GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need New Tires

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
Hey guys. Just have a simple question. My tires are on their last leg. They are practically bald to the point where my car is getting wobbly on the highway. Dealership multi-point inspection rated them as 4/32. I'm looking for exact match to the ones that I have now which are Dunlop 225/40/R18. I need all four and preferably within the next few weeks.

Whats a good website to purchase them from?

Thanks for any help!

Slave IV

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV R32, B5 S4
look above your post. click on banner. /thread
urwelcome

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
Yeah, I've bought tires (and wheels) from Tire Rack several times. I would recommend them.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I always use discounttiredirect.com or tire rack.

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
Research continental dws tires. Good for mild snow and great performance tires.

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
Thanks for the info fellas. I've been noticing a significant drop in mpg. Last year around this time I always remembered 27-28 avg. now it seems like it's stuck between 22-24 avg. Could the tires really have that much of an affect on mpg?

popcorn

Yes, lack of tread on a tyre will have a significant impact on the characteristics of a tyre, one of which is the rolling resistance. With less tread and I assume uneven wear as well on your tyres, they the rolling resistance would be quite a bit higher than when the tyres were new and would require a greater amount of throttle to accelerate and maintain speed. Replace them asap and get much better grip off the line and in the twisties!

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
Yes, lack of tread on a tyre will have a significant impact on the characteristics of a tyre, one of which is the rolling resistance. With less tread and I assume uneven wear as well on your tyres, they the rolling resistance would be quite a bit higher than when the tyres were new and would require a greater amount of throttle to accelerate and maintain speed. Replace them asap and get much better grip off the line and in the twisties!

Awesome! Thanks so much for the info. :thumbup:

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
Well, I see your up in Jersey where you get all four seasons. I've been buying tires from The Tire Rack since the 1980's. You can't do better even with the shipping. I just joined this forum with a (new to me) 2007 Golf GTI with burnt-out 225/40 R18 Toyo tires. Noisey! and very little tread left. Last Saturday, I bought a set of: 225/40ZR-18 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season XL for the car and Tires Plus installed them today. Wow! what a difference! And to think they will only improve with break-in! There are a lot of high perf summer tires for our cars but only the Michelin Pilot, the Continental DWS and these Goodyears get the very good reviews for all season. Even though I'm in Florida I like an all weather tire cause, well; you never know. You know?!