Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Sauber

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Manor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
2. Rules are rules. They don’t get ignored just because it would make the race/season more interesting. That would take all what little credibility the stewards have left.

No, rules aren't rules. Real life is not that simple, otherwise you would have no need for lawyers, mediation, arbitration, courts, panels, hearings, etc. There is a lot of leeway for what rulings get made.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
FFR Cobra, GX470
Yep, from grass to pavement there is still a traction issue happening.

Never forget Mercedes is large F1 sponsor, and its safety car is sponsored by Mercedes....makes you wonder what else they could buy. (fia) :thumbsup: :p

Montreal is essentially a city circuit in terms of track width as well...where was he supposed to go ? i hear ya there.

IF they absolutely HAD TO penalize him...that shouldve been a change of position from p1 to p2...which would at least give him a few laps to try to steal his position back.

5 seconds though? thats a slap in the face. Saw somewhere else the conspiracy theories that were saying that leclerc was closing in on vettels 5 second window but then somehow slowly fell back to +6 seconds...

interesting theory that does make a lot of sense actually.

Let them drive agreed.

Only one way to solve this. Will play F1 2018 tonight and recreate the incident.

Lol implying that Mercedes is conspiring behind the scenes more than Ferrari is laughable.

The reason he got a 5 second penalty instead of just conceding the position is because they felt he deliberately didn’t do enough to allow Hamilton space.

Guaranteed Leclerq was going to bump Vettel to 3rd, but someone pulled rank and backed him off because you don’t want to upset boo hoo hoo Sebastian Vettel lol. Leclerq is better. He’s the future. Vettel is done.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
FFR Cobra, GX470
No, rules aren't rules. Real life is not that simple, otherwise you would have no need for lawyers, mediation, arbitration, courts, panels, hearings, etc. There is a lot of leeway for what rulings get made.

We’re not talking about real life. We’re talking about racing. It’s supposed to be black and white :iono:

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
We’re not talking about real life. We’re talking about racing. It’s supposed to be black and white :iono:

Really? You think a sport that happens at anywhere from 100 mph to 240 mph is "black and white"?

I've yet to see a single sport where the rules are black and white and racing far from that sport. If it was black and white, we wouldn't need the Stewards and could just put the data into a computer and let it make the decision.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
Vettel acted like a giant crybaby post race too. Really disappointing.

He acted the same way Hamilton did, really. It was all theatrics by everyone involved.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
FFR Cobra, GX470
He acted the same way Hamilton did, really. It was all theatrics by everyone involved.

Never seen Hamilton avoid the paddock the way Vettel did. And move the 1st and 2nd place bollards. And Lewis had his Belgium GP victory taken away in the same fashion. Just admit you can’t be fair and partial because you’re a Vettel/Ferrari fanboi.

Here’s another article explaining why.

https://jalopnik.com/final-wheel-movement-decided-controversial-penalty-that-1835372654

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
Never seen Hamilton avoid the paddock the way Vettel did. And move the 1st and 2nd place bollards. And Lewis had his Belgium GP victory taken away in the same fashion. Just admit you can’t be fair and partial because you’re a Vettel/Ferrari fanboi.

Here’s another article explaining why.

https://jalopnik.com/final-wheel-movement-decided-controversial-penalty-that-1835372654

Lol, it's funny because I'm pretty certain you're a Mercedes fanboi yourself, I just wasn't going to stoop to calling you out on it.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion

It was necessary for him act that way to show the severity of the penalty that was placed against him. He made a mistake, barely saved his car from spinning....kept the lead and then got a race win stolen from him. Cant really blame the guy for getting mad. Im really glad he did what he did... brought FIA to the front of F1 conversation (as we are talking about it now) .

TLDR
drastic times call for drastic measures

Leclerc is awesome yeah agreed. Have a listen to his team radio when he found out Vettels penalty cost him the win. :bellyroll::bellyroll:

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
FFR Cobra, GX470
Lol, it's funny because I'm pretty certain you're a Mercedes fanboi yourself, I just wasn't going to stoop to calling you out on it.

Yeah, but I don’t allow it to so blatantly blur my judgement. That’s what’s funny. I’m a Lewis fan because he’s a blue collar kid. One of the last. I’m a fan of F1 in general. I’d love it if they’d let the boys race. Better yet, I’d rather they go back to v12 manually shifted death machines, but that’s not the reality, so unfortunately we have to abide by the rules, no matter our emotional attachment to a certain driver. And bringing up tantrums after that embarrassing display by Vettel lol come on man. And does it really matter. Vettel broke under the pressure. Again. Can’t blame that on Lewis or Mercedes. He had control and couldn’t hack it.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
FFR Cobra, GX470
It was necessary for him act that way to show the severity of the penalty that was placed against him. He made a mistake, barely saved his car from spinning....kept the lead and then got a race win stolen from him. Cant really blame the guy for getting mad. Im really glad he did what he did... brought FIA to the front of F1 conversation (as we are talking about it now) .

TLDR

Leclerc is awesome yeah agreed. Have a listen to his team radio when he found out Vettels penalty cost him the win. :bellyroll::bellyroll:

Lol necessary for him to act that way. Try that one at your job and let me know how that works out. The FIA doesn’t care. It’s like any other private organization. They answer to know one. Your opinion matters not. Let’s see if things change going forward after his tantrum lol.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion

TLDR

I agree. Listen to Hamilton on the radio, he's clearly talking it up in a way that ensures it gets reviewed and increases the odds it gets penalized. Vettel is doing the same thing. Making a big deal out of it so the fans and industry are talking about the decision. It's all bad for F1 and is frankly a shitty decision.

The argument that Hamilton "forced the error" and therefore earned the race is also odd to me. Hamilton had 70 laps to pass Vettel and it didn't happen. If Hamilton only had one opportunity all race to pass, then did he really "earn" the win?

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
FFR Cobra, GX470
I agree. Listen to Hamilton on the radio, he's clearly talking it up in a way that ensures it gets reviewed and increases the odds it gets penalized. Vettel is doing the same thing. Making a big deal out of it so the fans and industry are talking about the decision. It's all bad for F1 and is frankly a shitty decision.

The argument that Hamilton "forced the error" and therefore earned the race is also odd to me. Hamilton had 70 laps to pass Vettel and it didn't happen. If Hamilton only had one opportunity all race to pass, then did he really "earn" the win?

Well that’s even worse lol. So Vettel just sucks at driving and that’s why he made a mistake. Lewis was absolutely pushing him. Lewis was well within DRS for quite a few laps at the end and waiting for an opportunity to pass. Instead he got gifted a mistake. Job done.

You act like this is the first time a shitty ruling has been made in F1 and a big deal has been made about it. Has anything changed over the years for the better?

Of course Lewis brought it to the attention of the stewards. And rightfully so. His job is to win. At all costs. Vettel would’ve done the same. It’s gamesmanship. It’s part of every sport.