GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New to me mkv!

gladdyppp

Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Just got accustomed to this forum, great community. I recently bought a 2007 GTI with 77k mi for $6k!

There are a few issues:
- leaking radiator (generic coolant was used by prev owner, could be it ?)
- no a/c... One line had a hole. New line, new refrigerant, and call it a day hopefully.
- serpentine belt shot, haven't checked timing belt

Interior creaks so much man, esp arm rest area. What have you guys done?
What maintenance do you recommend at this point?
Lmk what I should be looking out for.
Thank you!

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
DSG or Manual?

Check the cam follower or just replace it seeing that you are going to all that effort to take a look at it.

DSG is serviced every 40K so you are due if you got a DSG

Timing belt check it or just replace it based on your years in service (14years), and not your current mileage

Pull the maintenance chart for this '07 and see what is due or past due based on service history or what you find when check.

gladdyppp

Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
DSG or Manual?

Check the cam follower or just replace it seeing that you are going to all that effort to take a look at it.

DSG is serviced every 40K so you are due if you got a DSG

Timing belt check it or just replace it based on your years in service (14years), and not your current mileage

Pull the maintenance chart for this '07 and see what is due or past due based on service history or what you find when check.
Manual...

How do you know if hpfp needs to be replaced along with cam follower?

Yeahhh that seems like a good idea for timing belt.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Go to Ross-Tech dot com and purchase one other diagnostic cables/software. It is fairly easy to use, big support forum and most folks on here use them or at least a code reader. It will help you answer a lot of questions about issues as they arise. Best first investment for your toolbox.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Manual...

How do you know if hpfp needs to be replaced along with cam follower?

Yeahhh that seems like a good idea for timing belt.

No need to replace the Hpfp unless it was damaged during a past cam follower/ hpfp cam lobe issue and someone just decided to drop in a CF and send the car down the road to the next unsuspecting owner which has and does happen. That is a reason any one that get a FSI without history needs to check that asap.

gladdyppp

Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
No need to replace the Hpfp unless it was damaged during a past cam follower/ hpfp cam lobe issue and someone just decided to drop in a CF and send the car down the road to the next unsuspecting owner which has and does happen. That is a reason any one that get a FSI without history needs to check that asap.
I knew nothing 🙃. Gna replace cam follower anyway tomorrow and we'll see how everything looks.