GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Issue with Infotainment: 2018 GTI

cbr600rr

Go Kart Champion
This is a bit tough to explain...

So recently, and seemingly out of nowhere, my 2018 GTI Autobahn (Canadian) developed a strange issue with the infotainment. When I turn on the car, after any extended period of time, it immediately switches the radio off, and nothing I do can turn the radio back on. This had be stumped for a while. I couldn't figure out why tuning, volume, etc... wasn't working. That was, until I switched over to the car's phone. It turns out that now, whenever I turn the car on, it automatically switches from whatever I was listening to over to the phone. It essentially "lifts the car's phone off the receiver" but without actually lifting my cell phone off the receiver. So the cars phone is on, my cell phone is off, and the radio won't work until I hang up the car's phone.

Has anyone experienced this issue?
Is there an easy solution to resolve it?
Or should I just suck it up and bring my car to the dealer to re-load the software onto the infotainment?

Cheers,

Parker

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Weird. I'd try a couple of things - one, delete your phone from the Bluetooth setup in your car, then re-pair it. Two, cold-boot the infotainment system by holding the power knob down for 10 seconds. If neither of those help, a trip to the dealer would be in order. Perhaps there is an update that solves this.. though I've never heard of it before.