GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need help, point me in right direction.

myke1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15 SE DSG|19 STI WP
Hey guys!
Long story short, I had an MK7 GTI and now an STI. Basically I want back into a VAG and I’m considering an A3. Are A3’s identical to GTI’s but with Heldex? Are the Heldex systems the same as Golf R? Or is it a weaker version?

Thanks and I hope to be back in a VAG soon!
Mike

myke1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15 SE DSG|19 STI WP
Thanks for the replay!
I’ve tried reading as much as I could this weekend. I know the Weight is much more. But, if the heldex system is stout like Golf R, then it might be something I consider.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
A3 is a GTI with AWD.
A3S is an R.

I think this is correct.
For the $ GTI snd R better.
Audi does have nice interior and no hatch.
As much as I like a TT S, hard to look past an R with lower cost.

myke1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15 SE DSG|19 STI WP
Gen 3 8v, 2015-2020. But if I go this route, newer A3 possible.

Like I said I had an MK7 GTI (loved it). I’m pretty knowledgeable of this but little details I can’t figure out. I’m thinking the A3 is an AWD (heldex) GTI. Let’s call it, the WRX. While the S3/R is the STI. Most A3 part numbers match the same with GTI’s. For example, the breaks are exactly the same.

What about the rear diff and the heldex? Are those stout like the S3/R?

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
OP, If diggs24 says they are, I'd believe him.

Some 2015 GTI's had problems, so I'd shy away from that year. I don't think 2016's had any problems. You might want to ask which years seem to be the most trouble-free. Since you're also looking at new, you might be able to get a good deal if you find a leftover A3 or S3. Keep in mind they didn't make many S3's, and they're a lot more expensive. Since you're so interested in whether they hold power well, I assume you want to tune it? You should also be perusing the tuning sections to see how people are coping with higher HP. If you are bent on very high HP/torque tuning, budget $10,000 in case you blow and engine or transmission, since unless you install a piggyback there's no chance Audi/VW will do repairs under warranty. And it's a shame you'll pay for at least a 5-year driveline warranty in the purchase price and throw it away. But if you afford to pay to play, more power to ya.