GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

No steering controls = clock spring

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
So the only thing's not working are the buttons and the horn. The steering wheel buttons illuminate and the airbag light hasn't come on....yet. This just happened all of a sudden. Before I assume it's the clock spring is there anything other than fuses to check? I used my vag com and got the code for non responsive steering wheel controls, so no connection. I also found this company selling the clock spring at $20 a pop, seems crazy when ECS is selling the same part number for $130.

http://rothengine.com/1K0959653CClockSpring.aspx

Anyone know of a site selling them cheaper than the crazy price VW or ECS want?

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
So the link I attached is apparently a scam. The guy claims the parts are the same as OEM but are cheap Chinese crap. There's a huge thread on the TDI forum and they list all of his sites. they also mention there is a lawsuit out there on him.

ghost_03

Ready to race!
I had a clock spring failure at like 80k or something. Had no buttons, no lights, and airbag warning. Also they were intermittent, sometimes flicking back on when I rotated the wheel.

Didn't take all that long and I paid like 110 or something from the dealer, they had it in stock.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
So the only thing's not working are the buttons and the horn. The steering wheel buttons illuminate and the airbag light hasn't come on....yet. This just happened all of a sudden. Before I assume it's the clock spring is there anything other than fuses to check? I used my vag com and got the code for non responsive steering wheel controls, so no connection. I also found this company selling the clock spring at $20 a pop, seems crazy when ECS is selling the same part number for $130.

http://rothengine.com/1K0959653CClockSpring.aspx

Anyone know of a site selling them cheaper than the crazy price VW or ECS want?
I do not know the difference between the 1K0959653C one you are looking at and the
1K0959653A clockspring variant, but ECS has that one at a very reasonble price of $15.27++.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Saw that but we will need to have someone chime in if this will work. I looked under VW parts listings for the GTI on a few sites and they only show the C not the A as working. I know there is a revised Clockspring out there but not sure what the model is. Maybe the cheap version doesn't control everything?

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Anyone know a true way to test the clock spring other than using the vag com that just tells you there is no communication? Curious if it's actually the control module. The lights on the steering wheel are acting up such as when the dome light delay turns off the steering wheel control lights come back on briefly. They won't come on when the parking lights come on like the rest of the interior lights but will when the light switch is turned to the headlight position. Just trying to figure out if the issue is more the control module.

16whitemk7

Another Addict
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE 6mt
I've been looking for a clockspring for my car ('06 6spd with pretty much everything) and I've found that there are a couple of part #'s. Can anyone tell me what the part number for the clockspring on my car is? I dont feel like buying the wrong one...

TIA!

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
So my airbag light came on this afternoon. The clock spring has to be the issue.

1K0959653C is the one you need 06whitemk5....same as me.

16whitemk7

Another Addict
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE 6mt
So my airbag light came on this afternoon. The clock spring has to be the issue.

1K0959653C is the one you need 06whitemk5....same as me.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Let me know if you find one for under a hundred lol cause I haven't.