GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

No base Golf?

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Golf is a nice car, people just don't know.

Where I work the parking lot must be 70% SUVs/Crossovers. Almost no one has drivers cars. They're all just homogeneous AWD/monster front grille/never used roof rack types.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
This is not a great news. But still we should be happy that VW is bringing in GTI and R to our shores. These vehicles do not make up a big number in their sale charts.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
This is not a great news. But still we should be happy that VW is bringing in GTI and R to our shores. These vehicles do not make up a big number in their sale charts.

I read something about the gti outselling the golf here 3 to 1

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
If true, that's sad news. My wife and I bought a Golf because we couldn't afford a GTI. JC_451's post sums it all up very well -- the Golf is a nice car and that we live on an SUV-centric Continent where vehicle buyers want to drive what everyone else drives.

If there was no Golf, we'd have left the VW fold in favor of the Mazda3 hatch.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I read something about the gti outselling the golf here 3 to 1

Can you post the link if you come across the article again.

GTI and R has a loyal fan base but sadly base golf is just considered as a cheap vehicle by most people.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Why would a Golf not be a better buy than a Jetta?
The Jetta loaner I had once sucked. At one time the Jetta was nice and maybe the latest one but a hatchback has more usable room. Guess it is the hatchback hate in USA.
Had a chance to putz around in a Mk7 jetta for a day while I had some recall work done. Only thing that jumped out to me as being superior than the Golf was the rear leg room and literally nothing else. I was actually rather surprised on discovering just how much cheaper it felt compared to the Golf. Now I knew it would be worse, but little things such as the inferior tactility of the buttons, the rubbery feel of the automatic gear selector (Golf has a nice gated feel to it), and even the physical aspect of turning the ignition just felt worse than its hatchback cousin.

Then again the Jetta stickers for the same amount as a corolla, so what do you expect.

I'm sad to see the TSI go, but it really was too good for this world. The 1.8 in particular was stupidly overbuilt and powerful for a car meant to compete with civics and corollas, something VW themselves realized when they swapped in the 1.4 on the hatch on face lifted models. The 1.8 really is just a baby GTI, virtually everything that bolts on to the 2.0 bolts on to the 1.8, and despite not having the forged crankshaft it really has no problem holding 300+hp.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
The crazy thing is if the golf sat up 6” more, it would be the go to compact SUV...