GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My Pirelli GTI Build Thread

redback

ftmfw
INTRODUCTION
This will be my build thread which i have on a local forum but letting you guys see my progress. I own a 2009 VW Golf GTI Pirelli Edition in Black Magic Pearl.
Came factory fitted with
- RNS510 unit,
- Rear parking sensors, and
- K04 turbo
The GTI was my choice of car after getting a taste of driving my cousins Jetta TFSI with the same engine. The turbo rush and torque took me away so i was set on one. I then found out that VW was releasing the Pirelli variant which would be a limited edition model and only 400-500 available. The seats kind of turned me off but once i sat in them, they were very supportive and moreso then the regular GTI's. Another aspect was the already colour coded kit which would have saved me later on down the track if i decided on the normal GTI. But the biggest plus was the K04 turbo (also found in the Audi S3 and TTS) which after doing much research, had alot more potential and since i was looking into modifying it, this was the perfect choice.

This is my beast stock:

redback

ftmfw
- Modification #1
Arqray catback (street line of Fujitsubo).

I LOVE how the muffler just sticks out from the bottom! but may become an issue later on once it gets a drop =/

Very high quality. In regards to sound, it is similar to stock but has more bass. Hoping a downpipe will give it more character. No real gains in performance as far as I could feel which is expected from catbacks since they are just for ‘noise’, but a US dealer posted a dyno showing a 10hp gain.

redback

ftmfw

- Modification #2
GIAC Tune

The Pirelli was fun to drive stock but with the tune, it just takes it up that extra level! More power and torque! By far the most worthwhile bang-for-your-buck upgrade. This tune has actually made me very excited to drive the car. I kinda had to adapt the way i drove because i have a heavy foot and when i floor it now, it would be harder to get traction and lead to wheelspin or axle tramp due to the big increase in power. I have to admit thou when i test drove it right after tune was freshly put in, it didn't really WOW me, maybe because everyone on the forums hyped a tune up that much but i guess it just took time for the ECU to adapt before i noticed how peaky the car really is with the flash.

redback

ftmfw
- Modification #3
GruppeM Intake

I decided to go with this intake because of GruppeM’s high reputation in the intake market and plus how awesome they look! I also bought open fog grills and an intake hose to channel some extra air into the filter. Its not an intake that attracts attention which is what I was aiming for. You could only really hear it with the windows up and the music off, and even then, the sucking of the air and slight "pssshhh" was very faint. So far very happy with it.

redback

ftmfw
First Dyno
I went to the dyno set up for VW’s and Audi’s last year and achieved 167.9kw atw which I wasn't that impressed with. From all the tuners claims, just the tune would bring the power to 230kw, so implementing a 15% drivetrain loss, it would be around the 190kwatw figures. But everyone told me not to believe what they claim and its all marketing, and after looking at what others achieved, i was content.

redback

ftmfw
- Modification #4
BFI Torque Arm Insert

This was a small mod that was recommended by my mechanic. But once installed, I was quite impressed with the difference. Although there was an increase in NVH, it resulted in quicker and smoother shifting. I also installed it because many have claimed it reduces axle tramp, so decided to try it out in launch control mode and the claims were correct, but it did wheel spin freely. If launched at a high rpm then it would tramp but i keep it within 2000-2500rpms which i also researched was the best for a good launch.

redback

ftmfw
Second Dyno
I was invited to have a free run at the K04 dyno day with a group of S3’s, TTS’s and Pirelli’s to run logs and data tests. To my surprise, I achieved higher then the last dyno day and got 170.8kw atw which was also surprising since that day hit 42 degrees! Tony gave me a drive in his K04 converted GTI with a custom GIAC extreme tune and that had me set on the performance route i was aiming for.

ssunnylee24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 CW DSG GTI
Not really, I JUST got a text from my from at a shop getting his K04 dyno'd on Dyno Dynamics., he said he got 234hp 280tq.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
That's one crazy looking torque curve

redback

ftmfw
thanks guys, its strange because when i look at your dyno graphs they all read very high figures yet mine would be high compared to others here. This result was just the k04, catback and intake btw, no fuel pump or downpipe, etc. The best result achieved at the k04 dyno day was a k04 converted GTI with GIAC extreme tune which achieved 200.4kwatw which was followed by a k04 converted A3 also with the GIAC extreme tune reaching 196.4kwatw then a k04 GTI with APR running on racing fuel.

The torque curve is WACK because it hits the torque limiter, dips then goes back up. Still waiting on GIAC to crack the parameters of the revised DSG gear boxes from the later 08 to 09 models so that it will be more linear.

i'll keep the updates coming!

BamaKID

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI MkV
thanks guys, its strange because when i look at your dyno graphs they all read very high figures yet mine would be high compared to others here. This result was just the k04, catback and intake btw, no fuel pump or downpipe, etc. The best result achieved at the k04 dyno day was a k04 converted GTI with GIAC extreme tune which achieved 200.4kwatw which was followed by a k04 converted A3 also with the GIAC extreme tune reaching 196.4kwatw then a k04 GTI with APR running on racing fuel.

The torque curve is WACK because it hits the torque limiter, dips then goes back up. Still waiting on GIAC to crack the parameters of the revised DSG gear boxes from the later 08 to 09 models so that it will be more linear.

i'll keep the updates coming!

SUBSCRIBED
Keep SOWO on your mind!! :thumbsup:

redback

ftmfw