GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OBD port

radiohead1075

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Has anyone ever had problems getting the OBD port to recognize the device you are plugging in to it?

Recently bought a P3 digital vent gauge and it has only powered on once since installing it which itself took several plug/unplug attempts. However the next time the car was started, the device did not power on. I can access the config menu on the P3 device, so it would seem the OBD port is operational, no?

Any ideas?

skateboy___918

Ready to race!
Has anyone ever had problems getting the OBD port to recognize the device you are plugging in to it?

Recently bought a P3 digital vent gauge and it has only powered on once since installing it which itself took several plug/unplug attempts. However the next time the car was started, the device did not power on. I can access the config menu on the P3 device, so it would seem the OBD port is operational, no?

Any ideas?

I too have a P3 gauge and my ODB II connection sucks. I think it has to do with the P3 crappy ODBII plug.

For example, my Genuine Ross-Tech HEX CAN cable plugs into my OBDII port very flimsy, I have to almost hold it or adjust it every time to connect right. However, if I use the same cable on anyone else's car, it works perfect, no adjustment, and it doesn't feel like it fits flimsy

My theory is that the P3 OBDII plug is cheaply made and stretches out the car's OBDII connection, hence my Ross-Tech cable wont fit correctly.

For my P3 gauge to work right, it has to be pushed in really hard into the car's OBDII slot

radiohead1075

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I too have a P3 gauge and my ODB II connection sucks. I think it has to do with the P3 crappy ODBII plug.

For example, my Genuine Ross-Tech HEX CAN cable plugs into my OBDII port very flimsy, I have to almost hold it or adjust it every time to connect right. However, if I use the same cable on anyone else's car, it works perfect, no adjustment, and it doesn't feel like it fits flimsy

My theory is that the P3 OBDII plug is cheaply made and stretches out the car's OBDII connection, hence my Ross-Tech cable wont fit correctly.

For my P3 gauge to work right, it has to be pushed in really hard into the car's OBDII slot

Interesting...I was adjusting the connections last night, again, by plugging in and unplugging the OBD cable, the P3 finally powered on. Took it out for a 15 minute drive, the gauge performed flawlessly. Turned the car off, waited ten seconds and restarted the car...however the P3 did not turn on, very frustrating.

Perhaps I need to be more firm when plugging in, just me nervous as the OBD port itself seems flimsy (lots of play side to side).

Been in contact with P3, they're going to send a new chip for the control box. Just anxious to get the gauge working!

Car(s)
Subaru
It's possible there's a firmware issue and your device needs an update.

the newer p3 gauges are running the newest firmware... which just added a few things

op, i have a p3 gauge too... works fine for me. hopefully its nto your obd prot cause that might get expensive replacing that. i have no idea how much all that might cost

radiohead1075

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
the newer p3 gauges are running the newest firmware... which just added a few things

op, i have a p3 gauge too... works fine for me. hopefully its nto your obd prot cause that might get expensive replacing that. i have no idea how much all that might cost

I hope not either...and I would think that would be the least likely culprit. Bought the car new, and this is the first time I have ever plugged anything into the OBD port.

(Dealer has most certainly used it, to diagnose the cause of the MIL light coming on a few times, no issues were ever mentioned :iono:)

I haven't given the obd2 port a look, but if it has fork-type contacts, you can stick something like a dental pick in there and squeeze them together.

just sayin.

no issues with my hex+can or ultragauge here.