GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Nexus 7 HU

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
First off, let me say I'm pretty green in the car audio realm, so please be gentle.

I'm in the market for getting an aftermarket head unit and have decided that I'd like to integrate a Nexus 7 into my dash as my head unit. Ideally, I'd like to do it without using a head unit hidden behind it or in the glove box (as if there's even room for one!) and running aux in from the 7 to the head unit. Although, that would leave me room to keep steering wheel controls and the like. But I don't know where I could hide the head unit. Could it slide deeper into the dash so the N7 fits over it and can still mount remotely flush with the face of the dash (I plan on designing a mount for the N7 that lets me remove it)? I don't know how much space is in the dash behind the head unit.

If I go the route without a head unit, I'm thinking I can run a 3.5mm to RCA cable to an amp that feeds my speakers. Am I on the right track or am I horribly mistaken? If I'm in the right ballpark, what sort of amp should I look at as far as channels and power?

I'm trying to read and do research online but could use some guidance specific to our cars. I've got the premium sound package in my '06 GTI if that helps.

ClassicRbt

Ready to race!
best to go through a headunit. if not that you could go through a processor, usually more expensive unless you have one lying around. going through directly to the amplifier would be my last choice.

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...

Ok, so he made a 3.5mm to 4 rca cable and ran that to the amp and then wiring harness from car to amp. Thanks.

best to go through a headunit. if not that you could go through a processor, usually more expensive unless you have one lying around. going through directly to the amplifier would be my last choice.

I agree it would probably be easier and cheaper to hide a head unit away some where and run the N7 through that, but I'm not sure where I would hide it. I could put it behind the N7 (either with the face showing or hidden behind a backing plate) but I don't know if there would be enough space back there and how I'd secure it.

This is an idea I've been toying with for a long time but didn't start to really look into it until recently. I always wanted to just use a tablet with the need to run through a hidden HU because that seemed like a cleaner setup. Running through a HU seems kinda like just rigging it, but after thinking about it a while last night, I'm starting to lean towards running it through a cheap HU with aux in.

This is the cheapest HU (and it just happens to come with aux in on the face), and through Crutchfield, I get half off the VW wiring harness. Which makes it cheaper than just buying the harness by itself (why a harness costs more than twice a head unit is beyond me). Anyways, I'd like to try to mount the HU behind the N7, which would make running the wires to the front aux in easier. Power can be supplied via USB from a cigarette adapter I'd like to install behind my dash (not just for the tablet, but for my radar detector as well).

I'll be moving in a couple weeks so I don't know if I'll get to this before then, but hopefully I'll eventually tackle this. And when I do, I'm sure I'll post about it. I may have further questions, but in the mean time, thanks for the help. I hate that this feels like a pointless thread... >.>

ClassicRbt

Ready to race!
no problem.

I've been toying with this idea for a long time as well. I'm planning on messing around with mine soon. I already have a dash bezel that I'm ready to hack up and fiberglass to make this work.

I really want an audison bit 1, but that is way out of the question right now. Keep us updated.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
somebody did this in a mk6 i think.

ClassicRbt

Ready to race!

brilliant! :thumbsup:

well looks like the galaxy tab would be a better choice for me. that way i can have 3g built in and get a decently priced data plan from my provider. This allows me to not wont worry about tethering through my iphone.

Only thing I'm going to change on mine that is diffrernt from his write up is..

1. Install a mid range single din headunit in the glove box. Some how going to modifiy the "owners manual" bracket to hold it in.

2. extend the basic wiring harness that you get from crutchfield. I don't have steering wheel controls so I don't care about the can-bus adapter.

3. Find a headunit that has a decent remote control so I can control it without reaching to the glove box. Although with the tablet this should'nt be necessary often. However I do have a sirius/xm controller that I flush mounted into the coin tray. I would like to keep it.

... so ideally I want to be able to switch aux settings through the remote.

Man, i'm excited now. :happyanim: Finally proper volt outs from my headunit, a nice interface, and a clean look. All for less than a nice double din headunit with GPS.

Can't wait to get rid of my absolute crap MFD2 with peeling soft touch.

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
I have a single DIN HU and tried to see if it would fit in the manual slot in the glove box and it wasn't very close. You'd have to do some fairly serious modifying. I'd like to see it happen, though, so best of luck!
Regarding tablet selection, I don't want something with a data plan because I'm grandfathered into a Verizon unlimited plan for cheaper than the lowest cost tiered plan. So I can't make ANY changes EVER if I want to keep thongs like they are. Plus I'd much rather have a Nexus device because I'm an update whore. But I certainly see the appeal of having data built in! I look forward to seeing how you do it! I think I'm going to have to hold off until next month. For this project. Got too much going on and not enough money...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
story of my life. we'll see how it goes, I'm more parts collecting at the moment. if i were you i'd get a dash trim piece and start mocking it up for the nexus 7. the rest should be relatively easy. :thumbsup:

Yea that's what I'm thinking will be the hardest part as well. I hope I can still fit a single DIN HU behind the N7. Time will tell.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ClassicRbt

Ready to race!
Well I started on my trim piece. I decided to go with the Nexus 7 over the Galaxy for a variety of reason. I'm making the piece removable so I can use the Nexus 7 beyond the car. It is truly a fine piece of hardware.

Anyway this is how it looks. I dremeled apart the face from the din kit. The trim piece that mounts on top of the face has always bothered me. So i joined those together and started sanding. It feels more solid than ever and just needs some primer now. I will be removing the MFD2 from my car tonight and going to see how the face plate fits. After I get that right I will be making the backing. Overall not too hard.

The idea is that I can remove the faceplate and take the tablet out. I will be getting the backing for the Nexus 7 mount covered in suede so it looks nice even without it in the car. This way I can clip the faceplate back on exposing the background and making it look as close to OEM as possible.

Here is where I'm at currently.

dremelling apart the fascia

The "trim piece" I mentioned that clips around the face.

trim piece bonded together, sanded with various stages of sandpaper, and ready for primer followed by paint.

Well that's where I'm at now. Hope to start working on the backplate tomorrow after I put some primer on this piece.

ClassicRbt

Ready to race!

about the same gap as OEM, still need it to be removable. Should look good when I paint it. I believe I'm ready to do the backing.

If you are wondering how the faceplate will sit flush, it will have strong magnets behind it. Should work with no problems.

/:threadjacked:

:thumbsup:

Stampedevxl

RACECAR > STANCECAR
Car(s)
really?
how will you get FM radio? and how do you get the sound to go thru the speakers

ClassicRbt

Ready to race!
how will you get FM radio? and how do you get the sound to go thru the speakers

My oem speakers and crossovers are completely gutted. I am running dual amplifiers 1 for the front stage and 1 for my sub. I can either run aux out to rca like I am currently for my iphone. (since i have no radio installed atm) Another option is to put a headunit in the glove box and pair via bluetooth. I'd have fm radio that way. Both are easy options.