GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New IIHS Crash Test

fastgti69

M3 Eater
good find, very interesting.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
New type of crash test from IIHS. Looks like we'll be getting even heavier chassis in the future.

Fixed it for you there....:D

Just as the car weight seem to start going down as well...we'll also have cars that have black boxes, automatic brake and other useless bits to protect us from ourselves...

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
It's my understanding these models are designed with NCAP standards in mind, not IIHS.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
It's my understanding these models are designed with NCAP standards in mind, not IIHS.

Issue being if it drives public perception one way or another, it'll affect sales, and OEMs will have to adapt. IIHS is not an legislative entity, but their rating are published every year and people do look at it...

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Issue being if it drives public perception one way or another, it'll affect sales, and OEMs will have to adapt. IIHS is not an legislative entity, but their rating are published every year and people do look at it...

Agreed. These automakers will have to either adapt their designs to comply with this new method of testing or educate buyers on NCAP.

It will be interesting to see how lower-line models perform in this test. They may rate so poorly that the mediocre ratings received by the near-luxury models tested that it makes their ratings tolerable thus lowering the bar on what we will accept as a consumer.

C4L

Banned
I wonder if an argument could be made to instead make cars less powerful and lighter weight in an effort to make them easier to control/manage and presumably mitigate an accident in the first place.

And of course a by-product of less powerful, lighter weight cars is less severe accidents in the event one does occur.

Hmmm...

Last edited:

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
I saw this video too. “Shocking“Lexus. Volvo is always good when it comes to safety; hopefully future US Polestar models will be lighter and equipped with punchier engines I would consider one to get. Mercedes claims this test as irrelevant right now: bad approach!! MB need to revise their Gama, doubt will be the C, since it’s already revised and in its way out with the upcoming model. Wonder now how cheaper vehicles such as ours will react to this test...

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I'm not surprised to see the Lexus models the bottom as they're both on really aged platforms while the S60 is new. I would have thought the A4 would have matched the CC at least.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I wonder if an argument could be made to instead make cars less powerful and lighter weight in an effort to make them easier to control/manage and presumably mitigate an accident in the first place.

And of course a by-product of less powerful, lighter weight cars is less severe accidents in the event one does occur.

Hmmm...

The easier to control/managed part is never in this equation for testing, as they are testing for worse case scenario in that accident has happened. I think an argument could be made that a lighter car might have less kinetic energy to dissipate in a crash, but how that energy is dissipated plays a part in how successful the car protects the passenger.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Good point!!

The easier to control/managed part is never in this equation for testing, as they are testing for worse case scenario in that accident has happened. I think an argument could be made that a lighter car might have less kinetic energy to dissipate in a crash, but how that energy is dissipated plays a part in how successful the car protects the passenger.