GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My family thinks Im crazy....

clutch fool

OG MUFF DIVER
Car(s)
MK5 GTI 1st Owner
because i want to sell the GTI and buy a sailboat to live on. i could get a decent 30ft and live on it for about 7-8 months out of the year up here in jersey for about $3,000 instead of $1,000 per month for rent to be stuck in a shitty apartment. it will be small but ill be able to save a lot more than pissing money away renting. i figure i could rent a room somewhere for cheap during the winter months or when i become a good enough sailor, i can go visit my brother down in miami for a few months and have a place to stay when i get there right on the boat. theres a marina near me that is live-a-board friendly and has a nice view of NYC and beaches close by, showers, electric, water, even cable for the boat. i dont want to be stuck in a lease for 12 months and work just to pay my rent. theres still money to be made here in the tri-state but cost of living is just too much so i figure this could help me take in a decent living and not have to give it all to a landlord. what do you guys think?

robthorpe

Licence Plate: SK8RDIE
You're crazy!

Just kidding. Do what you gotta do homie, it's you're life and it sounds like you've given it some thought already...just do me a favor and come up with a plan to keep the fast and get a boat. I'm on a boat and, I'm goin fast and, I got a nautical themed GTI!

argue53

Go Kart Champion
well sounds like you have a plan and a good idea on how to tackle it on, but its esier said than done. Surely its accomplishable but i dont think it'll be all that easy unless you are completely dedicated to this lifestyle. nonetheless, sounds like a smart investment as long as its solid

clutch fool

OG MUFF DIVER
Car(s)
MK5 GTI 1st Owner
yea, this is just an idea at this point. prolly the worst time to boat hunt since the season just began but if i planned it out for next year i think i can make it work. i have no g/f or kids or anything so it would just be me roughing it. i like the idea of not being stuck in one place and being able to travel when ever i felt like it. but i do know that there is a lot of maintenance costs that comes a long with boat owning but im hopping that it will be considerably less than nj rent costs. as for keeping the GTI AND getting a sailboat im guessing thats prolly out of the question for me unless i happen to win the lotto or something but an older vw would not be out of the question. i really wanna have as little bills as possible and few obligations so i can save for a house for the future. i dont know, maybe im dreaming but seems doable to me.

Horus USAF

shhh Im thinkin......
Car(s)
06 GTI
Sounds like a pretty solid plan. I would just make sure that you save up enough to cover any surprise cost because that would be the only real killer. boat+bike=great life

utekineir

Banned
Sell the car, put it as downpayment on old tripple decker building, live on one flor, rent other two, learn to fix shit, profit.

Around here old tripple deckers were dirt cheap after the housing market shit the bed.

Callsign_Jester

traction is for pussies
Sell the car, put it as downpayment on old tripple decker building, live on one flor, rent other two, learn to fix shit, profit.

Around here old tripple deckers were dirt cheap after the housing market shit the bed.

This x's infinity.

Several of my friends do the same thing as well as flip houses on the side. Honestly your best bet is to rent to "decent" section 8 people for secured income as well. They don't live in these houses as they have their own, but they mortgages, utilities on them pay for them self with renters not to mention the extra they get on top to pocket.

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
This x's infinity.

Several of my friends do the same thing as well as flip houses on the side. Honestly your best bet is to rent to "decent" section 8 people for secured income as well. They don't live in these houses as they have their own, but they mortgages, utilities on them pay for them self with renters not to mention the extra they get on top to pocket.

This is super popular in the downtown area of my hometown of Grand Rapids MI.

My buddy has a house that he bought that was already split into three separate apartments. He lives in one and the rent from the other two pays the mortgage = he lives for free.

clutch fool

OG MUFF DIVER
Car(s)
MK5 GTI 1st Owner
that is what my father told me to do back in 06 when i paid in full and bought the car new, but i had to be an idiot and had to have a new loaded GTI, which i still love to this day but could have done without. unfortunately we have to live and learn. i am no longer in a position to buy a multi-fam house. i might get 15k for my car but dont have a stable work/income history to prove id be able to afford the house. im also not good with fixing things so id have to have a handy man when things break. seems like an idea not feasible at this time for me otherwise a great idea i would highly suggest to any young person thinking about buying. i tried convincing my brother to get a two fam with me and share it with him and rent half until it was paid off but that didnt pan out. now im thinking of becoming a boat bum. plus you cant sail a section 8 house to the Bahamas if you felt like it.

VDUBMkV///C

Intergalactic smugness
Car(s)
CW MkV
make sure you don't get sea sick before buying the boat lol.

clutch fool

OG MUFF DIVER
Car(s)
MK5 GTI 1st Owner
i have grown up on the water my whole life and always have had a motorboat and love cruises so im not worried about the rocking or being seasick. just trying to figure out a way to be free of rent but still have a place to live and still enjoy life. btw, sailing can be a lot of fun, i just have never lived on a boat so becoming claustrophobic is my main concern along with costs.

utekineir

Banned
that is what my father told me to do back in 06 when i paid in full and bought the car new, but i had to be an idiot and had to have a new loaded GTI, which i still love to this day but could have done without. unfortunately we have to live and learn. i am no longer in a position to buy a multi-fam house. i might get 15k for my car but dont have a stable work/income history to prove id be able to afford the house. im also not good with fixing things so id have to have a handy man when things break. seems like an idea not feasible at this time for me otherwise a great idea i would highly suggest to any young person thinking about buying. i tried convincing my brother to get a two fam with me and share it with him and rent half until it was paid off but that didnt pan out. now im thinking of becoming a boat bum. plus you cant sail a section 8 house to the Bahamas if you felt like it.

any chance of a cosigner?

You can learn to fix stuff, shit I have liberal arts degrees and I run and maintain 5 buildings. Quit an office job in Boston and moved back to bumfuck to take over folks places since they're 60ish now. Learning everything as I go, just tell tenants you know what you're doing and jump into it. Did recently take night classes for gas and oil heat though.