GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NHBubba's '09 Jetta SportWagon SEL

GTIMKVFAST08

schmoser boser....
Car(s)
08 BMP GTI
And before I get the Q. I joined this site before I bought the car. At the time I had my heart set on a GTI. GF talked me into the JSW as she liked it better.

woooooooh hold...ur GF talked u into getting this? U better be planning on marrying her...........

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
Finally got around to this.

Hey all.. So I was changing my oil this weekend and when I took the engine cover off to get to the filter I noticed that the foam around the .. well, I'm not sure what it is. But I think it is a vacuum line coming off the intake manifold. It had foam insulation around it at one point, but almost half the insulation has fallen off.

You can see it in this photo:

A) Does anyone know what this line is called?
B) Anyone think this is something worth repairing and/or busting the dealer's balls over?

HereticByDefault

Go Kart Champion
Hey all.. So I was changing my oil this weekend and when I took the engine cover off to get to the filter I noticed that the foam around the .. well, I'm not sure what it is. But I think it is a vacuum line coming off the intake manifold. It had foam insulation around it at one point, but almost half the insulation has fallen off.

A) Does anyone know what this line is called?
B) Anyone think this is something worth repairing and/or busting the dealer's balls over?

A) I'm not exactly sure where the line you're talking about is.
B) I would probably get it checked out, but if there's nothing around the line that will puncture or slice it I doubt it would be a problem to just leave it be.

Zach L

VR junkie
If you're talking about the one with the blue and yellow (that connects to the right side of the intake manifold) then that's a PCV tube. Not only is the PCV system prone to failure, but IMO it is the source for the worst thing which plagues all 2.0Ts and is the first engine modification that should be done. It vents crankcase gases to be burned off by the engine.

The problem is our engines are direct injected, so the valves don't get washed with fuel as in a traditional port injection engine. This is what happens to your valves. The way to remedy this is to get a catch can. They're available from BSH, Eurojet, and 42Draft Designs. There are recirculating systems you can get or systems which vent to atmosphere.

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
Last night when I posted I figured it would be clear what I was talking about. This AM I realize not-so-much. Lets try this.

I believe this line does go to the PCV. So 'PCV tube' sounds correct. I will search.

The tube is armored with some sort of plastic, so the foam seems completely redundant. I'm just shocked at how quickly it deteriorated and/or got scraped off. Half of me suspects critters got under the hood. We've had problems with them nesting in the engine compartments of our cars.

I was under the impression that the PCV system on my TSI was less problematic than the FSIs.

plac

GTI Master
just your pcv tube, and that foam doesnt matter at all. just rip it off. my TSI doesnt even have foam.

Zach L

VR junkie
That's the hose I assumed you were talking about in my response 3 posts above.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Anybody think VWoA was correct when they said all JSWs had the smaller Rabbit brakes on their website?

I'd say they're wrong. I know the front calipers are the same on all MkV's except the R32 (just different colors), but that's exactly what my 16" steelies look like with the calipers being that close. I'd say you had the 12.3" rotors. Maybe the base 2.5L JSW has the smaller rotors. That'd make sense to me.

I like this thread though. I really want a larger RSB than the 24mm H&R I've got now. Do you know the difference of the APR 27mm compared to the BSH 27mm? I heard that the APR is the same bar as the BSH, it's just marketed under their name. Any truth to this?

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
Good to see another Jetta on here. Lol, I didnt really care for jettamkv.com
In my opinion my car is a Jetta in name only. But then a Jetta is only a Golf with a trunk. And my car is just a Jetta with a hatch. So...

JettaMkV.com has some pretty sweet forum software. But yeah, the action seems to be on this site.
I'd say they're wrong.
They are. The question was rhetorical. There was some debate and some folks on the 'tex told me I had Rabbit brakes and suggested I could go ahead and order those cheap 15" steelies and cheap snow-tires. But I was confused as I have a 16" spare. Why would VW spend more giving me a 16" spare if they didn't have to? Finally I put the car up on jacks, yanked the front tire and measured the caliper. They are the GTI/GLI brakes.

Now it seems that some JSW owners with the 2.0T report having the smaller brakes and others (like me) report having GTI/GLI brakes. There seems to be some question about what the TDI JSW has too. VWoA's website is zero help.
I like this thread though. I really want a larger RSB than the 24mm H&R I've got now. Do you know the difference of the APR 27mm compared to the BSH 27mm? I heard that the APR is the same bar as the BSH, it's just marketed under their name. Any truth to this?

Nope. The APR bar is hollow. It is rumored to be the same bar as the Hotchkis bar(s). Seems APR rebrands them. For a while you could not get the Hotchkis bar except as a front and rear set. Personally I don't have much interest in a stiffer front, so only the RSB was of interest. However now it seems you can get the Hotchkis bars seperately. The only difference between the Hotchkis and APR bars seem to be the color. APR's are red, Hotchkis are black.

In the end I ordered the APR bar because NA-Motorsports had a helluva deal + a fair shipping charge. I got the APR bar shipped for less than I could find a Hotchkis bar.

The BSH bar is solid. Although reports I read suggested there is (or was) some fitments issues. There are none with my APR bar.

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
yours too?

damn. we have a 2002 ranger. same issue. even had the rear window replaced, but still no joy.

still love the truck :wub:

Finally got that fixed. Got a new 3rd brake light from a discount dealer on the interwebz and all is well now.

Well, almost. Now the front brakes have de-laminated, pulse like a mutha, and don't stop that well. Also the battery is not holding a charge that well. Had to jump it off the JSW to go get a tree with the missus this AM.

Can't hold it against the battery though. It is original.. ~6 years from a battery ain't bad. (Of course I'll slap it on the charger and see if I can milk another year out of it anyway.)

Was listening to the Autoblog pod-casts in the car the other day. They started discussing (or rather dissing) the Ranger. On one hand I agree, the stamping for the bed dates back to 1984! On the other hand, they just don't get it. The appeal of the Ranger is price, price, price! Damned truck is so damned cheap. And it works too.

Had fun sloshing through a field today. One of life's simple thrills is the sound mud stuck in the tread makes hitting the inside of the fender when you roll out on the blacktop after playing in the mud for a while.