GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My second build on my 08 GTI

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco
Finally ready to get this thing back on the road. I believe I have found a proper engine guy to fix whatever was broken by the plugs. So the project will be restarted. This time I have decided to go street legal. I just can't bring myself to give up on the project till finished.
I am happy that you resume the project. I just resumed mine few days ago and lets see who they will be :)

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR

Some of the carnage when I dropped my 35 dollar iphone scope in to take a look. Couldn't see the walls with the angle viewer but it all needs to come apart. You can see where the bits of the melted spark plug dropped onto the piston and welded itself there..

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I am still searching for a shop to pull and fix motor. Had a line on a shop in Anaheim but they are already overbooked.

Anybody have any SoCal recommendations?

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I forgot your thread was here in General Topics...and BTW, ouch! I just ordered an endo-scope because I hate the $10 China scope I first bought. It also has attachments for it and I now will never use one when looking at the valves. "Thanks", I suppose, for the heads-up? I'll back-read and see if you posted what you were doing to prompt the scoping of the cylinders.

There's really nothing wrong with my '07, but I just ordered a bunch of stuff that mine needs to remain road worthy for another, fingers x'd, 100k miles. It'll give me stuff to do while in "Social Distance" mode. Going to first tackle the headlight, belly pan, and front lower wheel arch, and both rear liners. I am waiting to do the lpfp upgrade, bought the Quantum 265L/hr, in case I screw something up and who then knows when I will be able to get what I may be in need of. For the same reason of the unknown future, I am waiting to do the new filter housing and the seals that sandwich it, the injectors, the new Golf R turbo, timing chain and tensioner, and a catted DP. Then a front lower driver's seat re-cover. All of this, and continuing scheduled services, should make it last for the rest of my life.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
This is their k04 so it should be legit then:.

https://turbozentrum.co.uk/K04-064-Upgrade-Kit-for-18-20-TSI-transverse-Engines

I don't see anything about them so that why I searched a bit and found you using one of their turbos.
I actually prefer the DV relocate and having easier access to the DV.

You do not hear much here about Turbozentrum because there aren't many dealers or custom tuners in the states. Even on the UK MK5 Forum, not many people have gone for the TTE420 and other available turbos they offer. And I think more people opt for the lessor costing turbo upgrade options. You'll be happy with a tuned K04 with HPFP upgrade.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Right now I just feel like selling it but...
Keep me in mind, LOL. If I've sold the house at the right time...I would be interested in helping you unload it...into my garage. But I would suggest you keep it and finish it for track only and get that trailer.

Last edited:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I could stick to it and fix it but I am just over it. There is hope that the damage won't be too extensive since it still runs with zero characteristic sounds of severe damage. My son is looking for a project so it will be a good fit for him. Fingers crossed that it will not take too much for him to get it where it should have been in the first place. After doing a little research it appears the plugs were too hot for the tune/fueling based on folk with similar visible plug issues. Detonation basically. Probably would have grenaded bottom end of a stock motor, this one was built for more power than we ended up with.
Definitely in need of 8's or more. One that cools much faster or perhaps it's the fueling. Surprised your tuner didn't do a semi-full run or two and inspect the plugs for hot and cool fouling. I wonder if they even had an awareness of the Lambda levels???

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Well the motor goes under the knife in a couple of weeks. Going to have someone open it up and repair as needed. Once up and running I will move to a new type of injector and new tune. Another owner with the same setup did this and was able to get 460whp on 93 octane, no water meth. It will be a while before next posts but there will be some and the car will become street legal again.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Tried and True is a fine path to follow. Will be looking out for the updates. 🧐

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Well the motor goes under the knife in a couple of weeks. Going to have someone open it up and repair as needed. Once up and running I will move to a new type of injector and new tune. Another owner with the same setup did this and was able to get 460whp on 93 octane, no water meth. It will be a while before next posts but there will be some and the car will become street legal again.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Thinking here about your next plug choice...what will it be? Obviously, the PFR7B were not cooling fast enough...or did you rule out correct ignition timing or the lean/rich mixture before you tracked it to rule out heat range?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Well it had been professionally dyno tuned and road tested before I picked the car up. I had every reason to believe I had received what I paid for.
If I re-do this I will go E85 and not use Methanol for fueling, just cooling. However, I have grown tired trying to find someone that would actually rebuild the motor for me (latest one fell through). I may just try and sell the beast as is and let someone else have a go at it. If no takers I am leaning heavily toward a full part-out and the car has a boat load of parts with less than 200 miles on them.

Then I think I will take my money and move back to domestic V8 again. I had a tricked out 04 GTO with 600whp, I think I will just go get a nice 2008 C6 Z06 and hit the track.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I feel that...but just in case; I talked with Collin at TT, they were once in Riverside...now twenty minutes from my home, and he gave me his best references for you to try.

1) dynamic racing solutions 562-694-2226
2) euro sport anaheim 714-630-5155, ask for Raffi
3) Four Seasons Tuning 714-997-5842, ask for James. His builder is not looking to be available and his referral is Engine Supply below. But he has parts. I spoke with James for a bit. He has been doing a few EFR E85 builds. He would be good to talk to...he's just in a spot with losing his builder, maybe, and doesn't want to take on a build right now. This is why he referred Engine Supply...as it is who he uses at the moment.
4) Mike at Engine Supply 714-556-0310. Tell Mike; James said to quote for the same as VW inline 5 cyl builds he's done, minus one cylinder. LOL

Collin said Dynamic or Four Seasons' builder, so Engine Supply, would be the best two.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I feel that...but just in case; I talked with Collin at TT, they were once in Riverside...now twenty minutes from my home, and he gave me his best references for you to try.

1) dynamic racing solutions 562-694-2226
2) euro sport anaheim 714-630-5155, ask for Raffi
3) Four Seasons Tuning 714-997-5842, ask for James. His builder is not looking to be available and his referral is Engine Supply below. But he has parts. I spoke with James for a bit. He has been doing a few EFR E85 builds. He would be good to talk to...he's just in a spot with losing his builder, maybe, and doesn't want to take on a build right now. This is why he referred Engine Supply...as it is who he uses at the moment.
4) Mike at Engine Supply 714-556-0310. Tell Mike; James said to quote for the same as VW inline 5 cyl builds he's done, minus one cylinder. LOL

Collin said Dynamic or Four Seasons' builder, so Engine Supply, would be the best two.
Thanks buddy, I will follow up with Mike and see what he says. I had already checked in with Four Seasons and was hoping they could do it for me but they turned me down (few months back). Four Seasons is a United Motorsport dealer and UM has had direct experience tuning my particular setup so I will take them to tuning if I do put this thing back on the road. I have been in touch with an owner of same setup back East and United has been able to get him to high 400's on just 93 using some new larger injectors that have come available through Mabotech.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Thanks buddy, I will follow up with Mike and see what he says. I had already checked in with Four Seasons and was hoping they could do it for me but they turned me down (few months back). Four Seasons is a United Motorsport dealer and UM has had direct experience tuning my particular setup so I will take them to tuning if I do put this thing back on the road. I have been in touch with an owner of same setup back East and United has been able to get him to high 400's on just 93 using some new larger injectors that have come available through Mabotech.
Right, James, 4 seasons, said he's been very busy and now his engine builder hasn't been showing up to work. Also, with UM and right injectors...you should be happy with the results. Hopefully Mike at engine supply can get you put together and James can get the rest done using UM to tune it to the fuel you want. James said Mike does very nice engine work.