S2000
The Konis are a great entry level option, and can get most the job done. Especially on cars already well balanced like an RX8.

However the GTI is far from balanced and very heavy.

In stock class where you cannot change springs the shock forces are often used to act as stiffer springs to control body roll far more then they are asked to do in say an ST class like STX.

I would talk to AST/Moton, True Choice or Performance Shock about what type of options they could do for a GTI.

If you explain that you are planning on running competitive stock class autocross then they should know what type of valving you may need.

I know Brian at AST and he is very knowledgable and would be able to find you a reasonably priced solution especially with the new double digressive piston they have developed from the Grand AM cars.

GTI_Speed

SteelCities SCCA AutoX
Car(s)
08 GTI
Look into getting some lighter stock size wheels too. I think stock wheels are 7.5" in width right? RPF1's are an exact match and they are really effing light. Remember you get +/- 5mm on your offset too. Get a catback too and cut down on weight.

Wish I could have kept mine stock as I think GS is the best class for our car. The new street tire class seems pretty cool but aren't the rules kind of weird? Like won't you be racing FWD cars outside your class or something?

berndonfat

Ready to race!
Look into getting some lighter stock size wheels too. I think stock wheels are 7.5" in width right? RPF1's are an exact match and they are really effing light. Remember you get +/- 5mm on your offset too. Get a catback too and cut down on weight.

Wish I could have kept mine stock as I think GS is the best class for our car. The new street tire class seems pretty cool but aren't the rules kind of weird? Like won't you be racing FWD cars outside your class or something?

you will still be paxed accordingly to the class your car would fall under

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
you can run as big of a tire as a you want as long as you dont have to cut or mod to fit it. I ran 245/45/17s in the civic, no rubbing issues plenty of members on the 8th have done it as well. i would think that the gti since it sits a bit higher than the civic could clear them.

I need to run the biggest tire i can. GRIP>RESPONSIVENESS

also i meant to post 245/40/17s for the future setup

Oh, 245/40/17 will fit fine, that's what I run.

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2005 S2000
245 Hoosier does not exactly equal the width of a 245 street tire. I would buy one of the Hoosiers to test fit or find someones take off.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
245 Hoosier does not exactly equal the width of a 245 street tire. I would buy one of the Hoosiers to test fit or find someones take off.

yes, R comps typically run wider, you might be unpleasantly surprised to find the big ones rub something where the same size in a street tire didn't. BTW right now is a good time to start scoring lightly used test tires from Grand AM, there should be plenty of Conti 225-45-17's r-comps starting to float around. That size in sticky rubber works fine and guaranteed no fitment issues.

I think a big front bar works great on these cars, you'll find you won't need so much front camber with a stiffer front bar setting. Cars stays more planted and much better turn in. As always test first.

GTI_Speed

SteelCities SCCA AutoX
Car(s)
08 GTI
yes, R comps typically run wider, you might be unpleasantly surprised to find the big ones rub something where the same size in a street tire didn't. BTW right now is a good time to start scoring lightly used test tires from Grand AM, there should be plenty of Conti 225-45-17's r-comps starting to float around. That size in sticky rubber works fine and guaranteed no fitment issues.

I think a big front bar works great on these cars, you'll find you won't need so much front camber with a stiffer front bar setting. Cars stays more planted and much better turn in. As always test first.

Grand Am Tires are technically illegal for the stock classes. The tires need to be DOT approved. Regionally no one will probably care because they aren't as fast as an A6 but at the Divisional level and up you might catch some flack.

Boston, know any good places to find them though? Checked out Turner motorsports but they had lots of one offs.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Grand Am Tires are technically illegal for the stock classes. The tires need to be DOT approved. Regionally no one will probably care because they aren't as fast as an A6 but at the Divisional level and up you might catch some flack.

Boston, know any good places to find them though? Checked out Turner motorsports but they had lots of one offs.

Try bimmerworld. They have minimal use in stock now for $100/tire. Note that these are race tires, you may only get a couple weekends out of them at most (even if brand new), but max grip. But as said watch the class rules that you run in first.