Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Used Canon 30D

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Used/New Nikon D40

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

HACBassoon

Go Kart Champion
I'm looking for a new camera. I've always wanted a DSLR, just not sure if I want to spend the money. I just made a poll to see what you guys recommend. If it's not too much trouble, go ahead a post a comment on why/why not. Thanks.

ShadowGLI

Sandy Vagina Rinser Outer
Car(s)
2006 GLI w/ DSG
You could always get a cannon 20D for the price of the XTi... I bought the Canon XTi and I love it but there are a few little things I would prefer on the 20d.. Also check Arin Ahnell on here, his photo's are on the 20d..

Canon FTMFW!!!!

and if you could get a good shape 30D that would be pretty BA.. I sometimes wish I had just gotten that out of the gate... I bought the XTi (body only) with a 50mm 1.8 and a 28-105 lens.. vs the not so good 28-55 it comes with.

gti5dr06

Autocross Newbie
photography is actually similar to cars..money wise..high quality lens can go anywhere from 500 to 1k +

if you're going to get a P&S Fuji f30 and f31 are the best

d40's good and i would have picked one up had it come with the AF motor in the D50, which i needed since i wanted to pick up primes..however if you're new to DSLR's anyway xti should suit your needs just fine..the 50mm 1.8 prime is one of the best lenses for both Canon or Nikon and really cheap too

sadd3j

Vwoooooooooooooom
When it comes to DSLR's.. the quality comes from the lenses. Expect to pay more for your lenses than the body itself. Assuming you have a budget (and not just infinite $$), I would get the cheapest body you can and the best lenses you can.

That being said.. if you're starting out in DSLR territory.. you're best bet is the XTi coupled with maybe a 17-85 IS lens.. its got decent coverage and you'll be able to use it for most things. Once you know what kind of things you like to shoot and what needs you have.. then you can start dropping cash on the L lenses :)

ShadowGLI

Sandy Vagina Rinser Outer
Car(s)
2006 GLI w/ DSG
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your xti?

Here is a breakdown of everything.

I picked up
-Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi Silver 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera (Body Only/No Lens Included) 719.10

-Canon EF 28-105 mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM Standard Zoom Lens 224.10

-Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens 62.89

-SanDisk 2 GB Extreme III CompactFlash Card (20MB read/write) 55.99

-Sony VCT-R640 Lightweight Tripod 47.99

All of this for a grand total of $1,110.07

I have a friend that does photography for a living, he didn't help me choose all this as he was on vacation at the time but he said the two lenses I purchased were great for the price and would do me really well. He said he actually has them as well and definately makes use of them.

The nice thing is that the XTi has alot of features of the 20D, its missing the ability to choose exact iso settings and being able to just keep the shutter wide open. The body is also smaller than some people like. I don't mind it though. It feels really good with a descent lens on it.

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

Oh yea, I got everything through Dell as they have camera sales pretty often . :iono:

For the heck of it looked it up on CircuitCity.com
as of 05/03/07
Camera : $735.99
28-105 $299.99
50f1.8 $99.99
2gb Card : $74.99
They don't have the tripod but these 4 items alone are *drumroll please*
$1210.96

Yay Dell :laughabove:

Geesevs

Interior > Horsepower
Car(s)
07 GTI
20d or get a evolt e500 I have the evolt and I love it. 2 things I don't like alot is the fact the night shots aren't so great unless I shoot in raw with a tripod ( put thats pretty much all cameras, unless you spend $$$$$!!) and I only have 3 focal points and 4 metering options ( pretty much all cameras around this level are the same cept canons they have quite a bit of options in the focal points).

I got mine a few months ago and spent a few more $$ but newegg has a good deal on them with some decent glass
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830111169