GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

new tires/alignment now shaking?

razr

+50 hp spark plugs
so i got new tires on my huffs, oem size 225/40/18, and an alignment aswell, now when i drive above 60mph the steering wheel shakes a bit and it feels like the lug nuts are not tight or the wheel was not balanced corrrectly.

i feel it coming from the back of the car, below 60mph the car/tires feel great

the car is lowered on koni coills, the car does not rub at any time, before today i did not have any shaking issues or steering issues

the alignment guy told me he got as close to oem alignment specs as much as he could, i watched him do it.

also my tpms low tire pressure light is on? wtf?

i am thinking it is bad wheel balancing? but input on my issue is appreciated.
i would like to have an idea of what it could be before i go back to the tire shop or alignment place to act a fool:paddle:.

cliff notes; steering wheel shakes above 60mph, no such previous issue before new tires/alignment:thumbdown:

Half of the people working at tire stores don't know how to use the balancing machine, is my theory.

Sounds exactly like a balance issue and not at all like an alignment issue.

Your TPMS light is on because you have less than 38psi in one or more tires. Or the guy who mounted your tires ruined a sensor with tire rim goo.

.:Sent by pneumatic tubes

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Yeah check the pressures. What kind of tires did you buy?? There is a good chance they didn't torque your lugs properly. If you don't have a torque wrench already, it's the best $20 you can spend at autozone.

$5 says that all four tires are at 35psi.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
$5 says that all four tires are at 35psi.

Lol. This. I don't know why but tire shops these days just inflate everything to 35 and torque the shit out your bolts with an impact gun.

Lol. This. I don't know why but tire shops these days just inflate everything to 35 and torque the shit out your bolts with an impact gun.

I know! I had to use a breaker bar to get my lugs off, one time.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
I know! I had to use a breaker bar to get my lugs off, one time.

I guess during the season changeovers, they do this just because it's guaranteed to stay put and the fastest way, because they've got 4 million other cars to do. Better that than having them come loose. Makes perfect sense from a business perspective...unfortunately.

Slothy

Distrusts the trustworthy
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I can't imagine lugs being loose. Well, no, I can definitely imagine it - but from how tight the air guns put them on, it'd be a slim bet. I get some shake in my steering wheel at speed (not big shake but beyond vibration) as well with the stock 18" Huffs, but then my suspension is kinda low. I'd also second the torque wrench. Not only does it give you the assurance they're going on to spec, but it's also a hell of a lot less effort than the alternatives.

That said, whenever I take my wheels off, it always scares me how easily the lugs are removed after being torqued to spec...

I guess during the season changeovers, they do this just because it's guaranteed to stay put and the fastest way, because they've got 4 million other cars to do. Better that than having them come loose. Makes perfect sense from a business perspective...unfortunately.

Depends whether they are over-torqued to the point where they might just shear off while you're rolling down the highway at 75mph.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Over-tightened can cause a shake too. Also bad for your rotors.