GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mysterious Ticking Noise - SOLVED

doktorslowburn

Car(s)
07 GTI Base
Hey everyone,

A while back I posted a thread asking for help with a ticking sound my mk5 GTI (FSI) was making. I’ve still been unable to figure out what’s causing it. I took a couple more videos, and I’m hoping someone can help me out.

The first video is the sound with the hood closed. The sound I’m referring to is vastly more obvious when the hood is closed, or when I’m next to a wall or another car.

The second video is with the hood open. The sound is less obvious, but can still be heard if you know what you’re listening for, which is demonstrated in the first video.

I’ve already replaced the timing belt and associated parts. I also replaced the N80 valve thinking that was it, but it clearly wasn’t. I’ve used a stethoscope to try and pinpoint the sound, but couldn’t find it. Everything I listened to sounded normal, all I could hear was the normal lifter tick. Nothing making that offbeat ticking sound you hear in the first video.

I’m at my wit’s end trying to diagnose this, getting ready to just take it into a shop and pay a diagnostic fee, but if someone has any idea what’s going on maybe you can save me the $130.

Hood Closed
Hood Open

Wolfsburg96

Car(s)
2017 Golf wolfsburg
Is it a pipe bomb? Teeheehee....
On a serious note, sounds valvetrain related.. coming from my motorcycle experience, ticking sounds can also be cause by an exhaust leak. Check around your manifold. Other than that you may try to elimate a component on the serpentine belt. If you remove the belt and start it, see if the sound is still there.

doktorslowburn

Car(s)
07 GTI Base
Is it a pipe bomb? Teeheehee....
On a serious note, sounds valvetrain related.. coming from my motorcycle experience, ticking sounds can also be cause by an exhaust leak. Check around your manifold. Other than that you may try to elimate a component on the serpentine belt. If you remove the belt and start it, see if the sound is still there.
Hey, someone got the reference!
Thanks for your reply though. I agree it definitely sounds valvetrain related, which is concerning. I did a compression test yesterday and got 160 PSI across the board on a dry test. Not amazing, but should at least indicate I don’t have any bent valves.
I’m lifting the car up later today to install my GFB DV+, so while I’m under there I’m going to fire her up and give it another listen. I already removed the serp belt entirely and the sound still occurred, so it’s not anything on that track. It’s driving me nuts!

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Did you get under this car and check if you can locate the noise your are concerned about? These FSI make enough noise as is but if you hear this noise more with the hood close and next to cars or walls I would be listening from below. Might be a dmf starting to make noise.

doktorslowburn

Car(s)
07 GTI Base
My gti has dual mass flywheel chatter, had it up on the hoist to confirm
sounds pritty similar to yours.

anyone mentioned that to you?
No, I hadn’t heard anything about this at all. Is that a serious problem?

Did you get under this car and check if you can locate the noise your are concerned about? These FSI make enough noise as is but if you hear this noise more with the hood close and next to cars or walls I would be listening from below. Might be a dmf starting to make noise.
Interesting that two people have mentioned the dmf now. I did get under the car and listen but still wasn’t able to pin it down. I poked around EVERYWHERE with that stethoscope and just could not pinpoint the sound. If it is the dmf, is that basically a death sentence for it? I already planned on getting a clutch job done but won’t be able to afford the parts for a few more months.

James.maymkv

Car(s)
Mk5 gti
Nah not serious, youd know about it if it was. i work at a VAG dealership and have heard some BAD ones haha

but would recommend getting an experienced ear onto it, have it idling up on the hoist to confirm as it might save you $$ in the long run.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Plenty of videos on the net that you can hear what a dmf sounds like when it is failing in a VW.

Ex

Listen to a few and you should be able to tell if that really is your issue.

doktorslowburn

Car(s)
07 GTI Base
Update: it was the cam chain tensioner. I did the project this weekend just to rule that out as the cause, and found that the plastic guide on top had completely broken in half. I think the ticking was the plastic bits jingling around in the casing. Image attached.
Fired her up about 20 minutes ago and now runs quieter than ever. Now I just need to order a replacement for the PCV valve screw I dropped into the abyss.
Thanks all for your help!
DBC593A7-7D58-4962-95EF-E16FC87F79C2.jpeg