GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Off Topic Random Chat v5.8 - Memes and Gifs Welcomed

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Had some incredibly delicious sushi while in NYC last week. The gf and I splurged a bit and went to a one-star Michelin spot called Kanoyama in LES. Man, goddamn what delicious sushi. Choice cuts. The rice was perfect, too.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
I can’t do sushi. Well I can choke it down and kinda like a California roll but if given a choice will not pick sushi. I’m not very cultured lol

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Had some incredibly delicious sushi while in NYC last week. The gf and I splurged a bit and went to a one-star Michelin spot called Kanoyama in LES. Man, goddamn what delicious sushi. Choice cuts. The rice was perfect, too.
Oh wow, cant imagine the price on that meal . Favorite fish you had?

I can’t do sushi. Well I can choke it down and kinda like a California roll but if given a choice will not pick sushi. I’m not very cultured lol
Can we take a vote on if California roll counts as sushi? +1 for it does not lol

Next time youre feeling adventurous try a spicy tuna roll, i feel like thats the next step towards intro to sushi.

Just curious: When you order Chinese whats your go to food order?

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Counter-intuitively, try eel. It's the one that my friends who aren't into sushi consistently like. The texture could be hit or miss (not crazy, but not chicken), but it's always fully cooked and the flavor of the sauce they use is very savory, kinda like BBQ sauce - doesn't taste fishy. You might like it. But if you don't like fishy flavors, then yeah there's no convincing you for the rest.

Can we take a vote on if California roll counts as sushi? +1 for it does not lol
Next time youre feeling adventurous try a spicy tuna roll, i feel like thats the next step towards intro to sushi.
It wasn't omakase or prix fixe or anything like that - it came out to $120 with tip for seaweed salad, sushi/sashimi for two, and a small dessert. Really not bad when you consider the quality. The restaurant's omakase tasting menu is $165 per guest, so that's pretty ??
Best fish on the plate was fatty bluefin tuna (shit just melted on your tongue), followed by salt-crusted Spanish mackerel. The fatty yellowfin tuna and the salmon were also top contenders.

I hardly order Chinese because it all kinda sucks in my town. When I'm in better cities, love me some dim sum - especially pork buns, soup dumplings and chicken feet. Hand-pulled noodles are good and basically any Szechuan is tasty.

Last edited:

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Counter-intuitively, try eel. It's the one that my friends who aren't into sushi consistently like. The texture could be hit or miss (not crazy, but not chicken), but it's always fully cooked and the flavor of the sauce they use is very savory, kinda like BBQ sauce - doesn't taste fishy. You might like it. But if you don't like fishy flavors, then yeah there's no convincing you for the rest.

It wasn't omakase or prix fixe or anything like that - it came out to $120 with tip for seaweed salad, sushi/sashimi for two, and a small dessert. Really not bad when you consider the quality. The restaurant's omakase tasting menu is $165 per guest, so that's pretty ??
Best fish on the plate was fatty bluefin tuna (shit just melted on your tongue), followed by salt-crusted Spanish mackerel. The fatty yellowfin tuna and the salmon were also top contenders.

I hardly order Chinese because it all kinda sucks in my town. When I'm in better cities, love me some dim sum - especially pork buns, soup dumplings and chicken feet. Hand-pulled noodles are good and basically any Szechuan is tasty.

Ive never hade eel that wasnt chewy, or at least too much mouth chew for me to not care for it. never heard of omakase or prix fixe. Have had seaweed salad before though. I generally opt for the basics, tuna, salmon,yellow tail , some type of spicy roll etc.

Fatty bluefin sounds delicious , was it mackerel preserved in the salt or something? sounds interesting

When it comes to chinese im pretty much down for any dish that has szechuan hot peppercorns in it...i also like beef egg foo young which texture wise isnt for everyone.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Ive never hade eel that wasnt chewy, or at least too much mouth chew for me to not care for it. never heard of omakase or prix fixe. Have had seaweed salad before though. I generally opt for the basics, tuna, salmon,yellow tail , some type of spicy roll etc.

Fatty bluefin sounds delicious , was it mackerel preserved in the salt or something? sounds interesting

When it comes to chinese im pretty much down for any dish that has szechuan hot peppercorns in it...i also like beef egg foo young which texture wise isnt for everyone.
Eel can be chewy, but I've had it feel good more often than not. Octopus and squid are almost always too chewy/rubbery at run-of-the-mill sushi places - takes going to an expensive place to find some with good texture.
Omakase is just a Japanese term for leaving dinner up to the chef. Menu changes day by day, you get what the chef thought was the best stuff at the market that day. The flavors are also carefully balanced so the pieces you eat after another don't conflict with the previous piece or the next one. Prix fixe is French for "fixed price", so usually a set multi-course meal. It can be the same day-by-day, might change seasonally. Or it may also change with the whim of the chef, like omakase.

Man, some salmon egg roe and a raw quail egg on top is primo. You gotta love that salty, briny, fishy flavor though. Yeah, I believe the mackerel was preserved in salt. They had fresh wasabi, too - none of the typical green horseradish.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
JFC these WWIII memes are outta control.

IMG_1578340798374.jpg

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude

The people that took me out for sushi said that a California didn't really count lol. Was visiting extended family in Page, Arizona which happens to have a very good sushi restaurant run by a California sushi chef. They ordered tons of food and I tried a little bit of everything and was not impressed. Cold rice creeps me out too.

Sweet and Sour chicken, Beef/Chicken with broccoli, General Tso, or BBQ beef tips is about all I order. Fried rice no onions or white.

chicken feet.

Nope, don't want any parts of that.

Eel can be chewy, but I've had it feel good more often than not. Octopus and squid are almost always too chewy/rubbery at run-of-the-mill sushi places - takes going to an expensive place to find some with good texture.
Omakase is just a Japanese term for leaving dinner up to the chef. Menu changes day by day, you get what the chef thought was the best stuff at the market that day. The flavors are also carefully balanced so the pieces you eat after another don't conflict with the previous piece or the next one. Prix fixe is French for "fixed price", so usually a set multi-course meal. It can be the same day-by-day, might change seasonally. Or it may also change with the whim of the chef, like omakase.

If Eel doesn't have a fishy taste I could probably do that. I am weird about consistency. I also don't feel like I am missing out on anything by never eating squid or octopus. I am not a food connoisseur though.

Man, some salmon egg roe and a raw quail egg on top is primo. You gotta love that salty, briny, fishy flavor though.

Yeah I'll just take a steak or good burger lol.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
The people that took me out for sushi said that a California didn't really count lol. Was visiting extended family in Page, Arizona which happens to have a very good sushi restaurant run by a California sushi chef. They ordered tons of food and I tried a little bit of everything and was not impressed. Cold rice creeps me out too.

Sweet and Sour chicken, Beef/Chicken with broccoli, General Tso, or BBQ beef tips is about all I order. Fried rice no onions or white.

If Eel doesn't have a fishy taste I could probably do that. I am weird about consistency. I also don't feel like I am missing out on anything by never eating squid or octopus. I am not a food connoisseur though.
Raw fish isn't for everyone, especially raw octo & squid. But man, if you're ever at a Spanish tapas place worth its salt, try some grilled octopus. When it's done right it isn't chewy at all and it tastes awesome. The octopus flavor is so mild that it kinda just complements whatever seasoning they used.
Chicken feet are fuckin weird and I didn't like them at first because of the texture. But I tried them a few more times and started appreciating it. Fried pig ear is another weird thing that tastes awesome.

Opinions on oysters? I hated them at first but now with just a squeeze of lemon I could put away over a dozen. So good.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion

Man, some salmon egg roe and a raw quail egg on top is primo. You gotta love that salty, briny, fishy flavor though. Yeah, I believe the mackerel was preserved in salt. They had fresh wasabi, too - none of the typical green horseradish.
Fresh wasabi hard and expensive to come by .

I had a really good experience with calamari recently at an italian restaraunt, cooked over a grill (unbreaded)

I would opt for Omakase if i was really splurging on the meal , my old sushi place (before the chef left) would ask you a few questions and then just serve you random items. It was really cool actually , almost mind reader like lol.

Fancy french terms aye? Fun fact: when i order at starbucks i just say large or small when ordering.

Salmon egg roe is pretty good, i prefer to wash down the briny salty stuff with a sapparo

Yeah I'll just take a steak or good burger lol.
If youve had calamari youve had squid before.

Yeah thats a pretty americanized chinese order, had to ask since you said not very well cultured lol. Im actually glad you didnt say Orange chicken and egg rolls.

Next time you have opportunity try a spicy tuna roll, think of it as more of a spicy tuna sammich between rice if that helps.

Raw fish isn't for everyone, especially raw octo & squid. But man, if you're ever at a Spanish tapas place worth its salt, try some grilled octopus. When it's done right it isn't chewy at all and it tastes awesome. The octopus flavor is so mild that it kinda just complements whatever seasoning they used.
Chicken feet are fuckin weird and I didn't like them at first because of the texture. But I tried them a few more times and started appreciating it. Fried pig ear is another weird thing that tastes awesome.

Opinions on oysters? I hated them at first but now with just a squeeze of lemon I could put away over a dozen. So good.
Oysters are good, the consistency without doubt is basically a booger. I eat them with a dash of hot sauce and lemon.

Chicken feet is weird af to me, same with the pig ear thing. Ill gladly eat fried pork skin though .

Yep in my post above i was just commenting on how good grilled octopus is..like steak though if its even slightly overcooked it becomes rubber. Very mild seafood, pairs well with a spicy red italian sauce.

Not chinese or tapas but if you get a chance , try larb gai from a thai food place...or make it yourself. Its also super healthy.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude

Can't do oysters. I have never tried one but when it looks like a booger and I am told it feels like it looks I'm not going to try it. I know, I know how can you say you don't like something if you have never tried it? Because it looks gross AF.

Fun fact: when i order at starbucks i just say large or small when ordering.

I prefer Dunkin or WaWa (which I don't think y'all have)

If youve had calamari youve had squid before.

I have and wasn't a fan of it.

Yeah thats a pretty americanized chinese order, had to ask since you said not very well cultured lol. Im actually glad you didnt say Orange chicken and egg rolls.

Oh yeah I forgot about egg rolls. I can get down with them.

Next time you have opportunity try a spicy tuna roll, think of it as more of a spicy tuna sammich between rice if that helps.

Not a fan of tuna but I'll give it a try since you suggested it.

Not chinese or tapas but if you get a chance , try larb gai from a thai food place...or make it yourself. Its also super healthy.

I have never been to a Thai food place but I would like to try it. That larb gai sounds like it would be good. I'm a creature of habit so it can be hard to break out and try new things :). I am also cheap which doesn't help lol.

1578361601335.png

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Can't do oysters. I have never tried one but when it looks like a booger and I am told it feels like it looks I'm not going to try it. I know, I know how can you say you don't like something if you have never tried it? Because it looks gross AF.

I prefer Dunkin or WaWa (which I don't think y'all have)

I have and wasn't a fan of it.

Oh yeah I forgot about egg rolls. I can get down with them.

Not a fan of tuna but I'll give it a try since you suggested it.

I have never been to a Thai food place but I would like to try it. That larb gai sounds like it would be good. I'm a creature of habit so it can be hard to break out and try new things :). I am also cheap which doesn't help lol.

View attachment 162550
Dunkin does have better coffee yeah agreed, nah we dont have WA WA by me but ive heard good things.

Always try new foods when you can, unless its something you know you wont like. Like personally i cant eat dishes with sour cream.

lol broke sushi, would be even better with pizza flavor goldfish

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
First time I had sushi was probably when I moved to South Florida. I will eat it here in tx whenever I get a chance. My parents are ~70 and they would never eat it. I took my dad to a place once for lunch and we both got a chirashi box that had chefs choice in it. He didn't complain too much, but I also think that was the last time he had any sushi lol