GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need Help: Immobilizer?, PRNDS, Stuck Key

RevoGLI

i <3 canada land
Car(s)
2006 GLI
So today I went to change a simple fuse in my side panel because my rear defroster stopped working. Pulled out the old fuse and plopped in the new one (25 amp, clear) with the correct replacement. I had to pull a lot of other fuses out to get to the rear one but I'm 100% sure nothing went funky.

I go to hop back in the car and start it up when I get the PRNDS flashing lights of death. I can start it up and all the electronics work, including the rear defroster, but I can put it into gear.

So I disconnected the battery and waited. I go back in and the PRNDS is still flashing and now I can't take the key out. I can turn off the car, but the key can't cycle past the first click so I can't remove it from the ignition.

I have APR software, but I doubt it is locking me out. No access to vag com or any scanning tool unless I get towed to a dealer.

I have pics of my fuse box (and engine just in case):

I know everybody's fuse layout is different, I have dsg, package 2 w/ xm, heated seats, sunroof, and cold weather package

Last edited:

RevoGLI

i <3 canada land
Car(s)
2006 GLI
I can't scan for codes, and it won't go into gear so its locked in park with the PRNDS flashing and the steering wheel light on. No "key/immobilizer" light on, however.

Also, I can't lock the car as the key in the ignition isn't responding to the lock/unlock buttons and obviously I can't lock it either.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Try turning the steering wheel back and forth while you try to turn the key back.

ChattMkv

Level 80 Procrasturbator
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
I didn't notice until I got back into the house from taking a pic of my fusebox but I doubt this will help as ours are so different.

Attachments

• fusebox.jpg
    fusebox.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 3,626

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
It's not the immobilizer lol I've told you this.

FaLLeNAn9eL

JESUS HATES FLAT TIRE
I found this. Sounds exactly like what's happening with you.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=235442

CUJET said:
Of course, you must make sure the shifter is in park and the brake pedal is depressed. You must also make sure, ultra sure, that the fuse you installed is in the proper slot and making contact.

I have had many issues with the fuses not contacting the tab inside. This means that the fuse is installed but not working.

Use a strong flashlight and look at your fuse box slots very carefully. ANY slot that has 2 (two) copper tabs NEEDS a fuse. Regardless of what the manual says, or the fuse box diagram.

If the slot has only 1 tab, obviously, a fuse will not connect to anything.

Please double check this before going to the dealer.

In my case, I had 3 fuses that did not make contact with the 2 tabs in the fuse box. I ended up slightly bending the "fuse" tabs in a slight "U" shape to ensure contact. Works like a charm.

Chris

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2408274&postcount=4

Other Guy said:
Just went to the dealership and picked up the jetta. Kudos to Chris (CUJET) as the problem rooted in the one similar to the one you described. The blades on the end of the DSG transmission fuse were not touching the two tabs in the fuse box. I guess they just shook loose over time. I did check all the fuses as was recommended, but I just missed it. The dealership said that was the first thing they checked and it was off by just a tad. So $120 dollars later (the dealership did pay for the tow) it is fixed and in my garage and continues to run like a champ. No big deal I guess with that being the only problem I have ever had with the car and it has 70k miles on it. Looking forward to many more strong miles!

I have read that PRNDS Flashing usually means a blown TCM and Tim Birney pointed that out here. THANKFULLY that was not my case with this problem!!!

As for the search function- I do know what it is and do use it and it is great. I searched the terms PRNDS and flash but everything I found didnt seem to give me much relevance. I'm I missing something? Thanks for everyones help!

-Chris

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2409323&postcount=13

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
I told you to check the fuse for it :iono: maybe it's different for the Jetta than it is for a GTI?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I guess the moral of the story is - don't remove a fuse unless it's bad.

I thought the rear window defroster was on a circuit breaker not a fuse.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
I guess the moral of the story is - don't remove a fuse unless it's bad.

I thought the rear window defroster was on a circuit breaker not a fuse.

Fuse was bad homie. So no need for stupid responses. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358203345.368760.jpg
A fuse is a circuit breaker, what are you talking about? :lol:

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"