GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My second build on my 08 GTI

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Talked to Mike, he doesn't do any engine removal or engine assembly work, just machine work on that engine. Bummer.
I did get a referral from Mike for a guy in my area, Jerrod at Competitive Edge Industries in Corona CA, spoke with him and he is currently out of town but when he gets back next week he indicated he was willing to take on the project.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Well got car running, took trip around the hood, coasting home 25mph just taking it easy I hear all kinds of clanging and racket. Bolts on my driver side axle (at the trans) came loose and one of the bolts put a 1in hole in the trans case. Doh! Look for a lot of parts for sale in a month or so, going to take it all apart and cash out. Going to be a long list of very nice parts many with less than 200 miles on them.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Here is what it looks like, all bolts missing and a big hole in the trans case. As I mentioned most of the car only has 200mi on it, you can see how clean this is and I didn't wipe it off or anything.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Damn! :(

But before that happened, the plan was to rebuild/fix it right?
i.e. this was the final straw
Yes it was the plan but this whole project just has not worked out for me. The bolt through the trans killed any desire I have to go at it again. I have the money to go at it again but just not the will. I put it up for quick sale on forum for 10K as it sits, if no member is interested I will start part out in March and put my new impact wrenches to work.

Last edited:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I feel confident in saying many of us were hoping the luck with this one would've turned around after the last disappointment.

I hope you will have an easy time detaching yourself from it.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I will be fine. I hope. Should I be worried (separation anxiety) .... Ha No its just a car. Like I said, I don't generally believe in "signs" but damn this project has been beating me over the head saying let go, for a long time. Time to let it go. Really hoping someone would buy it as is and roll it out of here. Someone willing to wrench would be getting a lot for 10K.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
So new information on what may have happened to my car. I am referring to my first track outing in which the spark plug electrodes melted off in 2 cylinders. I just assumed it was detonation, plugs not cold enough for my all out tune. The tuner created a 380+ whp tune for which I had the PF7RB plugs in (I supplied them). He then created and delivered the car to me with the 480+ whp tune but with the same plugs in. So I took it to the track and it started to miss on the first lap until it seemed like it was in limp mode. Pulled the plugs and found these in 2 of the cylinders.

This weekend another MKV K04 owner running a stage 2 tune had it happen as soon as he switched to NGK PF7RB plugs. He too had 2 plugs fail in exactly the same way. As it turns out we both bought them on Amazon. And after he pointed out the possibility that these were fake NGK plugs, I started looking for info on the subject. Apparently quite common and all the plugs look like mine with melted off electrodes and tips. I normally buy plugs from my usual part house but looking back at my records I got them off Amazon.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
This weekend another MKV K04 owner running a stage 2 tune had it happen as soon as he switched to NGK PF7RB plugs. He too had 2 plugs fail in exactly the same way. As it turns out we both bought them on Amazon. And after he pointed out the possibility that these were fake NGK plugs, I started looking for info on the subject. Apparently quite common and all the plugs look like mine with melted off electrodes and tips.

Good find and thanks for sharing.
...but now I have to go out and inspect mine...dammich!

...turns out mine have the larger radius in the ground electrode and I do not remember buying them on Amazon.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Hi my friend,
Do you have an update for your car?
I have been procrastinating. Reality of my situation is that I want to throw in the towel but I can't really part the car out fully without a host of stock parts to replace parts to keep car ready for tow away when done. Basically have a pile of unusable and unsellable parts right now. I may be forced to get it running again.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
So as I procrastinate, the situation just keeps degenerating. It is unreal. So I built this to be a track car blah blah and I purchased a truck to tow it to the track. Found a 2009 Ford F150 with a brand new motor, brakes and suspension with a tow package and the larger 5.4 V-8, worked perfectly for towing.

I got rear ended on the freeway 2 days ago and the truck is going to be totaled. Nobody in the accident sustained injuries but both vehicles trashed. Guy in 2021 Chevy Traverse took his eyes off the road and plowed into the back of me (traffic was stopping) without hitting his brakes. Bent the frame and tow bar a lot on my truck. Pushed the bed into the cab a bit, pretty jacked up.

Soooooo..... I am thinking that I will now look for another VW and just go back to making a fun street legal car. I have found a couple of low mileage MKV cars that I am considering, one is stock the other is nicely outfitted and has APR K04 setup. And I am also in contact with someone selling a MK6 GolfR with the IE450 kit on it. I could use a LOT of the parts off my failed project on any of the 3. Ideally I would end up with a car I could just drive to the track like I had been doing before. Just need to finish settling with the insurance company over the next week and then deciding which is the best way to go...

MKV GTI DSG pure stock with 46K mi
MKV GTI 6spd with APR K04 and all supporting mods and some nice Recaro seats 60K miles
MK6 R 6spd with IE450 but 93+K mi

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
So as I procrastinate, the situation just keeps degenerating. It is unreal. So I built this to be a track car blah blah and I purchased a truck to tow it to the track. Found a 2009 Ford F150 with a brand new motor, brakes and suspension with a tow package and the larger 5.4 V-8, worked perfectly for towing.

I got rear ended on the freeway 2 days ago and the truck is going to be totaled. Nobody in the accident sustained injuries but both vehicles trashed. Guy in 2021 Chevy Traverse took his eyes off the road and plowed into the back of me (traffic was stopping) without hitting his brakes. Bent the frame and tow bar a lot on my truck. Pushed the bed into the cab a bit, pretty jacked up.

Soooooo..... I am thinking that I will now look for another VW and just go back to making a fun street legal car. I have found a couple of low mileage MKV cars that I am considering, one is stock the other is nicely outfitted and has APR K04 setup. And I am also in contact with someone selling a MK6 GolfR with the IE450 kit on it. I could use a LOT of the parts off my failed project on any of the 3. Ideally I would end up with a car I could just drive to the track like I had been doing before. Just need to finish settling with the insurance company over the next week and then deciding which is the best way to go...

MKV GTI DSG pure stock with 46K mi
MKV GTI 6spd with APR K04 and all supporting mods and some nice Recaro seats 60K miles
MK6 R 6spd with IE450 but 93+K mi
So the first 46K mi GTI sold
2nd GTI still there
Golf R has 43K miles not 93K miles

I want the Golf R if it can get smogged.

greasem0nkey86

Car(s)
07 GTI
Get the Golf R, mainly due to stiffer MK6 chassis and slightly better factory aero.

I took the GTI out to Thunderhill West yesterday and ended the day driving my friends NA Miata and E46 M3, both track prepped. I’m at the point where I don’t know if I want to continue modding the GTI or look for a rwd car, haha