GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

No base Golf?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Why would a Golf not be a better buy than a Jetta?
The Jetta loaner I had once sucked. At one time the Jetta was nice and maybe the latest one but a hatchback has more usable room. Guess it is the hatchback hate in USA.

Depends on the trim level of each. My buddy (who also owns a mk6 R and mk4 TDI) just picked up a 2019 Jetta SEL a few months ago and it’s very nice.

He’s been averaging 39-43 mpg on our commute which is 25ish miles of secondary/back roads and zero freeway. It’s extremely comfortable front and rear, nice dash layout and full glass cockpit (no analog gauges at all). For 23k otd it’s a great buy and for that non performance market that the golf would fall into would be my pick as well (or a Passat).

The golf will be missed, but not by many. The MQB Jetta is light years better than the mk6 platform (I owned a mk6 Jetta Tdi, mk6 Tdi Golf, and mk6 gti)

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
In Phoenix I see far more regular Golfs than GTI's. This is a bad decision by VW because with other small cars being discontinued VW would only sell more. I understand SUV's have become far more popular but it's like people are going to be forced to buy an SUV because there won't be a choice.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
If when I purchased my Golf, it came with a 1.4, would have moved up to a GTI. There are no redeeming qualities for the Golf over the new Jetta for 95% of the buying public. Sales numbers speak for themselves. If any one of you had a store and you sold 90,000 of one item and 6,000 of another, you would drop one for sure. Just watch Shark Tank. Taking up shelf space with a bad product. Not to mention the cost to ship, store, test, certify train personnel on etc etc.

I love mine and would probably buy another one (actually next one would have been an awd Sportwagen, but it's the smart move.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If when I purchased my Golf, it came with a 1.4, would have moved up to a GTI. There are no redeeming qualities for the Golf over the new Jetta for 95% of the buying public. Sales numbers speak for themselves. If any one of you had a store and you sold 90,000 of one item and 6,000 of another, you would drop one for sure. Just watch Shark Tank. Taking up shelf space with a bad product. Not to mention the cost to ship, store, test, certify train personnel on etc etc.

I love mine and would probably buy another one (actually next one would have been an awd Sportwagen, but it's the smart move.

Has the regular Golf been selling that poorly?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yeah. Just check the link posted by snobrdrdban

I checked that link and it's kind of sad actually. The next time that gas goes over $4.00 per gallon we'll see how all the SUV buyers react then. There won't be any choices left that get better fuel mileage. I don't understand how the car manufacturers are meeting the CAFE standards.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I believe VW misses and ignores a tremendous opportunity to actually ADVERTISE these cars her in the US and show off their room, utility and fuel economy.
Help to make the buying public aware that the interior and cargo room of these vehicles is quite amazing and steer them away from SUV's.
Many moons ago, that's what advertising did - showcased the vehicle's usefulness.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

Hatchback utility can be a tremendous quality of people were made aware of it.

Pete_CFB

Ready to race!

My GTi has a HUGE trunk/cargo space VS my wifes 2019 Corolla Hatchback... and it was not cheap either. She would have gotten a Automatic Highline for the same price she paid. But she wanted a Toyota. Cant blame her, it'll be solid and be worth more in a couple years also.

cb1111

Which is why hatchbacks are such a great seller in Europe, where sedans like the Jetta don't sell.

The Golf needs to be advertised AND needs to be offered with all of the options (Parktronic, driver aids, big nav) for those people who want the toys but don't want the bigger engines - just like in Europe.

dm33

Passed Driver's Ed
Hatchbacks are the most popular body style in the US these days by far....

They're just called SUVs, CUVs or minivans. They are all hatchbacks. Just much bigger and generally taller than the Golf. But hatchback vs. sedan has been decided. The utility of hatchbacks has won out. Although American's seem to insist on ever bigger cars.