GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Multi-car peeps

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
Just curious what other cars you guys have or would have in addition to your mk6? I'm always looking at different stuff.... I would consider adding something in addition to the GTI. Preferably would keep this car super nice unless I found something I couldn't live without and needed the funds.

Was just looking at some miatas after watching a vid online lol... Maybe a mk7 or Tiguan or mk8 when it comes out. Or even a domestic v8 project... Or some sort of classic. I don't discriminate, I'm a full blown addict. I've made some pretty poor car purchasing decisions in the past lmao

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
My Jeep Wrangler is super fun, especially top off. Also had an R56 Mini Cooper S that I loved. I hear Miatas are a good choice, but I would want something a little different. Maybe an S2000.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
Nice KevinC

I've seen a handful of S2000's lately for sale. One was stock and they wanted all the moneys.

I had been looking at early 2000's mustangs before I got the GTI. Like a Mach 1 or something with the 32v engine. The prices on those and Cobras are insane if they are clean/low mileage. I had an 04 Cobra when it was new and man that thing ripped but it was a pile of crap. Maybe I just had bad luck with it.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
When I pay my R off in ~3.5 years, I'm going to pick up a 5.0 GT or 6th gen Camaro SS as a 3rd car. Also considering a Cayman S or Corvette. Depends on if I want the option of stuffing my kids in the backseat on occasion.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
IMG_0275.PNG

My boys, Hans and Franz.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
When I pay my R off in ~3.5 years, I'm going to pick up a 5.0 GT or 6th gen Camaro SS as a 3rd car. Also considering a Cayman S or Corvette. Depends on if I want the option of stuffing my kids in the backseat on occasion.

New GT's are nice. I worked on a lot of the 6th gen Camaro's. SS, ZL1, 1LE not sure why but just didn't really like them that much. Did a lot of builds on the LT1/4 engines.

What model vette were you considering?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I have a 2003 C5 Z06 that's supercharged as my fun car (was NA track car before). It's nice having a second car that's more of a fun or project car that you're willing to accept a little more of the tradeoffs associated with modding. It's also a great backup car for when I do have mods/maint to do on the primary car. I just installed intercooler and broke those damn brackets. While I was waiting for parts it worked fine as a work commuter for a couple days.

Before this I had a NB Miata that had a custom turbo kit and standalone ECU all done and tuned by me.

Tons of good options for a second 'fun' car, just depends on what you want out of it and what appeals to you! Miata was the first time I really did a lot of big mods and learned a lot along the way. I also really got into tuning stuff, which was a lot of fun and easily to learn everything on a nice standalone ECU where there's great documentation and you're not working around stock ecu limitations etc.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
I have a 2003 C5 Z06 that's supercharged as my fun car (was NA track car before). It's nice having a second car that's more of a fun or project car that you're willing to accept a little more of the tradeoffs associated with modding. It's also a great backup car for when I do have mods/maint to do on the primary car. I just installed intercooler and broke those damn brackets. While I was waiting for parts it worked fine as a work commuter for a couple days.

Before this I had a NB Miata that had a custom turbo kit and standalone ECU all done and tuned by me.

Tons of good options for a second 'fun' car, just depends on what you want out of it and what appeals to you! Miata was the first time I really did a lot of big mods and learned a lot along the way. I also really got into tuning stuff, which was a lot of fun and easily to learn everything on a nice standalone ECU where there's great documentation and you're not working around stock ecu limitations etc.

I like me a nice C5 Z. Probably one of my favorites was an electron blue that had an LPE TT setup. Docile(no cam) and made a lot of power. Drove like stock until you built boost and that thing hauled ass.

Always was interested in learning tuning. Agreed having a project on the side that you don't rely on for daily transportation is probably the best route.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Centrifugal superchargers have taken hold as the most popular easy boost option. I like turbos a lot more in general, but getting twins or single big turbo under the hood is a challenge without a lot of other drawbacks like oil pumps for the turbos, no A/C, etc. The centri setups do work really well on stock cam or mild cam. I run a mild NA cam that I had put on earlier and it worked great with boost. 11psi and it makes low 700s.

Downsides is it's low to the ground and scrapes a lot if your roads suck. When I lived in FL this was not a big problem. But now in Eastern NM/ West Texas it's more of a factor... it's really just annoying more than anything. No backseat obviously but otherwise parts are common (shared so much with the C6) and cheap, and easy to work on in general. Tuning side is good too. HPTuners and EFILive both offer very powerful full-up tuning suites for great prices.

It handles well, but it does not have razor sharp or gokart like handling of a miata. If I did coilovers and put in new control arm bushings it would probably help a lot though. Handling is actually good, it just doesn't have the same 'fun/responsive' feel as you get with some other cars. On a road course where it's more high speed and focus on being smooth, it's great.

The corvette crowd is an interesting bunch. Majority is old guys who want to go to car shows and the rest are performance enthusiasts doing crazy builds or track events etc. You get a lot of old guys coming up to you at the gas station asking questions lol.

I have a buddy with a s2k who did the usual bolt ons/standalone ECU/flex fuel E85 with boost in the future. That's a neat car too

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
Gotta crank those bolts down with all the blower stuff on the front end or it will scrape everywhere. I had a C6Z with heads/cam that made 590rw. It was fun but I eventually got used to it, and then it was going to need a clutch and I was already tired of spending money on it. I didn't really hang out with the vette crowd, but I liked dealing with them when I started selling stuff. Easiest transactions and little or no negotiating.

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
Picked up a clean LJ Wrangler not too long ago for when the weather gets crappy.

Planning to pick up a gen 2 Viper in the near future. Would’ve had one already but lack of space is a real problem.

My GTI will be replaced by a MK8 Golf R once they hit the shores.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
Never really got into jeeps but my friend has a shop and they do some pretty slick looking builds. I did get to do some light mods on a Trackhawk and gaawdamn that thing is a monster. I was not prepared for the launch control... It had a 105K msrp tho so out of my league!!

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
New GT's are nice. I worked on a lot of the 6th gen Camaro's. SS, ZL1, 1LE not sure why but just didn't really like them that much. Did a lot of builds on the LT1/4 engines.

What model vette were you considering?

I just wish the visibility was better in the Camaro.

I'd be focusing on a C6, preferably a Z06.