GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MOTOR Magazine Tuner Challenge

apmitchell74

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R36 Twin Turbo Golf
I thought it would be nice to open a new thread about the Tuner Challenge..

Please leave your silly comments in the other thread:w00t:

fbruxel

stig's brother
Car(s)
07 GTI DSG
EDIT: just found the said scans... definately not what I saw in the magazine today... had a quick read, I think your R32 should have been first given that it was a "tuned car" review and not a "how good is this out of the box, with an ECU reflash"... sure the 2 porsches are great cars but I doubt the tuning improved them significantly - at least nowhere near as improved as the R32...

The comments from the journalists say it all - they were amazed at your car.. well done!

Last edited:

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
i had a very quick flick through the magazine today in a newsagency, and found it disappointing that they didn't bother to do a write up about each car - it seemed to be only 2-3 pages long and not enough detail - so I didn't bother buying it.

I used to subscribe for Motor for many years but it kept getting worse and worse... I read Top Gear Australia and Evo - you should see if TGA will do a proper review of your car, they do look at all sorts of variety for content and can afford to have decent journalists / photographers and print more than 3 sentences about your car.

There are scans of the mag online and there is at least one page per car in the pages posted and 4 or more pages with tables comparing the cars :iono:

rabbitoh

Ready to race!
i had a very quick flick through the magazine today in a newsagency, and found it disappointing that they didn't bother to do a write up about each car - it seemed to be only 2-3 pages long and not enough detail - so I didn't bother buying it.

I used to subscribe for Motor for many years but it kept getting worse and worse... I read Top Gear Australia and Evo - you should see if TGA will do a proper review of your car, they do look at all sorts of variety for content and can afford to have decent journalists / photographers and print more than 3 sentences about your car.

LOL - it went from page 32 to 82? are you sure you picked up the correct magazine?

Robby_jai

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3, AUDI Q5
anthony give me a drive!!!!!!!!!!!!! i wanna be scared shitless by your animal!! god i would give an arm and a leg to drive your beast at the track anthony!

Panman

Frequent Modder
While honoring APs result (and not wanting to sound like a Rennenhaus fanboi), Props to Ian for sorting the suspension on his R also - lets face it the two best Rs in the country are part of this forum.

:bow::bow:

Congrats guys.

We just need Ian's handling package in APs car....

Robby_jai

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3, AUDI Q5
oh yeh definitely keith!! i've seen ian's beast in action and i love it.......
if we could get ian's and anthony's car to have sex... that'll spawn some devil cars to scare the crap out of anything !!

amrjon

Ready to race!
I thought it would be nice to open a new thread about the Tuner Challenge..

Please leave your silly comments in the other thread:w00t:

Good idea, that other thread went down hill fast (

For anyone who hasn't seen it, the blue R scored highest apex speeds of the whole field ! Pretty bloddy good advertising for that suespension set up.

On the flip side, I was surpised by the awkw dyno result, would that be considered above expetced average drive line losses?

Also agree re the BFYB section, should have been some sort of % improvement from stock times per dollar type formula. The one used favours cheap cars too much.

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
AP's tester rating equal 1st. Says it all!

Ice Halo

Ready to race!
Awesome result for out forum members' R32's. Pity about the APR GTI, should have been much quicker?

Also, reiterating from the other thread the amazing result for the Ford G6ET (same as XR6T)- as fast as an Audi RS6 wagon (new model, V10TT) in a straight line, with only about $2K in engine mods.

Also found this vid of the event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNY4sh8FWVg

Sounds/looks like the APR Golf GTI at ~2:08?

bug_racer

Passed Driver's Ed
Tuner challenge

Ive read the article and now can give my opinions :fighting0030:

Rennenhaus R32

Ian can be commended on the suspension set-up on the car . Impressing judges with the cars ability to tackle corners . This can all be put down to Ians constant search for the perfect compromise between ride quality and handling with a lot of testing at the track . Too get this much praise and the fastest Apex speeds in some instances with a real nose heavy car gets my thumbs up . I can only imagine how good this car will become once Ian starts modifying the engine :thumbsup:

Evolve Polo GTI

Winner of bang for buck shows where the car shines . The times show its a simple well sorted package . This is also probably the limit for the Polo in terms of power and the ability to deliver it smoothly without traction issues . It was an interesting choice with the wheels . It would have helped with the launching at the drags ,but slowed them down around the circuit . Those TT wheels are quite heavy !

APR Golf

A serious bit of gear that isnt completely balanced . The 1/4 times show its slow , the judges comment on how its constantly breaking traction . You wont win any races by spinning wheels ! The suspension set up is the cars downfall . Im wondering if a Pirelli with a chip and v3's would fare better ? Who knows . Would be good to see the full drag strip run to see how well it accelerates in the last 200m when it should have traction !

Evolve RS6

Wow , flashing it on the way there ! Gotta love that . Although unmodified to any degree ,it still pulls impressive figures at the dragstrip ,but it is too heavy . I dont know if suspension / brakes etc will really make it a track weapon without reducing the weight .

City Performance R32

Looks like the most complete packaged car out there . Everything works and works well . Finding flaws in this car will be hard . If this was my car the only thing I would play with would be the spring rates to attempt to get a higher Apex speed , oh and probably lighten it too ,but then again Id do that to any car regardless :thumbsup: . Im still curious about the cars output on the dyno . There was no mention of issues with dynoing the car with the dsg . If it is only making 250kw atws id be more so impressed with the car :thumbsup: . The invite is there to dyno the car on a mainline dyno next dyno day . Todd knows how to dyno DSG cars :thumbup:

All up it was a good read . All who entered can be commended on allowing your cars to get flogged !!! :w00t:

shauno

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW Golf MkV GTI
Congrats to Ian & Anthony - great write-ups on both.

Amazing to see Ian's R get the fastest apex speed! Epic!

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
Im still curious about the cars output on the dyno . There was no mention of issues with dynoing the car with the dsg . If it is only making 250kw atws id be more so impressed with the car :thumbsup: .

Anthony mentioned in the other thread they had issues dynoing it with DSG in that it just shut down or something so that 250kw was only at 4500rpm or something!!

apmitchell74

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R36 Twin Turbo Golf
City Performance R32

Im still curious about the cars output on the dyno . There was no mention of issues with dynoing the car with the dsg . If it is only making 250kw atws id be more so impressed with the car :thumbsup: . The invite is there to dyno the car on a mainline dyno next dyno day . Todd knows how to dyno DSG cars :thumbup: QUOTE]

Thanks for all the kind comments, didn't think a leopard could change it's spots:biggrin:
No they didn't meantion the dyno problems and i will be speaking to them about a few things as you said everyone did put there cars on the line to be thrashed and should have everything printed correctly.. Don't me wrong i am wrapped with the result of the car but all the pricing iis very wrong and there are just to many mistakes... Don't forget this is advertising for a business and some people may be scared of the pricing, my car has been setup with the intension of twin turbo... All i have to do is put two new turbo's and a new tune and off we go....

If you don't remember bugracer mainline couldn't dyno my lotus exige because of wheel spin and gave up trying...:iono:
We tried to dyno the Turbo R on another dyno not a hub dyno and had the DSG frecking out..:thumbdown:
I would love to see what my car does on a 4wd dyno but it is just to much trouble.:thumbup: