GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Movie and TV Recommendations

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I feel like there are a lot of young people that don't know what music is supposed to sound like.

I can't necessarily blame them, either. It's expensive to be able to listen to music "right".
Even for quality low end, you're looking at $200-$250 for a decent DAC and headphone amp, another $100-150 for a decent set of headphones, $10-20 for cables, and an expensive Tidal or Quboz subscription (which are worse than Spotify at almost everything except actual music quality).

Or you can buy a $150 pair of AirPods and you can make calls with them.

A good friend of mine spends way too much money on audio equipment -- between his living room system and his headphone/desk setup, he's well past $40k. But I'm so glad to be able to frequently hear how GOOD music can sound because it lets me save a bunch of money and find the "good enough" gear -- 90% performance for 10% cost kinda stuff. Honestly, more like 5% cost, I'm on a budget :ROFLMAO:

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
I can't necessarily blame them, either. It's expensive to be able to listen to music "right".
Even for quality low end, you're looking at $200-$250 for a decent DAC and headphone amp, another $100-150 for a decent set of headphones, $10-20 for cables, and an expensive Tidal or Quboz subscription (which are worse than Spotify at almost everything except actual music quality).

A good friend of mine spends way too much money on audio equipment -- between his living room system and his headphone/desk setup, he's well past $40k. But I'm so glad to be able to frequently hear how GOOD music can sound because it lets me save a bunch of money and find the "good enough" gear -- 90% performance for 10% cost kinda stuff. Honestly, more like 5% cost, I'm on a budget :ROFLMAO:
I have a set of air pod pros and they are odd. Random/weird issues happen regularly. When I tried to search for problems the answer was just to 'reset' them lmao

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.

I have some sony wh-1000xm2's I bought a while ago. I've considered changing to a headphone that doesn't have a built in driver so I could get a real set up with an amp and dac. I'm not really sure how these headphones compare to some real audiophile headphones though. I also rarely use headphones so it hasn't seemed worth it. Every so often I start looking at headphones anyway and I really consider it.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I have some sony wh-1000xm2's I bought a while ago. I've considered changing to a headphone that doesn't have a built in driver so I could get a real set up with an amp and dac. I'm not really sure how these headphones compare to some real audiophile headphones though. I also rarely use headphones so it hasn't seemed worth it. Every so often I start looking at headphones anyway and I really consider it.

Philips makes a killer set of cans called X2HR (the 50mm driver model) -- $150 and it kicks the socks off many higher priced headphones. Once you start getting up and up in price though, things stop being objectively better and we're now arguing about taste and preference.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Philips makes a killer set of cans called X2HR (the 50mm driver model) -- $150 and it kicks the socks off many higher priced headphones. Once you start getting up and up in price though, things stop being objectively better and we're now arguing about taste and preference.
I put em on a wishlist. They look comfy. I always seem to have a problem with that, whether its pressure on the top of your head or it being too tight against the sides of your face. Those look like I might be able to wear them for a while.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I put em on a wishlist. They look comfy. I always seem to have a problem with that, whether its pressure on the top of your head or it being too tight against the sides of your face. Those look like I might be able to wear them for a while.

They're definitely comfy. I wear glasses, so that makes so many headphones severely uncomfortable after a while. These, I could wear them for hours.

Although, disclaimer, they are open back. So using them in a noisy environment will not be the best experience for you. And on the flip side, if it's quiet around you and there's someone else in the room, they will be hearing a bit of your music. Not quite "annoying-guy-on-bus-with-bluetooth-speaker", but they'll definitely be able to tell what song you're listening to.
But since they're open back, they sound a lot bigger than lots of headphones. Really wide, deep soundstage.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
The Northman is the most authentic movie about Vikings I have ever seen. Absolutely brutal, dark, and primal... don't take your kids to see it. It's also over 2 hours long, and doesn't play out like your typical action movie, more along the lines of an epic story with ups, downs, and your not-so-standard story-telling fashion. Would recommend, would watch again, will buy once it's out.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
I've used Sony MDR series for decades. The latest is the MDR-7506.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
No cornerhorns or anything. Couple HK 430s. 2 sets of KG-4s.
Modern and still quite nice. I have an H-K tube Citation Series FM tuner and a DPR series home theater receiver that I use as a spare.

One of my pro sound systems used four Klipsch Industrial Split LaScala's, stacked on each side. They were about 8 feet tall and very easy to move and set up. I'd run the 4 ohm folded horns in parallel for 800W per side and the 4 ohm mid horn/tweet combo at 400W per side. They wouldn't break any SPL records but they played loud, crisp, and clean, and the bass at 20 feet out would push your chest. The college kids loved them.