GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My second build on my 08 GTI

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I am starting to think I need to have the timing belt and chain checked.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Update and findings

Ok, cleared my head and got out flashlight and mirrors to look for obvious issues and I found a couple of big ones.

#1 Hose from DV back into intake, not connected and looked as though it never had been (no clamp marks)

#2 The hose with the checkvalve is thin flexible metal. They used that and two other pieces of rubber tubing to make the two 90 degree bends to connect to the intake. They cut it short, looks like forced the pieces together and overtightened the hose clamp to hold it into place bending the pipe inward and creating yet another path for unmetered air.

Have a little work being done on house but will fix today and see how she runs. i suspect it will be much better.

https://youtu.be/S_jbduMfT6Y

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
update

Well I fixed the 2 pre-turbo air leaks and it did remedy some or most of the issues. It now cold starts and idles, though still rougher than I would have expected. I can now drive the car under 3500 rpm and did so for a while today to see if it would hold temp, idle etc. It did. Still think there is room for improvement in the under 3500 rpm area and the over 3500rpm area is much easier to get to and runs even better but have not really run through the gears yet with the car.

So I got out of the car after the 20 min drive and notice that the drivers seat is not properly bolted down, they had the seat out to remove an amplifier.

I looked under my car, no skid pan, had just put a new one on. Bolt loose on spherical joint for tubular arms and it was of course twisted.

Car low on oil, 20lbs of air in tires.

It does drive better but boy he said he was going to look the car over to make sure everything was as it should be and have a detailer out. None of that happened.

[/bitching off]

The car does drive much better, drove it again, it is indeed drivable and I suspect crazy fast as I have only been able to give it a few short bursts in the mid range.

Last edited:

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco
I would suggest going to this shit workshop and spend one or two full days with them doing the full inspection and checks for all parts you asked them to install and to check and test all mechanical parts.
Also, to evaluate the tuning they did and keep doing fine tuning with them while you are there.
It’s serious my friend, you spent TOO much money and I wouldn’t accept such shit after all that money and time spent.

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
I would suggest going to this shit workshop and spend one or two full days with them doing the full inspection and checks for all parts you asked them to install and to check and test all mechanical parts.
Also, to evaluate the tuning they did and keep doing fine tuning with them while you are there.
It’s serious my friend, you spent TOO much money and I wouldn’t accept such shit after all that money and time spent.

I agree.

It's one thing to chase small issues here and there, but with multiple problems (and who knows how many more there are?), this is not acceptable.

If the shop is honest and take pride in their work, the least they could do is to have another look at all the issues.

Make sure you take photos to document all the concerns so far so that there is no doubt.

There could be some serious safety concerns, especially with the type of power and speeds this car could hit.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Yes, I will be having a followup session with them.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I am happy to report that I took the car out today for a short run, where I could drive the car a bit.

It is running MUCH better now. It idles and runs as you expect now.

I got to lay into the car once in 3rd gear at about 45 miles per hour and it roasted the Pilot Sport Cup 2's so I pushed it to 4th and the acceleration is quite violent. Car is very quick and ran quite nicely.

https://youtu.be/MydhPVP19sk

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
How do you like your reacaros? I’ve been looking into picking up a set of pole positions

Only driven 20 miles in them but they are very comfortable and hold you in as good as a 2 piece adjustable back seat can.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
First impression - Brembos

My first impression of the Brembo brake system is that it almost went unnoticed. That was a good thing. I noticed no difference in pedal travel vs stock. They do of course have a lot more stopping power than stock but very easy to modulate with the street pads in (HPS 5.0 f/r)

I am very happy with the setup and can hardly wait to drop the GLOC pads in and see what happens at the track.

Going with the RS3 master cylinder was the right choice. I had read many posts about increased pedal travel using stock master cylinder.

Brembo 18z front and rear with Wilwood parking caliper.
Fabless rear mounting kit - no longer available unfortunately

Last edited:

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
My first impression of the Brembo brake system is that it almost went unnoticed. That was a good thing. I noticed no difference in pedal travel vs stock. They do of course have a lot more stopping power than stock but very easy to modulate with the street pads in (HPS 5.0 f/r)

I am very happy with the setup and can hardly wait to drop the GLOC pads in and see what happens at the track.

Going with the RS3 master cylinder was the right choice. I had read many posts about increased pedal travel using stock master cylinder.

Glad that the car seems to be driving well now. How is low end torque under 3,000 RPM compared to a K04?

Will you go with wider tires?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Glad that the car seems to be driving well now. How is low end torque under 3,000 RPM compared to a K04?

Will you go with wider tires?

K04 to me is such a sweet turbo for these cars when you want a boost and it is a daily driver and you want smooth OEM like driving with a super wide power band.

This car has had so many changes that it is a difficult comparison from a driver point of view. The balance shaft has been removed, it has almost solid motor and trans mounts, much stiffer suspension , most bushings replaced with spherical bearings. a little firmer Recaros seats and about 150 more whp. This thing is loud, rough and the power is more on the violent side after 3500 rpm. Under 3500rpm it surprisingly has sufficient power to tool around town with light throttle input just like a K04 but all the changes to the car keep it from being the same smooth oem experience.

Wider tires was the plan originally. Will take it to track and see how it does with just Sport Cup 2's.

Last edited:

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
How do you like your reacaros? I’ve been looking into picking up a set of pole positions

I love those seats, one of my favorites. I have an old one I was gonna put in the 944, but I ended up with a sparco that had brackets already. Eventually I'll put it as my passenger seat instead of the Corbeau that's in there now.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs

Oh so we are using the same brake set up - I’m using that on my mk6. I keep adjusting my parking brake to make it less squeaky [emoji849] also counter sunk the bolts and painted the calipers themselves red to match oem. And painted the brackets since they came bare metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Oh so we are using the same brake set up - I’m using that on my mk6. I keep adjusting my parking brake to make it less squeaky [emoji849] also counter sunk the bolts and painted the calipers themselves red to match oem. And painted the brackets since they came bare metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far parking brake is not squeaky and it is also not very effective.

Love the brakes though.

Last edited: