GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My 4 years in, time for a build thread

OVRWRKD

Ready to race!
Haven't updated in a while, been doing some body soldering, wanted to try the technique:

Really want to weld the removable rain tray piece in, but can't figure out a way to get the windshield wiper motor out should it go bad...have to think about that one

Also picked up some of my polished stuff today:

OVRWRKD

Ready to race!
Made more progress over the past two days. After playing with the wiper motor for a bit, I figured out what needed to be done to get it in and out with the rain tray in place. drilled about 20 holes and spot welded it in place, then ran a bead across the edge, smoothed and lead filled:

All the lead work is done, panels all welded in, time to start smoothing it out:

CharlieMKV

Go Kart Champion
Made more progress over the past two days. After playing with the wiper motor for a bit, I figured out what needed to be done to get it in and out with the rain tray in place. drilled about 20 holes and spot welded it in place, then ran a bead across the edge, smoothed and lead filled:

All the lead work is done, panels all welded in, time to start smoothing it out:

Looks like a hot mess, but i'm sure the results will be amazing.

OVRWRKD

Ready to race!
Just curious, Why has no one gone to the extent of deleting the rain tray piece and relocating the ECU, etc. I know the noise pipe and wiper motor is/was back there as well. But that's about it.

Mel did it some time ago. I didn't really like it too much. The way the bay tucks behind the strut towers made it look strange, to me at least. I chose this way to keep the heat functioning correctly and wipers in and all that. To smooth the tray you would actually have to make one. My ecu is in the car, and I plan on redoing the engine harness so it comes out with one plug...so there's always next year hahaha.:thumbsup:

stepx88

Go Kart Champion
Wow I've been wanting to do this...would you want to do mine...or help lol