The Fixer
Car(s)
09 GTI
Never happen.

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
Remember dubbers, Fiat, Peugeot and Renault all did this back in the late 1960's early 70's? "Lack of sufficient market penetration" as I recall. VW would not be going away, just their presence in the American market? I don't think this would include Audi and Porsche certainly. That would be a "I'm taking my ball and going home" deal! LOL! That diesel thing really hurt their image from where they were just before that broke...think about it. JMHO

Last edited:

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Remember dubbers, Fiat, Peugeot and Renault all did this back in the late 1960's early 70's? "Lack of sufficient market penetration" as I recall. VW would not be going away, just their presence in the American market? I don't think this would include Audi and Porsche certainly. That would be a "I'm taking my ball and going home" deal! LOL! That diesel thing really hurt their image from where they were just before that broke...think about it. JMHO
I kind of agree. VW was/is very arrogant when it comes to the US market. I can't find the article I read now, but it brought up some very good points. Remember when there was a time when no European company (MB, BMW, and Audi) would never bring the US the good stuff back in the 80's and early 90's? That's the case with VW as well. I'm talking things like special options to entire cars that only Europe got. That started to change. BMW brought over their cars almost to identical specification to their European counterparts. MB and Audi as well. Yet VW was still limiting us on option packages and what not.

The article also brought up with how VW thinks they can survive without the US market. Short term, sure. Long term? I think they have their heads up their asses. Why? Let's look at the history of automotive companies in the US. Remember when Honda and Toyota came to the US? People laughed. However, Toyota's formula worked. Build cheap, reliable cars for the masses. When they started becoming more successful, they released specials such as the MR2 Turbo and the MkIV Supra that damn near everyone drops their jaw to. Honda has a similar story. Very reliable cars and more fun to drive than 95% of Toyota's out there. If we're talking about more modern times, look at Kia and Hyundai. Offer a 10 year/100k warranty, undercut the competition prices by thousands, and establish yourself as a company. Look at them today. I'm sure Honda, Toyota, Kia and Hyundai are laughing now. Sure, maybe the competition still has the edge, but they're seriously good cars compared to what they had in the 90's and mid 2000's.

What I'm getting at and what that article basically is stating is that the US market IS the most important market for any automotive manufacturer. That VW thinks otherwise is insane.

P.S. I am not a fan of Toyota at all. Yes, the MR2 Turbo and the MkIV Supra I would own in a heartbeat, but other than that, nope. But it's hard to argue with their formula. 90% of people could care less about their cars, the culture following it, and how they drive.

This is another eye opener:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidki...kswagen-cant-succeed-in-america/#624f3fa21d50

Kishon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MkvGti
so not cool. sorry guys..... i hope this doesn't really unfold. Here is RSA, we love dubs and we'll out number any fucking piss willy camry.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
09 GTI
I think they have their heads up their asses.
It's very US-centric of you to think America is the make or break for all manufacturers. Everybody including GM and Ford make European specific cars, Peugeot and Citroen do well in France. There is plenty of business to go around. I don't know specifics, but I imagine the Golf sells 5 to 1 in Europe vs USA. Not to mention all the Bluemotion diesels they sell that we are not even offered. They are not going anywhere.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
It's very US-centric of you to think America is the make or break for all manufacturers. Everybody including GM and Ford make European specific cars, Peugeot and Citroen do well in France. There is plenty of business to go around. I don't know specifics, but I imagine the Golf sells 5 to 1 in Europe vs USA. Not to mention all the Bluemotion diesels they sell that we are not even offered. They are not going anywhere.
So be it, but you can't tell me that VW isn't feeling the pain. It's not just VW, it's a large part of the auto industry. Used car dealerships, VW dealers, etc. VW spent a large chunk of change on the Chattanooga facility to make the Passat which is specific to the US market.

This isn't a short term issue even if VW had fixed the issue within a month. They destroyed their reputation for those who only buy a car as a means of transportation (not from an enthusiastic standpoint). Unfortunately, the large majority of the population buys their cars for it to be a means of transportation and nothing else. Why else do you think the Passat is blander than it use to be? VW realized they had to appeal to the masses if they wanted to compete with Toyota.

http://www.statista.com/statistics/260805/revenue-of-volkswagen/

According to this URL, North America brought VW 16.6% of their revenue in 2015. Not a huge amount when you factor in Canada, but still a nice chunk. And Europe/remain markets brought in 62.1% of VW's revenue. Considering that the majority of the dieselgate offense is in Europe, it'll be interesting to see how their home market reacts.

From this article last week: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rket-share-slumps-to-five-year-low-on-scandal

"Global VW-brand sales dropped 3.9 percent to 476,700 vehicles during April following declines in western Europe, the U.S. and China, the Wolfsburg-based manufacturer said Friday in a separate statement. That pushed four-month deliveries down 2 percent to 1.98 million autos."

Maybe the US isn't the make or break for an automobile manufacturer as I said earlier, but VW is in some deep trouble regardless.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
09 GTI
Chattanooga is making the new Toureg? SUV, and probably still the Passat. It's a great plant and Tennessee loves it. I know they feel the sting but I think they are still sitting pretty.