GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My MKV GTI out at the track

dmfracer

Ready to race!
The way I plan to do the LSD install in my car is buy a 2nd transmission, go through it (bearings, blocker rings, synchros, etc), put the LSD in it and then all I have to do is swap it in and take the original out. I'll do a clutch at the same time.

Then, I'll sell the original trans - maybe add an LSD to it first to make it easier to sell.

joesmkv

Passed Driver's Ed
The way I plan to do the LSD install in my car is buy a 2nd transmission, go through it (bearings, blocker rings, synchros, etc), put the LSD in it and then all I have to do is swap it in and take the original out. I'll do a clutch at the same time.

Then, I'll sell the original trans - maybe add an LSD to it first to make it easier to sell.

I plan to do exactly the same, when the time comes, I hope to have it ready!

joesmkv

Passed Driver's Ed
From what I understand the founders of Carbotech sold and founded g.skil as their new company. Slightly different pad compounds etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have any additional info on this g.skil? I cannot find anything about them.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
Excellent to see other people tracking their GTI's. I've been running carbotech pads for a few seasons and have had very good success with them. I will likely continue running them until I have a reason to try something else.

If you actually like the carbotech, then supporting the original guys is reason enough to switch.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
They're actually G-loc brakes now (original guys form carbotech), guys are local to me, and we run their pads in our racecar. :thumbsup:

http://www.g-locbrakes.com/

Ah thanks man. I got a quote from a semi local dealer a few months ago for g-loc 17z pads and they are about the same as carbotech which I'm currently running. Forgot the proper company name because I just went through him for parts quotes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
I'm not familar with the company background, was there some drama or something? Fill me in

Not entirely sure all the details, but the guys who did all the pad compounds, and started it had some disagreements with the rest of carbotech (from what I've heard, not entirely sure how accurate), and went off and did their own thing. They've come through in times of need for us. Went in to the office Friday night after hours to make us a set of brake pads to pickup on Saturday because we ran out of pad at Road Atlanta. Danny is a good dude. :headbang:

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Not entirely sure all the details, but the guys who did all the pad compounds, and started it had some disagreements with the rest of carbotech (from what I've heard, not entirely sure how accurate), and went off and did their own thing. They've come through in times of need for us. Went in to the office Friday night after hours to make us a set of brake pads to pickup on Saturday because we ran out of pad at Road Atlanta. Danny is a good dude. :headbang:

It's companies like this that will get my business. I love enthusiast owned companies that actually care about their customers and don't just see dollar signs with legs.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
It's companies like this that will get my business. I love enthusiast owned companies that actually care about their customers and don't just see dollar signs with legs.

We did have to drive all the way back to Charlotte from Road Atlanta, but better than not racing. Also, we do normally have spares, but our spares were another brand and it turns out they mispackaged a set so our spares were wrong for our calipers. :mad:

joesmkv

Passed Driver's Ed
Carbotech has been good to me. Although I did not plan well enough ahead to have another set ready to go in for this weekend at Buttonwillow. Will have to make do with alternative pads for the weekend.

joesmkv

Passed Driver's Ed
What iteration of carbotech pads you guys using? I'm using xp10 with a stoptech st40 bbk in front, and xp8 on oem calipers for the rear.

How many track days you guys getting from them?

Jay, I'm running the xp10 up front with a 17z BBK, and pairing them with the stoptech pads in the rear with OEM calipers. Love the initial bite, and that I can drive to and from on this set up.

I just ran through my xp10 pads in about 5 track events. This does include driving to and from the track on the pads as well.

Last edited:

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
We were running XP24 and got one and a half events out of them, switched to XP20's and now we're getting about 3 events.