GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New car

GTICrazy90

Ready to race!
So my dad got into an accident and the insurance company told us today that his car (corolla) is totaled. So he needs a new car now. He's going to be looking probably at $20,000 or lower. He drives a 100 miles a day for work so he needs good MPG. Reliability is pretty important. Soo any suggestions to new cars out there?

I was thinking the Hyundai Sonata GLS with just the auto option. Puts it right at the 20k mark. I gotta admit this car looks pretty good. And it gets 25 city and 34 hwy which is not bad. Other cars to consider is a corolla again, and a civic.

What do you guys suggest?

Also does anyone know the reliability of Hyundai's. I dont know to much about them.

GTICrazy90

Ready to race!

Yea i saw that today on autoblog, thats what got me looking at the Sonata. But my dad doesnt really care about power. Haha my dad normally gets the cheaper car in the family and my mom gets the better one. My dad just needs it to get to work and back, when our family goes out, its my mom's car. But yea the turbo puts out quite a bit of power. But it may cost to much and it's not out yet, any clue when it releases?

dracz91

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVI GTI
X2 on jetta.
But Hyundai isn't bad. My grandpa loves his. No problems yet. He has the sonata i think...the bigger sedan w. The v6. And aunt has the elentra

GTICrazy90

Ready to race!
I've talked to my dad about vw's and he doesnt trust the reliability to much. I know because I told him im looking into getting a GTI in the future. So i would say vw is out of the question. And i know they have improved greatly, put in 5-6 years he put on 167,000 on his corolla, which is the car he got in the accident with. So reliability is an issue with his car. He never really did much maintaining with the corolla other than the necessities.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Tell him to get another Crapolla then, and be done with it. You're on a VW site, saying he won't buy a VW...which is fine I guess. But I'm betting you won't get too many members here that would prefer a Carolla over a Jetta.

Edit: if he gets the Carolla, make sure it's the Sport one. =)

Scharf

I was thinking the Hyundai Sonata GLS with just the auto option. Puts it right at the 20k mark. I gotta admit this car looks pretty good. And it gets 25 city and 34 hwy which is not bad.

Dude the interior is amazing and super comfortable for a 100 mile/day commute.

It will also give you less headaches than a VW will. Cheaper maintenance and less rattles, misc. stuff. Just all around better build quality.

Hyundai has the awesome warranty too.

P.S. get the 400watt Infinity sound system. It's nice.

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
have him get a mazda miata. those things just don't die, and are a blast to drive.

And are quite miserable when doing ~100 miles/day, especially if a lot of it is Interstate. I did it for 2 years. Traded my Miata for my JSW.

At 80 MPH the engine is screaming along at 4200 RPM. And just wait 'til a Peterbilt steps on his air brakes in traffic next to you.

My Miata was one of the easiest cars I've ever wrenched on though. Highly reliable and a bottomless barrel of fun in the twists.

GTICrazy90

Ready to race!
Hmm how about a slightly used jetta TDI? How are those engines, as reliability goes?

Right now, one main thing that toyota has going for it, is the huge sales they are having. With 0% apr we can pocket the money the insurance gave us, and i also think toyota is doing a 2 year no maintenance cost.

But right now im highly considering my dad to get the Sonata, it just depends if he wants that big of a car or not.