GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My new GTI and APR ECU Review

MKV

Passed Driver's Ed
cmcm said:
just got my gti "tuned" today, i have 2 programs - stock and chipped (93 oct), i also got the security code to avoid dealer to test my cruise set ctrl, that was $59 extra.
Everything goes pretty smooth, and definitely felt the difference, especially from 2nd to 3rd.

well that answers my question on getting the upgrade...i was worried that the dealer would be able to find it. thanks!

cmcm

Drag Racing Champion
u're welcome MKV, read the instructions of how to use the flip switch while you're waiting on the tuning, bit confusing but will help after the techician teaches you how to use, good luck!!!

Brandon

Oval Newbie
Thanks for that review man. Definitely need to consider chipping mine when it arrives.

Lellobeetle

Go Kart Newbie
I had APR stock, 91, 93 and 100 octane programs along with security lock-out and anti-theft on my 20th anniversary edition gti. I traded that for my MkV gti and I'm waiting until I have 600 miles on the clock (almost there) before I head over to my APR dealer. I barely had 600 on my 20th in 2003 when I visited the APR booth at Waterfest (was living in NJ then) and I was one of the first Direct-Port Programming (DPP) customers.

The thing I'm a bit concerned about is torque steer. I had a fair bit on the 20AE with APR, and the new programming has 300+ lb-ft of torque on the 93 octane program.

Putting that much power through FWD is not the same as putting it through a RWD platform.

Can you speak to any squirrliness you may have experienced after your DPP?

McPsycho

Rally Car Champion
would it be a bad idea to do the ecu upgrade as soon as you get the car? im hoping to chip it as soon as i leave the dealership since the apr dealer isnt too far from there.

99swift99

Go Kart Champion
McPsycho V said:
would it be a bad idea to do the ecu upgrade as soon as you get the car? im hoping to chip it as soon as i leave the dealership since the apr dealer isnt too far from there.

I don't think it would be bad, as long as you stick to break-in procedures (or not, if you weren't going to anyway). I've heard of people doing it as soon as they got their cars too. Luck you! :biggrin:

GTI-in-progress

Passed Driver's Ed
Lellobeetle said:
The thing I'm a bit concerned about is torque steer. I had a fair bit on the 20AE with APR, and the new programming has 300+ lb-ft of torque on the 93 octane program.

Putting that much power through FWD is not the same as putting it through a RWD platform.

Can you speak to any squirrliness you may have experienced after your DPP?

A very valid concern. I have noticed that flat-out in first gear things are a little squirrley. It subsides in 2nd and is gone in 3rd. The sensation that I feel is that the rear of the car is pulling left. It's completely controllable, but is something that I never felt in my RWD cars, which had substantially more torque. I was actually not familiar with the term torque steer until you mentioned it, but that is certainly what I experience when pushing the car in 91 mode.

I will say that while present, the torque steer has not been so substantial that it impacts my driving experience.

peruski

Passed Driver's Ed
AuForm said:
Au contraire mon ami:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

You should push your engine as hard as you can during the first few miles. It's probably too late already.

Not exactly *as hard as you can*...check out the link below, it pertains to breaking in a TURBO engine...

http://flyinmiata.com/tech/breakin.php

these guys aren't exactly dealing with VW's I know, but engines are engines...
I have personally spoke to Bill Cardell on the phone several of times, he knows his stuff....when the 5 door hits the showroom I am going to pick one up...and head directly for the freeway!

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
I have a question add on about the APR Ecu upgrade for the GTI, is that, how does the ECU upgrade effect the gas mileage overall on the car? just curious...

GTI-in-progress

Passed Driver's Ed
It's a little hard to tell because I tend to drive it a lot harder, but under regular conditions, the rumor is that the fuel efficiency may even be a tiny bit better. As mentioned in my earlier post, having come from the BMW V8 at 16mpg, I'm thrilled with the 25+mpg that I seem to be getting.

LivEToDrivE

Car(s)
GTI
Yea my old Prelude used to get like 240 miles to a tank which was terrible, so I'm just making sure if I chip my GTI I wont end up with the same result, I want to keep it up to atleast 350 miles to a tank if I drive it moderately paced, sometimes hard, most of the time not...ya know? any more info would be appreciated

GTI-in-progress

Passed Driver's Ed
Alright - so I reset the fuel consumption gauge at the beginning of the day and took it pretty easy through the day. Driving on the freeway and in town - a healthy mix of both, I came in just shy of 30mpg. I think if you have a mix of regular and peformance driving you can hit 25mpg pretty comfortably. Just based on one day, though.

blackmkv

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
VW GTI
:clap: good job on posting break in prcedures. very interesteing articles

LivEToDrivE

Car(s)
GTI
That sounds perfect...as long as you averaging better than that 23 MPG city...then its straight. I mean my GTI is mostly commuting to school and back but obviously a red light, is a red light..so thanks for getting back to me on that