GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Odd steering/poor handling

Whitedemon

Ready to race!
Hi everyone, I need some help, I've been having this issue with my car for a while now and I still can't figure out what's causing it. I've replaced the steering rack, checked all tie rods, wheel bearings, sway bars, end links, done alignments, replaced tires, replaced strut mounts, front subframe bushings, added the TyrolSport subframe kit, installed whiteline antilift kit (WALK).....the steering still feels loose and unstable at high speeds, I could turn the steering wheel like half an inch and wheels would barely move...it's like the front feels disconnected from the rest of the car....not sure what else to check at this point. I also have H&R UL Coilovers installed and I do have noticed it started happening around the time I installed my coilovers, not sure if that would have anything to do with it or just coincidence, before the coil overs I had my car already dropped on lowering springs but never had this issue.

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
Not dead, but also not as active as it once was.

You said you have a WALK...how many miles are on the car? Since your problems appeared after changing your springs & struts it could be the nature of the suspension or your alignment. Not sure what the dampening specs are for H&R UL and I suspect their performance may vary a bit depending on how you have them set.

Other thoughts...
  • The bushings on the front of your front lower control arm could be worn and adding some play, but those are pretty small.
  • Have the ball joints been replaced?
  • Has a shop taken a look at it to see what might be causing it?
  • Was the steering rack you swapped in new or used? If used, did you install a new bushing (1K0498884)? I believe the newer racks don't use this, but don't quote me.
  • What condition are your engine mounts in? All three...