GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NFL Thread-trash talk away

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Just an article i thought was interesting. Still dreading having to watch twitchy though.
Cutler got $54 million guaranteed. Here's how that compares:

Aaron Rodgers, $62.5 million guaranteed
Drew Brees, $60 million guaranteed
Matt Ryan, $59 million guaranteed
Peyton Manning, $58 million guaranteed
Tom Brady, $57 million guaranteed
Tony Romo, $55 million guaranteed
Joe Flacco, $52 million guaranteed
Cutler now has the contract of a top-eight quarterback. But is he?

Here's how Cutler compares to the other QBs that in group in the last three years:

He's not as good as the best quarterbacks in the league. He throws more interceptions than anyone, fewer touchdowns, misses a lot of games due to injury, and isn't quite as efficient.

But his numbers are still good relative to the rest of the league. He is, objectively, a slightly above average quarterback, just like Joe Flacco is.

Quarterback is the most important position in any professional sport. You can't succeed in the NFL without a competent player under center. That has inflated the value of quarterback contracts to that point that even decent quarterbacks are worth more than any other position player of any skill level.

The Bears aren't paying Jay Cutler $54 million guaranteed under the assumption that he's one of the five best QBs in football. They're giving him all that money because he satisfies a baseline level of quarterback competence that's a prerequisite for success in the modern NFL.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
The Bears aren't paying Jay Cutler $54 million guaranteed under the assumption that he's one of the five best QBs in football. They're giving him all that money because he satisfies a baseline level of quarterback competence that's a prerequisite for success in the modern NFL.
Correct. The Cowgirls did the same for Romo and Ravens with Flacco. Every team for each player must weigh expected performance vs cap number vs replacement cost, there is simply no QB option available to the Bears who meets his performance for his contract cost. They could get a cheaper replacement in the draft but the expected performance will be dramatically lower.

The Colts made the exact opposite decision with Manning and Luck, the expected performance gap between the two was far less than Manning's cost.

Skipdr

Go Kart Champion
Pretty much. They think they have the best chance with him for now and if they win the super bowl in that time then it's worth it

Austin_W

Go Kart Champion
Correct. The Cowgirls did the same for Romo and Ravens with Flacco. Every team for each player must weigh expected performance vs cap number vs replacement cost, there is simply no QB option available to the Bears who meets his performance for his contract cost. They could get a cheaper replacement in the draft but the expected performance will be dramatically lower.

The Colts made the exact opposite decision with Manning and Luck, the expected performance gap between the two was far less than Manning's cost.

Wow you are a fucking lunatic if you group Romo with Flacco and Cutler.

At least Romo has the stats to back up his contract.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion

You missed my point. The teams overpaid for their QB because they had no viable replacement for their expected performance vs cap number. The last team to get a good deal on a franchise QB for his expected performance was Tom Brady's contract restructure. He took less money so they could resign Wes Welker and they...oh.

I'm not comparing their stats, I'm comparing their teams' situations.

RynoTX

Go Kart Champion
You missed my point. The teams overpaid for their QB because they had no viable replacement for their expected performance vs cap number. The last team to get a good deal on a franchise QB for his expected performance was Tom Brady's contract restructure. He took less money so they could resign Wes Welker and they...oh.

I don't see this trend going away either. With the hard cap the only way to put together a SB team is to hit big on cheap draft picks......ah la Russell Wilson, Luck, or AJ Green and Dalton.

Dubvee

Go Kart Champion

Well. Flacco has one ring and 5 playoff appearances and zero kick holding fumbles. Yeah probably shouldn't group him with Homo.

Austin_W

Go Kart Champion

Okay, good.

Yeah that really makes a lot of sense, although I don't necessarily think there was a better option for the Cowboys. I mean the draft is hit or miss, and there doesn't appear to be another Andrew Luck coming through NCAA any time soon. I think drafting a running QB is a waste of a draft pick, no offense to RGIII, I like the dude and of the running QB's I thought he was the best last year, I'm not sure what happened this year.

QB's like Teddy Bridgewater, Tahj Boyd, Jameis Winston and Braxton Miller are the QB's who are successful in college, but I believe the formula for long term success at QB is a pocket passer. Mobility is not necessary. Manning and Brady and Brees have proven that.

I understand re-signing who you've got, though he's definitely not the best by any stretch (Cutler) just because it's so hard to find an adequate QB these days.

Austin_W

Go Kart Champion
Well. Flacco has one ring and 5 playoff appearances and zero kick holding fumbles. Yeah probably shouldn't group him with Homo.

He's also a horrible QB. The real Baltimore showed up this year.

BTW, that ball was greased or something, it gleamed like a Christmas ham.

Flacco has trouble completing 15 passes a game.

RynoTX

Go Kart Champion
Flacco is a bad qb? Lol ok

I wouldn't say bad, but anybody who thinks he is head and shoulders above Romo is cray cray.