GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need some new rubber

ThunderbirdJunkie

Ready to race!
I need some new rubber for the DD. '07 Jetta 2.5 5 speed, no mods, 16" wheels.

I was thinking about going from the stock 205/55-16s to 225/50-16s. Right now, the car's got some god-awful Firestone Firehawk GT-Hs...they fold over in corners and on wet entrance ramps in third gear at 50 mph, it will light up the inside front tire. Not good for a 150 hp, 3,200 lb car.

I've considered Goodyear Eagle GTs, Cooper RS3-As, Continental DWSs (which seem to be liked above all else here), any other suggestions? I'm a rubber elitist, and I don't want any Kumhos or Hankooks or people telling me how good the 30 series Nexens on their slammed and cambered pavement scraper handle.

So far, I'm leaning toward the Coopers or Goodyears because of my previous experience with their truck tires, and away from the Continentals because of my previous experience with everything else they make. I'm not too worried about tread life; if I were, I wouldn't drive the way I do. I'm worried about dry and wet weather traction.

Thanks, guys.

Last edited:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Ready to race!
Gavin, my local tire dealer actually recommended the Eagle F1 Asymmetric all season. I can't find any info on how they do in snow...but they can't be any worse than these Firestones, ha. Thanks!

And tires for this car are CHEAP! I spent $900 installed on the LRE Duratracs for the Jeep...and with these Asymmetrics I'll be under 700 with alignment.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I had Hankook Ventus' - worst tires I ever owned. But if you want very inexpensive they're a good choice.

Gavin, I don't see P-Zero Nero's on your list. I like their ride much better than the Hankooks. And when I bought them, Tirerack reviews showed their ride was the best when compared to the others. Are there any other tires that have a superior ride?

ThunderbirdJunkie

Ready to race!
I had Hankook Ventus' - worst tires I ever owned. But if you want very inexpensive they're a good choice.

Gavin, I don't see P-Zero Nero's on your list. I like their ride much better than the Hankooks. And when I bought them, Tirerack reviews showed their ride was the best when compared to the others. Are there any other tires that have a superior ride?

You bought a racecar, ride quality doesn't matter ;-)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2