GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

[Mostly solved] Wheel hop

Muzdub

Ready to race!
TL; DR - Set XDS to WEAK or OFF

I just wanted to put this information out there as confirmed, because it took me a while to find, and even then I was dubious about whether it would have any impact.

Loved my car once the first batch of mod's was complete.... and then it started raining. I thought I was prepared for that with the 034 dogbone mount, but no. Running this kind power through the fronts meant the car would still try to throw the engine and transmission through the firewall, and destroy the dashboard. It was extremely frustrating!
I started looking at engine and transmission mounts, which I'll still probably get at some point, however after reading somewhere that XDS (different to ECS) exacerbated the wheel hop problem, and that reduced XDS strength helped, I thought I'd give it a try about a month ago, since if you have an after-market diff or the PP diff XDS is essentially redundant.

It works much better than you would imagine. I would describe the before and after as follows:

XDS Stock setting
Wheel slip, XDS brake applies + wheels grip, wheel hop, dashboard tries to destroy itself, let of the accelerator, roll slowly back on the accelerator to avoid repeating the cycle.

XDS Weak setting
Wheel slip, grip, slip, grip, gone.

Much smoother and more organic wet acceleration, playful when you get slip movement in the wet, alike loss of traction in rwd cars.
I have XDS set to Weak, and yes undercertain conditions like accelrating hard on an incline in the wet, it is still possible to get some wheel hop, but its managable and less destructive.

I can't take credit for this information, but if you haven't already tried DO IT NOW, and feel free to thank me for making you try it out later ;)

OBDEleven method
XDS Adjustment
Select Control unit 03 (ABS)
Adaptation
Select: Expanded Electronic Differential Lock
Options: Weak-Normal-Hard

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
i had someone else say "Strong" was the setting which helps wheel hop, so i have heard two completely different opinions now.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
i had someone else say "Strong" was the setting which helps wheel hop, so i have heard two completely different opinions now.
My argument was that "Starting vibration reduction" being disabled, increased wheel hop for me. I set it back to default. Not sure I've ever messed with "Expanded Electronic Differential Lock" setting.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
100% gonna try this; mine was set to strong; didn't think anything of it.

FTR i have a solid dogbone mount, BFI Stage 1 engine and 034 trans mount. Should NOT be getting wheel hop but alas, get tons of it.

Stage 2, Performance package, manual

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
I'm assuming this only works with people that have the Limited Slip/performance package?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
100% gonna try this; mine was set to strong; didn't think anything of it.

FTR i have a solid dogbone mount, BFI Stage 1 engine and 034 trans mount. Should NOT be getting wheel hop but alas, get tons of it.

Stage 2, Performance package, manual

Checking back in - i finally coded this last night and FUCK YEAH!! Dropped the clutch in 1st and she just went 'SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!' buttery smooth. I had a shit eating grin.

Not that i like to or plan to do a lot of burnouts but it sure is nice to know that if i break traction in 1st or 2nd, the engine won't buck through the hood!

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Medium i think.

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
I've had my XDS on weak for about 2 years, wheel hop with my torque solution insert only ever happened in 1st gear in the rain.

Until I put 255s on. Launched once and had the worst wheel hop I've ever felt, and I believe damaged some part of my dogbone. Haven't gotten under it to check since I can still drive it, but 3rd and 5th are now a bit tricky to find on the upshift.

mike-y

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI / 2016 R
thanks for this MuzDub! I changed these setting this weekend and when accelerating hard out of a corner in 2nd gear, I saw the TC light flashing on, but no wheel hop! just some mild tire slipping that didn't upset the car at all. Did it again when blasting through my favorite on ramp this morning - it's 100% better than it was before when controlling tire slip.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
yeah, to be fair in my post above i had only tried a burnout one time with success. i tried again with my wife in the car over the weekend and had wheel hop. Seems to have to do with 'how' the traction is broken. lol.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
But I don't get wheel hop ever since I got better tires.