GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MkV wheel/tire fitment guide

syphon2119

I purchased 18x8.5 et45 for my mkv i am lowered 1.5" was wondering if i could use my 10mm spacers on a 225/40/r18 to make it et35 all around? dont want to modify fenders at all what do you think?

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
I purchased 18x8.5 et45 for my mkv i am lowered 1.5" was wondering if i could use my 10mm spacers on a 225/40/r18 to make it et35 all around? dont want to modify fenders at all what do you think?

Maybe. It'll be very close. The back will be no problem the front will probably rub depending on how stiff your suspension is. Do the fender screw mod, roll your fenders and you should be okay.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Yeah 18x8.5 ET45 is pretty flush with the fenders already....pushing it out 10mm's might be asking for trouble/rubbing, unless you want to do the extra work of rolling the fenders

bagoly14

Wanted a second opinion on spacers...was thinking going 10mm front and back, I'm gonna need the clearance up front and going for an aggressive fitment.

Koni 1150
18x9.5 et 40 all around (will have fender work done, no problem)
225/35 or 225/40 all around
10mm spacer all around

Think this would work or am I dreaming? Maybe go 5mm front and 8mm back? Not quite sure what would be the best...

Last edited:

DerekH

Ready to race!
It depends on how low you are and what you are going for. you might need a 3mm or so on the front just to get them to clear the strut. Might get away without it but its gonna me damn close. I think the rears would be fine without. If you want more poke than that you'll need more fender work if you want to tuck and run a 225. for perspective my 9inch et 45 would tuck just fine when i ran a 225/45/17. but if you want to add what amounts to another 21mm (with a 10mm) of poke to that you are going to be into the fenders for sure. again, depending on how low you are.

bagoly14

It depends on how low you are and what you are going for. you might need a 3mm or so on the front just to get them to clear the strut. Might get away without it but its gonna me damn close. I think the rears would be fine without. If you want more poke than that you'll need more fender work if you want to tuck and run a 225. for perspective my 9inch et 45 would tuck just fine when i ran a 225/45/17. but if you want to add what amounts to another 21mm (with a 10mm) of poke to that you are going to be into the fenders for sure. again, depending on how low you are.

Well as low as I can go without rubbing of course :biggrin:

I'm aiming for something like this, the front doesn't have enough poke but the back has too much poke - something in between the two.

I was told over on the tex that I will clear the strut with the Koni 1150 because they have a slant/indent so I can clear the strut without any spacers (but I will run a spacer for sure anyway). I guess the only way to properly do this is to fitment test and go from there...hate buying stuff I won't need or not having stuff I do need when it's time to install :mad0259: haha

DerekH

Ready to race!
if you already have the wheels just put them on and grab a measuring tape. Makes it so there is no guessing. I would think that you'll be pretty close to what you want for the rears with out the spacers.You'll probably want at least the 5mm spacers on the front. How low you can get will depend on how much fender work you are willing to do.

bagoly14

if you already have the wheels just put them on and grab a measuring tape. Makes it so there is no guessing. I would think that you'll be pretty close to what you want for the rears with out the spacers.You'll probably want at least the 5mm spacers on the front. How low you can get will depend on how much fender work you are willing to do.

I think so too, but I am pretty sure I will need an extra spacer in the back and more extra spacer in the front too...Guess I will be on the hunt for spacers and new lugs when I get the Miros in April.

Btw, what do you think of the DR Series TRAK+ Hub Adapters?

https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Wheels/Adapters/ES1899551/

Would it be more worthwhile to run those in the front and back over hubcentrics rings + spacers? Curious to your opinion on them since not many people have discussed them but they seem to be a good option if everything is measured out.

DerekH

Ready to race!
A single piece solution is always better than two as far as I'm concerned. stacking adapters on adapters is less than ideal. I'd wait on ordering them till you have the wheels though. Unfortunately toleranceing on wheels is kinda weird and sometimes two wheels the same width and offset but from different companies end up in slightly different spots. The other issue you may find you have is your car will be a little uneven side to side. So, if you want a precise fit its better to have them on hand and throw in a test fit. stoked to see them mounted up. make sure you post up some pics when they are on.

bagoly14

I agree, it's why I'd like the hub adapters since I've heard people having issues with hubcentric rings melting, breaking, etc...and having spacers on top of hubcentric rings doesn't sound fun - but don't want to drop the money without being sure on the spacing.

Will definitely post pics when stance is done, ordering the Votex Lip and R32 bumper soon too - the GTI is undergoing some big transformations next month :]

DerekH

Ready to race!
I agree, it's why I'd like the hub adapters since I've heard people having issues with hubcentric rings melting, breaking, etc...and having spacers on top of hubcentric rings doesn't sound fun - but don't want to drop the money without being sure on the spacing.

Will definitely post pics when stance is done, ordering the Votex Lip and R32 bumper soon too - the GTI is undergoing some big transformations next month :]

I haven't had any issues with hub rings personally but i can definitely see potential for them to be a hassle. I've had the set that i use for at least 4 years now, they are getting a bit chewed up from having to pry them off every time i switch to winter mode. I'm sure that is where people end up breaking them. But no major issues really.

brembo 6 pot has better clearance than 4 pot?

Not to my knowledge, the 4 pots that run on stock rotors will fit under a lot of 16 inch wheels. to my knowledge the 17z 6 pot calipers wont fit under any 16 inch wheels.

Two-Bit

Alright, the guide says with stock height I should be able to put 245/35/18s on. I have the stock rims I believe I read the offset is around 50 and the rims are 18x8? The more I read on the forums the more I'm confused. Granted most of them I've read are lowered but they all seem to say the 245s won't work. Right now I have 225/40/18s on. anyone have real world exp with tires that wide with stock suspension? Question 2 is there any real performance gain in making that switch, I need new summer tires anyway

DerekH

Ready to race!
You'll be fine running the wider tire. I run a 255 and i'm lowered, i ran a 255 at stock height as well. You will get some performance gains. as far as acceleration and corner exit speed. But as has been discussed at great length it will likely reduce your top speed because of the amount more rotational mass and drag caused by a wider tire. If your wheels are anything less than an 8 inch i wouldn't bother with a wider tire. you won't get a whole lot more contact patch because the tire won't fit square on the wheel.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
I ran a 245/35-ZR18 on an 18x8.5 et45 wheel at stock height for a year. On the road it doesn't rub, on the track or while autocrossing it does. The stock wheels are 18x7.5 et51 I believe, if you want to run a 245 I'd be looking at an 8.5" et45 wheel. They'll fit if you're lowered too, you just need a little camber.

You'll get better turn in and grip with the wider tires but if it's just a street car there really isn't a need for it. If you do autocross/track events then yes.