GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

my radio has a mind of its own!

whiterabbit

Touring Car Champion
anyone else with this issue? my radio turns it self down all the time. it is driving me crazy! :mad:

Tricky

Autocross Newbie
Speed control is not it completely. All the OEM stereos have a "feature" that lowers the volume automaticly "to not blow the speakers". The main problem is the head unit does not have a built in amp so it will only push it so far. Highest I can go on volume is 15, 16 or higher I notice the automatic lowering of my volume even tho I have the speed thing shut off. I hear the speakers are awesome if you replace the head unit with an aftermarket, but I'm torn between that and steering wheel controls. Losing those would suck. :iono:

jesterjay

Drag Racing Champion
I apologize for the confusion I may have created. I was aware of the problem most people were having...by not realizing they needed to shut off the speed control. The radios seem to also have a problem at higher volumes even with it off. I never listen to my radio above 10, so I never noticed the problem again after I adjusted the bass/treble levels. I agree that losing the steering controls would defeat half the reason for getting package #2. I see that replacing the h/u is the only way to fix this. Has anyone wondered if replacing the radio with a Jetta or Passat h/u with SAT would fix this? Is the GTI unit different? I noticed that the section for the radio in my GTI book says Passat....does the Passat and GTI share the same h/u? Meaning do Passat owners have this problem? I have only heard bad reviews from GTI owners only.....FYI I work at a dealership, so that's why I ask. None of my Jetta and Passat customers have made mention of this issue...only my GTI customers.

Acoustic81

In-Tune
Tricky said:
Speed control is not it completely. All the OEM stereos have a "feature" that lowers the volume automaticly "to not blow the speakers". The main problem is the head unit does not have a built in amp so it will only push it so far. Highest I can go on volume is 15, 16 or higher I notice the automatic lowering of my volume even tho I have the speed thing shut off. I hear the speakers are awesome if you replace the head unit with an aftermarket, but I'm torn between that and steering wheel controls. Losing those would suck. :iono:
Not sure how well they work, but some headunits have connections for steering wheel controls.

MKV6SPD

Oval Champion
No the passat does not have the same headunit.Well atleast mine dont.The passat radio never lowers like the gti does.You can crank it up to whatever you want in the passat with no problem.The lowering of the volume sucks so bad.I think i will have to hit up circuit city one day and get the pioneer 7 inch with navi unit.Thing is hot for only 1600 installed.And it is not the screen that hides,comes out,and flips up

whiterabbit

Touring Car Champion
I like my stock radio, I hate the look of the aftermarket units I have seem so far