Thumper

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 Golf R Stg3 APR

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Unplugs car from stupid plug, turns on car (silently), pulls up to strip, gets tires hot/sticky, pulls to the line, unleashes beast down strip, puts up sick time and.... out of power. Needs to go plug car back in to stupid plug and twiddle thumbs for an hour.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 Golf R Stg3 APR
Unplugs car from stupid plug, turns on car (silently), pulls up to strip, gets tires hot/sticky, pulls to the line, unleashes beast down strip, puts up sick time and.... out of power. Needs to go plug car back in to stupid plug and twiddle thumbs for an hour.

That's no joke. Was out at Laguna Seca last year in the TTRS, guy was out there with his Model 3. Embarrassing as hell to say he smoked me. However, he was suspiciously missing from the 2 sessions in the middle of the day only to appear again for the last session. Clearly he had to leave to charge it up. Meanwhile, I just refilled with E85 from gas cans I brought with me between sessions, didn't miss a minute of track time I paid for. :ROFLMAO:

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
When you think about all of the levels of investment of time and money and research into the process and infrastructure that harvests and refines prehistoric plant sludge into 93 Octane... Plugging in is pretty simple, in many (most?) cases, by comparison.

I love my GTI, but EVs make a ton of sense for the majority of the people in the world. Also let's be realistic here, guys: Every single 8.25 second car is absolutely a 1 trick pony.

Edit: But whoever it is at Ford that thinks an electric SUV should wear the name Mustang needs to die in a fire.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 Golf R Stg3 APR
When you think about all of the levels of investment of time and money and research into the process and infrastructure that harvests and refines prehistoric plant sludge into 93 Octane... Plugging in is pretty simple, in many (most?) cases, by comparison.

And when you realize the time, money, research, and massive infrastructure that goes into making the electricity so you CAN plug it in you realize harvesting dead dino's isn't that big of a difference, and in many ways is actually easier and more reliable. lol

That plug in the wall isn't a magical portal to a limitless supply of juice plucked from nothingness. ;) And it is a plug connected to wires which have to be strung all over the land and maintained. Now, if you have perfected Tesla's long-range OTA power design that changes the topic.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
"Tesla OTA Power" to me really just sounds like Elon is trolling us with the Tunguska incident (or however you spell it).

Sure, there's lots of infrastructure to ship electricity silently to literally all of our homes and everywhere we go every day. Almost all ways of generating electricity are simpler and greener than petro. We're very near the tipping point where petroleum starts to make less sense. Blah blah blah, BP and foreign oil and beheadings and carbon monoxide poisoning and cancer near refineries and sad flowers and trees and all that.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 Golf R Stg3 APR
"Tesla OTA Power" to me really just sounds like Elon is trolling us with the Tunguska incident (or however you spell it).

I was referring to the REAL Tesla, Nikola Tesla, not the flamboyant CEO who capitalized on his name.

Sure, there's lots of infrastructure to ship electricity silently to literally all of our homes and everywhere we go every day. Almost all ways of generating electricity are simpler and greener than petro. We're very near the tipping point where petroleum starts to make less sense. Blah blah blah, BP and foreign oil and beheadings and carbon monoxide poisoning and cancer near refineries and sad flowers and trees and all that.

We're no where near the tipping point you allude to with no documentation or specifics. The vast majority of our electricity comes from coal, pretty sure you can get stoned for claiming that's simpler and greener right now. The deluded push to 'green' power is not actually better for the environment after an intelligent review of how they are made, transported, and installed plus requires massive infrastructure.

A solar farm producing the same amount of electricity as a coal plant requires something on the magnitude of.....well, let's see some examples......

Pavagada Solar Park - 13,000 acres for 2050 MW

Plant Scherer Coal - 12,000 acres produces 3520 MW

Bruce Nuclear Station - 2300 acres for 6430 MW

Do you know how many ACRES of solar or wind farms it would require to power LA? Do you understand the environmental impact of covering entire swaths of land with solar farms? Bye bye desert lizards and delicate field mice. Heck, pretty much bye bye Nevada just to power half of CA.

We will run out of land before we can power the entire planet and I can imagine the dystopian future where the sky is blotted out by solar panels and we all live in 550sq ft hovels. Hard pass man. Meanwhile, even though we have been told since the 80s that we are almost out of fossil fuels the fact remains that we have decades of fuel in the ground we know about and every year they find a new deposit, or find they misjudged the size of a known reserve.

Sad trees and cancer near refineries? You know we hear about these and yet we hear nothing about the damaging effects of lithium and silicon mining and production? Because none of those operations are allowed or feasible in the US due to our strict EPA. Almost all of the 'green' technology is produced in China and South America not only because of cheap labor but because of a wanton disregard for public safety and the environment. Virtue signalling environmentalists in the developed world can wax poetic about saving the planet but what they really care about is saving their own backyard because they clearly have no understanding of the realities. We ban plastics and fawn over garbage island in the Pacific ignoring the fact that the US does not dump any trash in the ocean and all that plastic floating out there is from Asia. So we come up with solutions to ban plastic that cost more and pollute more and celebrate while it has no effect on plastic pollution and does create more pollution to make and dispose of.

LOL

TLDR: Green technology is blacker than coal once you look at it.

/rant

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Okay, so the tesla thing you're quoting was also what I was referencing. Cool beans.

Coal isn't the vast majority of electricity production, and it's certainly not the majority supplier of electricity in the parts of the world with the highest EV adoption rates, and it's definitely on the down swing. Funny, my best friend from Highschool works at Bruce as an RP technician 3 weeks at a time.

Let me guess... "When you really stop and think about it, a Hummer is actually greener than a Prius." Been having that same conversation for decades now.

Bolivia Salt Flats vs Centralia.

And no, we don't need to live in a 550 sqft shack, I've got an 8 year old new build home with uber levels of insulation and housewrap, lots of south facing glass and thermal mass floors so in all but the darkest of days of winter, the house remains comfortable without any heating until ~7pm (not quite passivhaus, but damn close- specifically chose the model and lot based on passivhaus design principals and the fact that the builder offered energystar certified package as an upgrade option).

Intelligently set up homes use far less energy without too much compromise. Same thing with cars. Same thing with food. It's not a bad thing to figure out how to use less.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
And when you realize the time, money, research, and massive infrastructure that goes into making the electricity so you CAN plug it in you realize harvesting dead dino's isn't that big of a difference, and in many ways is actually easier and more reliable. lol

That plug in the wall isn't a magical portal to a limitless supply of juice plucked from nothingness. ;) And it is a plug connected to wires which have to be strung all over the land and maintained. Now, if you have perfected Tesla's long-range OTA power design that changes the topic.

Charge it at home with your solar powered battery charger. And the difference between charging with electricity is definitely less expensive than dino fuel.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I was referring to the REAL Tesla, Nikola Tesla, not the flamboyant CEO who capitalized on his name.

We're no where near the tipping point you allude to with no documentation or specifics. The vast majority of our electricity comes from coal, pretty sure you can get stoned for claiming that's simpler and greener right now. The deluded push to 'green' power is not actually better for the environment after an intelligent review of how they are made, transported, and installed plus requires massive infrastructure.

A solar farm producing the same amount of electricity as a coal plant requires something on the magnitude of.....well, let's see some examples......

Pavagada Solar Park - 13,000 acres for 2050 MW

Plant Scherer Coal - 12,000 acres produces 3520 MW

Bruce Nuclear Station - 2300 acres for 6430 MW

Do you know how many ACRES of solar or wind farms it would require to power LA? Do you understand the environmental impact of covering entire swaths of land with solar farms? Bye bye desert lizards and delicate field mice. Heck, pretty much bye bye Nevada just to power half of CA.

We will run out of land before we can power the entire planet and I can imagine the dystopian future where the sky is blotted out by solar panels and we all live in 550sq ft hovels. Hard pass man. Meanwhile, even though we have been told since the 80s that we are almost out of fossil fuels the fact remains that we have decades of fuel in the ground we know about and every year they find a new deposit, or find they misjudged the size of a known reserve.

Sad trees and cancer near refineries? You know we hear about these and yet we hear nothing about the damaging effects of lithium and silicon mining and production? Because none of those operations are allowed or feasible in the US due to our strict EPA. Almost all of the 'green' technology is produced in China and South America not only because of cheap labor but because of a wanton disregard for public safety and the environment. Virtue signalling environmentalists in the developed world can wax poetic about saving the planet but what they really care about is saving their own backyard because they clearly have no understanding of the realities. We ban plastics and fawn over garbage island in the Pacific ignoring the fact that the US does not dump any trash in the ocean and all that plastic floating out there is from Asia. So we come up with solutions to ban plastic that cost more and pollute more and celebrate while it has no effect on plastic pollution and does create more pollution to make and dispose of.

LOL

TLDR: Green technology is blacker than coal once you look at it.

/rant

The vast majority of electricity production is not from coal. Natural gas is first at 38% and coal is second at 23% with nuclear energy a close third at 20%.

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/electricity/electricity-in-the-us.php

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 Golf R Stg3 APR
Let me guess... "When you really stop and think about it, a Hummer is actually greener than a Prius." Been having that same conversation for decades now.

Intelligently set up homes use far less energy without too much compromise. Same thing with cars. Same thing with food. It's not a bad thing to figure out how to use less.

Those statements are counter intuitive. While the comparison between the Hummer and the Prius is based on the old nickel based Prius not the updated lithium based the issues it addresses are similar. And it's great to use it to discredit a valid argument isn't it? I mean it sounds ludicrous on the face of it (even though at one point it was actually true), but what about a non-ludicrous comparison in the interest of intelligent debate and not fallacy laced arguments? Do the overall cost comparison as well as environmental impact of apples to apples. The Prius is a small 4 person sedan. The Kia Rio is a small 4 person sedan.

If you want to talk solutions you have to address the totality of the offered solution. To what comparison of "using less" are you working with? Are you considering the energy needed to mine the materials and move them? Are you considering the energy needed to manufacture and move the final product to the factory? Are you also then addressing the energy needed to recycle and safely dispose of the EOL product? What about the space needed in landfills to dump the waste after it has been rendered inert?

BTW, Natural Gas is not a "green" recognized fuel source, so again for those touting "zero emissions" and ignoring where that electricity comes from the point remains. Coal was used as a gross example and while not the "majority" of our power make up (nothing is really a majority as we use many different methods) it is a large source and proves the point that solar can not even replace coal, it certainly can't replace NG.

And no, we don't need to live in a 550 sqft shack, I've got an 8 year old new build home with uber levels of insulation and housewrap, lots of south facing glass and thermal mass floors so in all but the darkest of days of winter, the house remains comfortable without any heating until ~7pm (not quite passivhaus, but damn close- specifically chose the model and lot based on passivhaus design principals and the fact that the builder offered energystar certified package as an upgrade option).

That's great, and I am sure your situation is exactly replicable for everyone else on the planet. ;) I point you to CA where they can't even keep their lights on right NOW, and while the argument is always that EVs don't take a lot of power I wonder if anyone making that argument considers the fact that millions of vehicles no matter how small the need is still a MILLION units being plugged in. lol

The facts are there for anyone to see them, if you don't want to see them that's fine. Let's see what happens in 2030 unless the sheep in CA come to their senses. There's no way for CA to meet it's current energy needs, and even if they wanted to there is no way to fix that within 10 years with the roadblocks to building new plants, the refusal to even allow nuclear, and they are going to stop allowing new gas powered vehicles. If the state isn't a pile of ash by then we'll all get a front row seat to seeing exactly why moving everything to electric while crippling the electric producing industries is a moronic idea and an example the world should take to heart.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Why is car footage getting so bad? I get that you got the 8 second scene using 18 cameras but why show the scene using all 18 cameras? Seriously i cant even put together who fast it actually looks that way seeing .3 seconds at a time