GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need Help...Dropped Can follower into parts unknown

Chumleepro3

Baller on a budget
Car(s)
2007 GTI
So today I was checking my cam follower like a good vw owner :wink: when I was replacing it and had I nice and lubed up I went to put it back in and it slipped from my.fingers and fell into the engine bay. I've been looking for it for the last 3 hours but cannot find it. It fell infringe of the fuel pump by the fan. My question is if I buy another one from my dealer for $104 is there a chance when I'm driving it could come loose and get caught in something? Or will it most likely just fall out the bottom?

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
There's always a chance it could get caught in something if you don't know where it is.

Chumleepro3

Baller on a budget
Car(s)
2007 GTI
No I just phones the dealer in Calgary in Canada and that's what he said. Looking down where it could have gone I feel like it should be on the ground but no such.luck :iono:

Car(s)
Subaru
my guess is it either is where the transmission is, under the intake manifold, or in the radiator fan shroud. with the intake off, check around on the transmission. if its under the intake manifold, say good bye cause its not worth digging around unless you see it. the job taking it off isnt worth it. if its in the fan shroud, then you might be able to dig it out. its no telling where it is though. i cant think of any place that it could hurt if it was left alone.

as for $104 for a cf, thats too expensive. you can buy them on amazon for a lot cheaper, or use an online store like ecs or deutsche

Chumleepro3

Baller on a budget
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Ok I'll take a look there tomorrow.thanks for the help.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
You're not going to find one at the prices the American members get them. Everything is more expensive here, and most things shipped from America will be taxed at the border so you could end up paying more.

I think your best bet is to find private VW shops and ask them what they want for a new one. My mechanic keeps them in stock, I pay $67 for them.

Chumleepro3

Baller on a budget
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Yeah I when to the Ecs online shop and shipping is like $30 and they say that does not include duty at the border. I'll phone around town and see what turns.up

Mithotyn

O'doyle rules
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI 3dr 6MT
I just bought one from Fifth Avenue Autohaus in Calgary. Can't remember the price but it was a lot less than $100.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
flip the car upside down and try to shake it out

This actually made me laugh out loud.

Back to business, drop the plastic skid plate (~10 T25 screws) if its not there then at least you will have more access and a different view angle. I did my buddies intake and dropped one of the screws right where you did and I looked for hours, eventually chaulked it up to the VW gremlins that loosten screws in places I cant reach and make shit rattle.

Chumleepro3

Baller on a budget
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Yeah total was $93.after tax...got it installed and all seemed well when I took it for a drive. Just hope it doesn't get caught.somewhere when im driving but that's what happens.when you have butterfingers :biggrin:

Tutti57

Ready to race!
Try getting under the car and pounding on the plastic pieces to see if you hear it jumping around.

You'll probably end up taking that large cover off and reaching around in there with a magnet. Try the magnet from above too in places you cant see.

Chances are you'll find it next year while changing another part.

Chumleepro3

Baller on a budget
Car(s)
2007 GTI
haha don't worry it was worn anyways, it will go in the garbage if I find it. I trued pounding on the bottom and heard nothing so I figured it it secured wherever it.is