GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Off-Topic Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

A_Bowers

Whats your Degree? Where do you work? There is ALOT of growth going on down here in Bama as far as Hyunda, Mercedes, and Honda are concerned.

Dont forget Boeing going in Mobile as well.

AND Thyssun Krupp Steel down there as well.

Dybz

Banned
Car(s)
'09 GTI
I think Southern Company (A_Bowers core company) is hiring environment guys all the time. As for other sectors, I'm not sure. What exactly is it that you do?

right now energy engineer. more like a consultant, analyze manufacturing systems and see how they can be improved to reduce energy consumption. just finished MS in environmental/occupational health science w/focus on industrial hygiene. BS in industrial engineering.

A_Bowers

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI

Dybz

Banned
Car(s)
'09 GTI
http://www.southerncompany.com/careerinfo/home.aspx

check that out. im not sure what all is open at the moment, but the company is hiring folks regularly.

Dybz, IF you do make it down here, you still going to punch me in the neck??

:D

yup.

haha, i'll check that out. right now i have an interview lined up early august in chicago, and if i don't get anything around here by end of august i plan to start looking elsewhere in the country.

i have a job right now, so not in too big a rush, but definitely limited in growth potential here so need something new.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Whats your Degree? Where do you work? There is ALOT of growth going on down here in Bama as far as Hyunda, Mercedes, and Honda are concerned.

Audio engineering... minor in computer engineering. So I have what's similar to an EE degree but I took a bunch of music, audio, acoustics classes as well. It's kind of a weird degree, but whatever, I got myself into it. I'd love to do something related to sound/audio for car design, whether it were interior acoustics or testing or anything. Right now I mix audio at NASCAR races. It's fun, but not something I see being amazing long term.

A_Bowers

yup.

haha, i'll check that out. right now i have an interview lined up early august in chicago, and if i don't get anything around here by end of august i plan to start looking elsewhere in the country.

i have a job right now, so not in too big a rush, but definitely limited in growth potential here so need something new.

Good deal. There are several major companies here in Alabama. Dont let the Hick state reputation sway your opinion other wise. There are the hillbilly rednecks here, but it is a whole lot more advanced and industry driven than most people think...AND we have Barber Motorsports Park very very close by

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Seems like Alabama is booming with jobs... I've only been to Talladega haha, maybe I should look into it, thanks for the advice guys.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Good deal. There are several major companies here in Alabama. Dont let the Hick state reputation sway your opinion other wise. There are the hillbilly rednecks here, but it is a whole lot more advanced and industry driven than most people think...AND we have Barber Motorsports Park very very close by

Dont forget APR HQ only 2 hours away :)

You know...Huntsville might have a lot for you, Dybz. They have a lot of government contracts that specialize in all sorts of things up there and I'm sure that they have an energy sector up there.

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
What are you looking to get into?

The electrical field/technical side of industries is looking for anyone to work now.

The ratio of new employees to retirees is way off. more people leaving than coming in. Good opportunities

I'm in communication (just thesis to go until I have my M.A.) so anything media, PR or advertising related I could pull off. My job is mostly project management though but isn't recognized as such (still practically earning intern salary...). Been there for 5 years so its time to move on (I'm 24). I am currently in insurance and I am dying to get out. Although I'm really well qualified in comparison to a lot of my peers, the field is extremely competitive and there are people with 5 years more experience snatching up all the positions I'm qualified for. Just a matter of getting my resume out there and writing a ton of cover letters while working 50hrs a week and balancing thesis work.

tl;dr should have been an engineer or mechanic :iono:

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I'm in communication (just thesis to go until I have my M.A.) so anything media, PR or advertising related I could pull off. My job is mostly project management though but isn't recognized as such (still practically earning intern salary...). Been there for 5 years so its time to move on (I'm 24). I am currently in insurance and I am dying to get out. Although I'm really well qualified in comparison to a lot of my peers, the field is extremely competitive and there are people with 5 years more experience snatching up all the positions I'm qualified for. Just a matter of getting my resume out there and writing a ton of cover letters while working 50hrs a week and balancing thesis work.

tl;dr should have been an engineer or mechanic :iono:

There's always the sporting industry. I got into it by complete accident but it seems like there are lots of jobs. People love sports.

A_Bowers

Dont forget APR HQ only 2 hours away :)

You know...Huntsville might have a lot for you, Dybz. They have a lot of government contracts that specialize in all sorts of things up there and I'm sure that they have an energy sector up there.

How could i forget. I really do love that place. I get all giddy when I go down there.

AND the fact that they had that BIG plug from Tuned...that makes it all that much cooler

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
AND the fact that they had that BIG plug from Tuned...that makes it all that much cooler

Yep, its nice to say "hey...I know those guys"

Status
Not open for further replies.