GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Officer Involved Shooting: Muskogee, OK

razr390

Go Kart Champion
Read and watch everything, then discuss.

Video contains person getting shot & killed. VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED.

Transcript from: http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/griffin/NEWSon6/PDF/1501/Walker-Powerpoint.pdf
OFFICER INVOLVED SHOOTING,
Muskogee, Oklahoma, Jan. 17, 2015
Prepared for the debriefing of this
incident, presented on January 22,
2015, at the City of Muskogee.

Officer Chansey McMillin

 Officer Chansey McMillin.
With MPD since July 5, 2012. Previously a Federal Police Officer with the BIA. Combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. Awarded
Bronze Star.

The suspect
Terrance Walker, Jr.

The Call
 MPD received a 911 call at 3:50 p.m. The caller said a girl had come into the church and reported that there was a man outside threatening to kill her. The suspect was described as a black male having brown, short dreadlocks, and that he was out front in the church parking lot. Further, the caller said the suspect told the girl he had a gun.

Officer McMillin arrives

 Officer McMillin arrived about 2 minutes later. He found the church parking lot somewhat crowded and there were numerous parked cars and people milling about.

 Officer McMillin got out of his car and approached the front of the church when a man (later identified as the person who
called 911) pointed out where the suspect was located. Officer McMillin’s encounter with the suspect

 Officer McMillin approached the suspect who was standing in the lot speaking with a female.

 Officer McMillin told the suspect to take his hands out of his pocket and asked the suspect if he had anything that could hurt
him.

 The suspect complied initially, but as Officer McMillin tried to get his hands behind his back for a pat down search, the suspect tensed up. The suspect resists, tries to hit Officer McMillin, and flees.

 Before Officer McMillin could pat the suspect down, he spun around and attempted to strike Officer McMillin with his elbow and then fist.

Suspect’s attempted battery of
Officer McMillin

 Here is another snapshot extracted from Officer McMillin’s Body camera showing the attempted battery by the suspect.

 The suspect then began running northbound on 24th Street. Officer McMillin advised dispatch that he had ‘one running
northbound.’ As Officer McMillin gave pursuit, the suspect dropped a silver semi-automatic hand gun and the suspect stopped to pick it up. Officer McMillin could see that as the suspect tried to pick up the gun, he was targeting him. Officer McMillin then began to draw his gun from his holster on the left side of his body, causing him to turn slightly to the left. In the meantime, the suspect dropped his gun again, and it landed slightly behind him and between his legs. The suspect finally gained control of the gun, again looked directly at Officer McMillin and then raised the gun towards him. Officer McMillin, being in fear of his life and for the lives of all the citizens in the area, began to shoot at the suspect.

Officer McMillin fired five rounds in approximately 1.3 seconds, and the suspect then fell to the ground and rolled partially into the culvert next to the road. From the time the suspect attempted his assault on Officer McMillin and fled, until the shooting was over, 12 seconds elapsed. From the time Officer McMillin first saw the suspect’s gun, until he fired his last shot, less than 5 seconds elapsed. Officer McMillin was the lone Officer on the scene for the next minute and twenty seconds before
the first backers arrived.

 During that time McMillin had interference from a third party who wanted to check on the suspect. Officer McMillin had to tell him, and others, repeatedly to get back. He announced that the suspect “has a gun.” Officer McMillin continued to cover the suspect as his backers arrived. An officer approached the suspect, and McMillin told him “he’s got a gun.” The backing officer then secured the suspect’s right arm and located his gun and tossed it on the east bank of the culvert. Officer McMillin then stepped across the culvert and retrieved the gun. It was a semi-automatic pistol which had the hammer cocked when Officer McMillin picked it up. Officer McMillin gave the gun to another officer to secure. That officer told McMillin that the gun was loaded and had a round in the chamber.A short time later Officer McMillin left the scene and went to the Muskogee Police Department.

Anticipated questions

 Why did Officer McMillin chase the suspect since it appears he was never placed under arrest?
 Answer: The suspect was a suspect in a felony crime under Oklahoma law: 21 OS 1378, Planning or Threatening a Violent Act, thereby giving Officer McMillin the right to detain him. By MPD policy and under his oath of office, Officer McMillin had an affirmative duty to detain and investigate the allegations of a death threat made by the suspect to the victim. Further, the suspect had attempted to assault and batter Officer McMillin, which is also a crime under Oklahoma law, 21 OS 649.

 What facts in this case would justify the use of deadly force?
 Answer: Once Officer McMillin saw the gun fall on the ground and the suspect stopped to retrieve it, and then pointed it towards him, the officer was justified in using deadly force to defend himself, and the other citizens who were in the immediate area. Based on the information he had from the dispatcher about the suspect, in conjunction with the suspect’s actions, the suspect posed an imminent threat of serious bodily harm or death to any officer or citizen he came into
contact with.

 Why did Officer McMillin not let the citizen who was present immediately after the shooting go and check on the suspect who was lying still on the ground?
 Answer: Officer McMillin had no way of knowing if the suspect was either dead or alive. Police protocol at MPD is to have a wounded and armed suspect covered at gunpoint while another officer approaches and secures the suspect. Further, Officer McMillin had a duty to the well-intentioned citizen to protect him in the event the suspect was still alive and in possession of a gun. Finally, the suspect and the surrounding area had become a crime scene, and all efforts had to be made to preserve the scene for proper analysis by investigators.

 Why did Officer McMillin fire five shots when it looks like the last two or three were after the suspect was facing completely away from Officer McMillin?
 Answer: The suspect’s rapid movements were a critical factor causing the suspect to be shot from behind. When an officer shoots at a moving suspect, his aim is at something that occurred in the past, which can make a tremendous difference in where the bullet strikes. All five of Officer McMillin’s shotswere fired in less than 1.3 seconds. The average reaction time in a non-stress situation for an officer to decide to fire an already unholstered gun is about ¼ of a second to ½ a second. The same amount of time is required for your brain to send a message to tell your trigger finger to stop firing. This accounts
for the last two or three shots Officer McMillin fired. This factor is especially critical to the analysis in this case since the
shooting occurred in a tense, uncertain, and rapidly evolving manner. It is well documented in human factors studies that stress increases reaction and perception times.

http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/griffin/NEWSon6/PDF/1501/Walker-Powerpoint.pdf

From a news article:

MUSKOGEE, Okla. — Police on Friday released body-camera video of a fatal officer-involved shooting outside a wedding.

Police received a call about 3:45 p.m. on Jan. 16 reporting a domestic disturbance at the Old Agency Baptist Church in the 1800 block of N 24th, police Cpl. Mike Mahan said.

Pastor Andre Jones called 911 and said an armed man was threatening to kill a woman who was attending a wedding.

"He's here with a gun," Jones said on the 911 call. "I need a police officer because I got to stop this. I got a whole bunch of people here and I don't need nobody hurt."

Sgt. Michael Mahan said Friday that witnesses at the scene told police that Terence Walker, 21, told the woman at the wedding he "had a bullet with her name on it."

When Muskogee officer Chansey McMillin arrived to investigate the disturbance report, he met Walker outside the church.

Video released Friday shows McMillin approach Walker and begin to search for weapons. The officer remarks that Walker seems nervous and asks Walker to relax.

Walker then breaks away from McMillin and runs from the parking lot. Mahan said Walker hit the officer with his elbow in his attempt to get away.

McMillins chases Walker and at one point Walker drops something on the ground.

When Walker goes back to retrieve it, McMillin draws his gun and fires five times.

"It is our belief that the video clearly shows the suspect pointing the gun at the officer," Mahan said.

The video shows Walker fall to the ground. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

A loaded pistol was found near Walker, Muskogee police said. The video shows officers picking up the gun close to Walker's body.

The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation is investigating the shooting, and McMillin has been placed on administrative leave.

Near the end of the video, Officer McMillan can be heard saying, "Why did he have to do that?"

Last edited:

graveshb

Go Kart Champion

Interesting case, I think it is definitively excessive use of force. From what I saw in the video, the victim dropped his gun while running, went to pick it up, and from my best judgement not with the intent to fire upon the officer or anyone else, and then was shot 5 times. The victim was definitely in the wrong for threatening like that, and perhaps I'm being judgmental, but I doubt he had a concealed carry license to legally carry the gun he was found next to, but I do not believe shooting him was the right thing to do in that situation. Also watching someone die like that is fucked up. Preface your video with a warning, not that I'm mad or wouldn't have watched it regardless given you asked me to.

razr390

Go Kart Champion
Interesting case, I think it is definitively excessive use of force. From what I saw in the video, the victim dropped his gun while running, went to pick it up, and from my best judgement not with the intent to fire upon the officer or anyone else, and then was shot 5 times. The victim was definitely in the wrong for threatening like that, and perhaps I'm being judgmental, but I doubt he had a concealed carry license to legally carry the gun he was found next to, but I do not believe shooting him was the right thing to do in that situation. Also watching someone die like that is fucked up. Preface your video with a warning, not that I'm mad or wouldn't have watched it regardless given you asked me to.

Thanks Gravy. I understand where you think it could be excessive force. I think, to be fair, that the given circumstances as to why the cop was called to begin with makes the story add up. The person then attempted assault and escape on the officer.

We could argue what happened, but it was a split second decision for the officer to draw & shoot as to when the suspect started running after he picked up the gun.

To me, though, I think that the suspect put the nail in his own coffin. You can run, but when you stop and pick up a loaded gun TWICE instead of running shows other possible intent, especially with a car that close to you (either hostage or carjacking). I don't think it was excessive due to the fact that it was a split second decision. It sucks that somebody had to die in that scenario. But the cop did everything right in reaction to the suspects actions, in my opinion.

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
Thanks Gravy. I understand where you think it could be excessive force. I think, to be fair, that the given circumstances as to why the cop was called to begin with makes the story add up. The person then attempted assault and escape on the officer.

We could argue what happened, but it was a split second decision for the officer to draw & shoot as to when the suspect started running after he picked up the gun.

To me, though, I think that the suspect put the nail in his own coffin. You can run, but when you stop and pick up a loaded gun TWICE instead of running shows other possible intent, especially with a car that close to you (either hostage or carjacking). I don't think it was excessive due to the fact that it was a split second decision. It sucks that somebody had to die in that scenario. But the cop did everything right in reaction to the suspects actions, in my opinion.

Fair enough, I'm not saying that the officer acted improperly or that I would have done any different in his situation, just my take.

razr390

Go Kart Champion
Fair enough, I'm not saying that the officer acted improperly or that I would have done any different in his situation, just my take.

For sure. If you look at the video, specifically at 1:15, that is a true life/death scenario in the eyes of the officer.

The suspect is FACING the officer and picking the weapon up. At that point the officer has to assume the worst. To be fair, if any of us were in that officer's shoes I think it's a safe bet we would assume the worst at the point where the suspect is facing you and picking up the gun.

razr390

Go Kart Champion
Here is the screenshot of the video at 1:15. Given the preceding events:
- assault on officer
- fleeing an officer
- 911 call stating make described as suspect has gun and threatening woman in church

What would you do when you saw the same suspect in this position? Torso/body facing you and picking up a gun.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422261202.457337.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

razr390

Go Kart Champion
Also here is a snap of the gun pulled from the suspect (note the silver gun, black grip; ALSO, HAMMER IS COCKED)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422261593.483345.jpg

Pic of the object suspect was picking up(shaped like a gun, silver and black toward the end)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422261623.304316.jpg

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Do we need separate threads for these?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
"get back, get back, I just fucked this guy up bad...."

razr390

Go Kart Champion
I just want to get relevant perspectives. If mods would like me to have 1 thread instead then so be it.

Sebastian89

Ready to race!
Completely justified... You try to pick up the gun in a flight situation, your intent is to use it, whether to shoot it or use it as leverage, the officer cannot know what is going through the suspect's mind.... The suspect was carrying a gun IN A CHURCH, while threatening to use it. So yeah... He sealed his fate. Even if he started shooting at the officer, or the officer would've had a place where he can take cover, with as many people in the parking lot, he was bound to hit someone... I'm all about keeping the police responsible for their actions and so on, but this incident shouldn't even raise the question about the validity of the officer's decision as it was the right one.

razr390

Go Kart Champion
Completely justified... You try to pick up the gun in a flight situation, your intent is to use it, whether to shoot it or use it as leverage, the officer cannot know what is going through the suspect's mind.... The suspect was carrying a gun IN A CHURCH, while threatening to use it. So yeah... He sealed his fate. Even if he started shooting at the officer, or the officer would've had a place where he can take cover, with as many people in the parking lot, he was bound to hit someone... I'm all about keeping the police responsible for their actions and so on, but this incident shouldn't even raise the question about the validity of the officer's decision as it was the right one.

That's what I thought too. In the sense that out of all of recent police shootings I think this is one of the more justified shootings.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Paging the Sharpton squad :laugh: