GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need Help - Springs Again! Anyone have a VW color decoder?

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion
Okay, looks like I'm replacing all 4 springs on my MKV GTI - 2008. As luck would have it, FCP Euro has the exact color coded VW Manufacture OEM spring for my front struts... but, they are backordered indefinitely (surprise). They have a s-load of other springs, of course, in other color codes, but my exact color code on my front springs is:

FRONT SPRINGS = (YELLOW) (WHITE) (WHITE)

REAR SPRINGS = RUST! (not sure what color dots they were supposed to have, but should be able to figure it out based off of front springs, I'm guessing).

Also, my car is a 2008 DSG Auto with 17 in wheels. I'm assuming the color coding calls for a specific VW spring rate that is meant for the extra weight of the DSG tranny combined with the wheel choice? Does anyone have any expertise in this area? I did finds some threads that talked about colors, but, again, as luck would have it --- two people asked "what about Yellow, White, White" and there was no response.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT -- oh, and my MKV is a two door as well (I'm assuming that may be a factor as well related to spring rate).

Last edited:

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion
Update - While I'd still love to know exactly what the color codes mean (esp if one color code is easily interchangeable for another) I ended up contacting ECS Auto via chat. ECS ended up being very helpful. The rep (Chris) asked me for my car's VIN # and after giving it to him, he was able to recommend VW Part Nos #1K0411105JC and #1K0511115EB.

Everything with tax ended up costing me over $480 (with free ECS T-shirt). Good price for OEM, but ouch at nearly $500 for 4 springs. Even at the ECS discount over dealer cost, it was still more than I hoped to pay... and can you imagine how much that would cost installed, from the dealer?

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
FCP Euro has the -EB for $112.50 in stock. But the -JC, for $136.50. Total would've been $249 and a lifetime warranty.

Last edited:

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion
FCP Euro has the -EB for $112.50 in stock. But the -JC, for $136.50, are on back order. Total would've been $249 and a lifetime warranty.
Hello, sorry, just saw this now. I needed 4 springs. So, unless that price was for the pair, it would have been around what I paid for the VW manufacture color coded springs.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Last edited:

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion
I think you are right. I thought $112 and $136 was...per pair. But it seems to be for each spring. It does state "each" on the site.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-coil-spring-front-gti-golf-vag-1k0411105jc
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-coil-spring-rear-gti-golf-vag-1k0511115eb
Yep, I actually ordered a bunch of stuff from FCP Euro - they're one of my go-to auto part sites with their lifetime guarantees, low free shipping amount, and I just like their website and how it tells you whether a part is OE, OEM, Manufacturer, or Aftermarket... and even where the part is made. All that said, FCP was more expensive than ECS on the springs (partly may be due to lifetime warranty), but they also did not have the springs I needed in stock. The ones that were OOS, were the exact ones I needed.