GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My second build on my 08 GTI

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
Having just upgraded to LSD on my K04 MKV and finally being able to put power down consistently, I don’t see the Haldex on the MK6R being worth the extra weight and parasitic loss. That said, if your going beyond K04 power, AWD should pay dividends.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Having just upgraded to LSD on my K04 MKV and finally being able to put power down consistently, I don’t see the Haldex on the MK6R being worth the extra weight and parasitic loss. That said, if your going beyond K04 power, AWD should pay dividends.
I would agree, I was very happy with my K04 setup and MFac LSD. With racing slicks it made for a lot of fun on the track. It is a great setup for the chassis. Given all the difficulties I have had I wish I would have just stayed with that setup

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Get the Golf R, mainly due to stiffer MK6 chassis and slightly better factory aero.

I took the GTI out to Thunderhill West yesterday and ended the day driving my friends NA Miata and E46 M3, both track prepped. I’m at the point where I don’t know if I want to continue modding the GTI or look for a rwd car, haha
Well the Golf R is about 8K more than the MKV. After talking with both owners I am confident that either car will be a well cared for example, both with low mileage and either will make for a good host for many of my parts. The Golf R is of course much more expensive but it is located a little less than an hour from me while the MKV K04 is in New Jersey and I am in California. I checked in the with Golf R owner today, he is going on vacation today and I will check out the car when he gets back 1st week in June. The car is already setup to track and is running an E85 tuned IE450 turbo kit. I have not seen dyno sheet yet but it should be around 500whp on E85.

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
Well the Golf R is about 8K more than the MKV. After talking with both owners I am confident that either car will be a well cared for example, both with low mileage and either will make for a good host for many of my parts. The Golf R is of course much more expensive but it is located a little less than an hour from me while the MKV K04 is in New Jersey and I am in California. I checked in the with Golf R owner today, he is going on vacation today and I will check out the car when he gets back 1st week in June. The car is already setup to track and is running an E85 tuned IE450 turbo kit. I have not seen dyno sheet yet but it should be around 500whp on E85.
A fews things to consider:
- The MK6R is more expensive, but will also hold value much better than a GTI. I’ve heard heard mixed opinions on the IE450. Search the Vortex MK6R forum and you’ll see some cars had issues. Also, 500whp is probably too much for the stock CRZA rods/pistons so be sure it’s built.
- On the MKV, I’m in NJ and if it’s not too far, I’d be willing to look it over for you. That said, having had to repair rust on my Jersey MKV in several areas, I’d look for a car this age in the south or west coast away from the road salt.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
A fews things to consider:
- The MK6R is more expensive, but will also hold value much better than a GTI. I’ve heard heard mixed opinions on the IE450. Search the Vortex MK6R forum and you’ll see some cars had issues. Also, 500whp is probably too much for the stock CRZA rods/pistons so be sure it’s built.
- On the MKV, I’m in NJ and if it’s not too far, I’d be willing to look it over for you. That said, having had to repair rust on my Jersey MKV in several areas, I’d look for a car this age in the south or west coast away from the road salt.
All good points on the R. The positive thing about this setup is that it is not using the kit tune but one from UM. I have corresponded with a couple of other EFR guys that are also running UM tunes with very positive results.

The New Jersey car, based on the conversation with the owner was never a daily driver but rather a fun fair weather toy. It is a 2007 with only 60K miles on it.
Thanks for the offer to look it over. Folks can say a lot of things but you have to see it in person to be sure it is as advertised for sure.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
The MKV is not in NJ its in Maryland, darn.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Well I "think" the MKV project is sold. I have purchased a MK6 R so I will be moving on to that new platform after 13 years with my GTI. Really enjoyed (when it was K04) but never got to enjoy the big turbo.