GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

More Clowning Around: R32

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
No gas tanks. I can ask around for driveshafts if you really want them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need do need a driveshaft (propshaft) and a fuel tank, but shipping is gonna be a bit cost prohibitive I'd bet lol.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
The whole bearing separated when it came off this weekend. Good thing I did it now. [emoji28]

Question - some people like to take the whole knuckle off the strut... it seems easier to just hit the bearing with a mallet or an air hammer till it comes out tho. Less things to disconnect. Plus putting the assembly back into the strut is a pain in the ass. Is there a reason to do it one way or the other?

The other side was easy. We Forgot to put the heat shields back on when the whole things buttoned up. Almost just left them off but then went back and added it all back on. It would have bothered me like crazy.

These new brake caliper carriers are nifty. Downsized from 370mm rotors to oem sized 345? 340? I don’t remember at the moment. R32 oem sized. Lost some weight; cheaper rotors; might buy another set of these carriers for the GTI and buy some 2 piece rotors for it now that I know they fit perfectly for golfs using these calipers.

Still feeling some vibration. The suspension is good; inspected everything this weekend. Maybe I bent a wheel/it’s bent this winter. Or it’s out of balance. These Omanyts I’m using as winter wheels are whooooped. Picked up cheap intending to refinish them and I’ve never actually used them till this winter.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Went to get one used wheel straightened. Turned into a whole ordeal. The one wheel I brought over was actually straight, despite having a lot of weights on it. So I hauled the other 3 over to the place and it turns out that all the other 3, not the single one I originally had intended to straighten, is bent.

Kicker - one also had a hairline fracture hidden underneath the tire. Got that one welded since it was almost imperceptible but I didn’t want to mess with this on a daily car. Straightened the welded one and the worst bent one; left the last one with a tiny wiggle. Remounted the tires and after letting them sit in disgust for a wheel, finally mounted them tonight. At 1AM.

At least they look nice? Not bad for 11 year old oem wheels that have been through the wringer. Pics in the morning.

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
Went to get one used wheel straightened. Turned into a whole ordeal. The one wheel I brought over was actually straight, despite having a lot of weights on it. So I hauled the other 3 over to the place and it turns out that all the other 3, not the single one I originally had intended to straighten, is bent.

Kicker - one also had a hairline fracture hidden underneath the tire. Got that one welded since it was almost imperceptible but I didn’t want to mess with this on a daily car. Straightened the welded one and the worst bent one; left the last one with a tiny wiggle. Remounted the tires and after letting them sit in disgust for a wheel, finally mounted them tonight. At 1AM.

At least they look nice? Not bad for 11 year old oem wheels that have been through the wringer. Pics in the morning.

How much did the wheel straightening run? I have now 3 different sets of OEM wheels two sets are for sure bent, the Karthoums I’m not sure of. But I’m running the Detroit’s and I love the look of them and I’d like to keep them.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
It cost me about $300 OTD in Ohio for 2 wheels straightened (one was also welded). I mounted them myself or they would have charged me to remount and balance.

I love the tint of Tornado Red in the black pearl these were painted in.

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
It cost me about $300 OTD in Ohio for 2 wheels straightened (one was also welded). I mounted them myself or they would have charged me to remount and balance.

I love the tint of Tornado Red in the black pearl these were painted in.

Very nice! Thanks!

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Mk5 is having issues. Will pull codes tonight and start into diag.

So far all I know is that at operating temp the check charging system error light (“red battery”) goes on and climatronic refuses to function. It goes from auto to 50% then dies entirely. Then I can’t get it to blow AC at all till the car cools off.

Hoping it’s something like an 02 sensor or another sensor - if it’s something in the AC assembly it might be my time to do that whole ~2.5k chains/guides/pump/thermostat/valve cover service. Which i don’t really want to do.

Edit: looks like it’s something with the battery, alternator, starter etc. might be driving the mk6 to work for a few days... must drain or it’ll be a hella expensive commute tho.

Last edited:

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Alternator was hitting 11.2 running. Then a few days later 10.7. Stopped driving it. Bought everything. Alternator, pulley, idler, tensioner, hardware, soup to nuts and cocaine. Actually that would have been cheaper. Oh well. 11 year old daily. Guesses on what breaks next?

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
Alternator was hitting 11.2 running. Then a few days later 10.7. Stopped driving it. Bought everything. Alternator, pulley, idler, tensioner, hardware, soup to nuts and cocaine. Actually that would have been cheaper. Oh well. 11 year old daily. Guesses on what breaks next?

I had a alternator start fail on vacation down in Santa Monica few yrs ago. That battery/ charging system light while running usually points to it failing. Battery is for starting the motor. It’s pretty expensive alternator As well.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
I had a alternator start fail on vacation down in Santa Monica few yrs ago. That battery/ charging system light while running usually points to it failing. Battery is for starting the motor. It’s pretty expensive alternator As well.

Yup it is an expensive alternator. [emoji2358] Things are working good again for now at least! I just figured that error light was for anything charging system related so I started from the battery and worked up - new battery so... that was easy. We are in that stage where things will keep on breaking every couple months I think, just from age and wear.

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
Yup it is an expensive alternator. [emoji2358] Things are working good again for now at least! I just figured that error light was for anything charging system related so I started from the battery and worked up - new battery so... that was easy. We are in that stage where things will keep on breaking every couple months I think, just from age and wear.

Idk dude, mine’s at 240k & not too much going wrong at all. Def had more issues with 2.0t & was glad to get rid of it. My .:R was (& continues to be) well maintained. Gonna run it into the ground rather then get some newer overpriced POS.