GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM bi-xenon headlight updrage DIY

porpoise hork

Ready to race!
Sorry for the delay in updating this thread. I work in retail and with the holidays I have been pulling 15 hour days for the last week and a half. Once things return to normal I will be able to get out and get those before and after pics along with an updated cutoff shield I have been working with.

DJ Spice

Ready to race!
Car(s)
My Fast
Patiently waiting for updates and pictures... Thanks for all your hard work !

Cumulonimbus

Ready to race!
Put the clear lenses from retrofit source in lastnight - the cutoff is very sharp after.

I bought the premium lenses and they were the exact size as OEM and had the notch in them.

The beam pattern is wider too - really gives a cool effect while driving at night. The actual look of the projector while on has more colour in it too which is neat.

Worthwhile mod - sharp cutoff and more light output.

DJ Spice

Ready to race!
Car(s)
My Fast
Patiently waiting for the results...:)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S using Tapatalk

Cumulonimbus

Ready to race!
Just a FYI for everyone, the MKV projectors are the same as E46 BMW projectors.

Just flattened and relocated the RV shield - adjusted the shield closer to the bulb and painted the shield matte white - cutoff is PURE white now - sharp as a tack with the clear lenses - and has a beautiful blue band across it for that BMW style flicker.

:thumbsup:

Tr!tan!um

Schnellen geher!
Car(s)
2008 GTI, white
Just a FYI for everyone, the MKV projectors are the same as E46 BMW projectors.

Just flattened and relocated the RV shield - adjusted the shield closer to the bulb and painted the shield matte white - cutoff is PURE white now - sharp as a tack with the clear lenses - and has a beautiful blue band across it for that BMW style flicker.

:thumbsup:

POST SOME PICS OF THAT JUNK. Seriously, Im about to install my new lenses tomorrow, and I want to make it a one shot deal. Explain exactly what you did and the effect it achieved.

I took some 'before' pics for those who have been waiting. hopefully, come tomorrow night, I'll be sporting some crisp, even 5000k cutoff lines. :cool:

Tr!tan!um

Schnellen geher!
Car(s)
2008 GTI, white
How have you been bench testing your HID setup? I cant imagine reassembling everything just to test and then take back apart again...

Tr!tan!um

Schnellen geher!
Car(s)
2008 GTI, white
Ok, here are some comparo pics, and a before and after. For the comparo, I used a bright LED flashlight and the difference is pretty clear. The before and after pics are with 5000k HID. I didnt modify the shutters at all - I think its a pretty dumb idea to permanently cut them. I wasnt able to perfectly line the beams up but I got them dang near close (a tree fell and broke a tab on my left housing).

Anyways, for the first time in this thread.......... PICS!

Stock Lenses (with flashlight)

Retrofit Source Lenses (with flashlight)

OEM Lenses, 5000k HID at about 10ft

Retrofit Source Lens 5000k HID at about 30ft

The real life photos didnt turn out very well, but there is a noticeable difference in clarity and light output.

Stylist07

Banned
Car(s)
MKV R32 DBP #1238
Looks good to me, good job

My R32 feels like the light is very soft and scattered, this mod sounds like a good one.......

Cumulonimbus

Ready to race!
Here is the result with the ZKW-R Lenses / RV Shield Mod / Lens Focusing / Matte Shrouds / and Osram CBI bulbs.

Hill is not flat thus the cutoff is not crisp - took these just to show the colour not the cutoff since it looks like any standard flat sharp cutoff projector now on a flat wall.

The colour flicker.

http://youtu.be/5Jxle-CBmtw?hd=1

IamRobbyah

Beautiful!!! I've had my 06 for a few months now and nothing makes me more upset than the terrible lighting! I thought I was the only one suffering from this dilemma.

How many washers did you guys use?