GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM bi-xenon headlight updrage DIY

Tr!tan!um

Schnellen geher!
Car(s)
2008 GTI, white
I just thought I'd chime in after driving with my retrofit lenses for a while. I had to adjust them several times to get the beam perfect. I think with the new lenses there is less light bleed above the cutoff, meaning anything further up the road than the cutoff is in complete darkness (deer, drunk guy, etc).

Also, with the higher output, you need to be more careful about blinding oncoming drivers by having your lights adjusted too high. This is why there is the offset from L to R. I DO NOT RECOMMEND trimming the offset to get a 'perfectly level' beam. The offset exists so that the beam is lower for the on coming traffic, but higher directly in front of you in your lane. To level/remove it, then raise the whole beam to a safe height for you would be potentially blinding an on coming driver. Level beams are not worth running a guy off the road or a head on collision.

MYGTI=FAST

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 GTI MKV
I did this mod and the pictures on this thread dont do this mod any justice, I added the ZKW-R Lenses and 5000K bulbs and the light output is so much brighter and sharper, the lenses i got dont sit flush to the carriers so the cut out is not perfect but maybe this weekend ill get around sanding them so they can fit properly

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
I did this mod and the pictures on this thread dont do this mod any justice, I added the ZKW-R Lenses and 5000K bulbs and the light output is so much brighter and sharper, the lenses i got dont sit flush to the carriers so the cut out is not perfect but maybe this weekend ill get around sanding them so they can fit properly

Do u mind taking pix of the parts u are talking about that need to be sanded down a little????

I would love to see more pix, I love the look of these new lenses!!!!!!!

Great job :wink:

KenTX

No, Money Down!
My ZKW-R lenses arrived and I started the swap, but didnt complete it. :cry: As others mentioned, the ZKW-R lens diameter is about 1mm too big to sit 100% flush in the housing. Stock diameter is ~73mm, and ZKW-R is ~74mm. So damn close! :mad:

My other concern was lens height - stock is ~21mm, and ZKW-R is ~24mm. I don't know how (or if) that affects focal point, beam pattern, etc.

For those of you wondering about specific dimensions like I was, there ya go...

I wonder if there's a way to get lenses from a european parts car?

Lens not sitting flush in upper half of photo:

3mm difference in lens heights (ZKW-R vs stock):

Locating nub at 12:00 position, marked with black sharpie:

Locating nub drilled out of lens housing:

Alik4041

Habibi!
Car(s)
08 Jetta Wolfsburg
Any updates on this?

itskv

APR Stage II+
Will removing the projectos mess with the aiming? Or will our auto levelers "fix" it.

bazzle

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MY08 R32 Silver 3dr
Thats why you mark up a wall with tape from 20 feet.
Any removal and refit can affect alignment.
The auto adjusters just put the lights back to the set mechanical position.
You can trim the lights with the 5mm white allen screws when re installed if needed.

Bazzle

MYGTI07

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 GTI
you can also adjust them manually with a ratchet and long extension. I forgot which size socket it is. I had to lower my passenger side a bit after upgrading to clear lenses.

ItzaGTI

Here is the result with the ZKW-R Lenses / RV Shield Mod / Lens Focusing / Matte Shrouds / and Osram CBI bulbs.

Hill is not flat thus the cutoff is not crisp - took these just to show the colour not the cutoff since it looks like any standard flat sharp cutoff projector now on a flat wall.

The colour flicker.

Tried to check results on the YouTube link, but it errors as 'private'...