GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

My second build on my 08 GTI

ChrisAttebery

Ready to race!
Ride
2011 GTU
Thanks for the pep talk, I will get over it. It has taken 2 years and it was one problem after another that really should have taken 6-7 months.
No problem. We all need a kick in the @$$ at some point. ;^)

Jeez, you built a rocket the went 2600 miles per hour!!!!! Did it ever come down? Ha
Yes it did. In lots of small parts. I found most of them. :frown:

I am ordering a GoPro and Mic and working on a video setup for the car this week so I will have some videos soon.
There you go. Get er done. I mounted my camera over my shoulder. That's a great spot. You can see the track and your hands. I'm running the stock exhaust and in my first video you can't hear anything but wind noise over 50 mph or so. I bought a cheap lapel mic off amazon and taped it onto the bumper above the exhaust. That setup is much better IMHO.

Good luck!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
No problem. We all need a kick in the @$$ at some point. ;^)

Yes it did. In lots of small parts. I found most of them. :frown:

There you go. Get er done. I mounted my camera over my shoulder. That's a great spot. You can see the track and your hands. I'm running the stock exhaust and in my first video you can't hear anything but wind noise over 50 mph or so. I bought a cheap lapel mic off amazon and taped it onto the bumper above the exhaust. That setup is much better IMHO.

Good luck!
Yes, placing the external mic on lower back of car with a wind sock gets rid of almost all the wind noise. Going to use an Audio Technica powered mic. Sound should come out great. Only problem might be the exhaust was not replaced (42DD) and is 4 years old so most of the ability to muffle the sound is gone. I am going to be putting a Bates quiet muffler to bring the sound waaay down.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic

Car still looks good. After sitting for so long and getting so old the headliner has come down and door side card fabric also coming unglued. Taking it next week for new headliner and get the doors inserts fixed.

They took out my rear seat delete kit to put the 4 point harnesses in, so I will have to modify it, so I can reinstall it.

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Ride
2006 GTI
Car still looks good. After sitting for so long and getting so old the headliner has come down and door side card fabric also coming unglued. Taking it next week for new headliner and get the doors inserts fixed.

They took out my rear seat delete kit to put the 4 point harnesses in, so I will have to modify it, so I can reinstall it.
What kind of fabric are you going to use? Mine is having the same issue from sitting and needs re-done

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
What kind of fabric are you going to use? Mine is having the same issue from sitting and needs re-done
I am taking in a swatch of the oem fabric (just cut some from existing) and they will match. I will get specifics and share. I am just going for OEM look mostly.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Putting together simple single camera video system.

GoPro Hero 5 with clear case - 119
GoPro Suction mount- 39
GoPro ext mic adapter with USB-c port - 59
EMT-001 mic, 16ft ext, windsock - 85

So for 302.00 should get a good sounding decent 4k vid. May add overlay with all the telemetry later on and maybe a second camera.

Make that 325.00, need to order fast 64gig chip.

Last edited:

tofuD01

Ready to race!
Ride
VW Golf Mk6 GTi DSG
Hello,

Do you recommend turbos from turbozentrum?

I noticed they sell k04 for the Mk6 tsi engine and it's much cheaper compared to all the others such as Apr etc.

But I've never heard of this brand so want your experience on it.

Many thanks

Ps. Nice build btw, be a shame if you do decide to sell it after all that blood sweat and tears.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Hello,

I noticed they sell k04 for the Mk6 tsi engine and it's much cheaper compared to all the others such as Apr etc.

Many thanks

Ps. Nice build btw, be a shame if you do decide to sell it after all that blood sweat and tears.
Recommend Turbozentrum - yes - based on the product I have received and how responsive their support has been for me. Having said that, I see almost zero on internet about the company and VW cars and my experience is of course limited.

APR prices are typically higher than most.

Oh I am getting over the bit of project fatigue and getting back to it. The project was built for track day use (road course). I still have to get this to the track before I can feel that I accomplished my goal so I am still at it.

Take care and good luck with your project. If the K04 is the 0064 Euro made (vs Chinese) no reason why you wouldn't want to buy it from them. The tag on the turbo would look like this and you can see the number that starts with K04 also ends with 064.

tofuD01

Ready to race!
Ride
VW Golf Mk6 GTi DSG
Recommend Turbozentrum - yes - based on the product I have received and how responsive their support has been for me. Having said that, I see almost zero on internet about the company and VW cars and my experience is of course limited.

APR prices are typically higher than most.

Oh I am getting over the bit of project fatigue and getting back to it. The project was built for track day use (road course). I still have to get this to the track before I can feel that I accomplished my goal so I am still at it.

Take care and good luck with your project. If the K04 is the 0064 Euro made (vs Chinese) no reason why you wouldn't want to buy it from them. The tag on the turbo would look like this and you can see the number that starts with K04 also ends with 064.

Ohhh definitely can't sell if you've yet to take it on the track!

This is their k04 so it should be legit then:.

https://turbozentrum.co.uk/K04-064-Upgrade-Kit-for-18-20-TSI-transverse-Engines

I don't see anything about them so that why I searched a bit and found you using one of their turbos.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Ohhh definitely can't sell if you've yet to take it on the track!

This is their k04 so it should be legit then:.

https://turbozentrum.co.uk/K04-064-Upgrade-Kit-for-18-20-TSI-transverse-Engines

I don't see anything about them so that why I searched a bit and found you using one of their turbos.
Looks like the right stuff. I ran K04 for about 4 years, it is soooo nice, you will love it and the power gains are transformative. You will drive it and wonder why it didn't come this way from the factory.

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Ride
VW Golf
Hello,

Many thanks

Sorry for replying in GIACUser thread, but I checked the TurboZentrum K04 one and I think it’s cheaper because it’s the same one for TFSI and they just modified the piping and they kept the DV location closed at it is in the OEM while the APR & Revo for example modifying it to allow the DV to located in the same K03 turbos.
In this case you will need to buy the Throttle Pipe with DV location to install the DV.
I believe it’s a good price and much cheaper than other companies with more or less the same power.

tofuD01

Ready to race!
Ride
VW Golf Mk6 GTi DSG
Sorry for replying in GIACUser thread, but I checked the TurboZentrum K04 one and I think it’s cheaper because it’s the same one for TFSI and they just modified the piping and they kept the DV location closed at it is in the OEM while the APR & Revo for example modifying it to allow the DV to located in the same K03 turbos.
In this case you will need to buy the Throttle Pipe with DV location to install the DV.
I believe it’s a good price and much cheaper than other companies with more or less the same power.
Thanks for the heads up, they did mention to let them know as need the extra kit to fit to TSI engine.

Will be something on the cards for next year.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
One step closer to first track day. I needed a truck to tow with and picked one up today. 2009 Ford XL F-150. Picked it up for 9500.00. Has full tow package and in the last 4500 miles it got a new motor, new brakes, new tires and front end rebuild. Drives beautifully just drove it home on fwy (50 miles) and drove great, stopped great, rolled straight etc.

I just need to secure a trailer and I will try and get to track and shoot 1st video review Nov 9th or 10th.